iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Danny's New Toy

Started by Red Clay Hound, August 27, 2012, 08:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Clay Hound

Here are a couple of shots of Danny with his new (gently used) mill.  After a little excitement, we got the mill loaded on the trailer yesterday evening with no major damage! smiley_anxious  This morning, I fed him grits and sent him on his way. smiley_clapping

2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Weekend_Sawyer

Congratulations Danny!  8)

An LT15 AND grits, what a deal!!! :)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 27, 2012, 08:27:30 AM
Thought he had a LT15?
He did.  This one has a 25 hp. engine vs. 15 with the old mill.  This one also has an extra bed section and is 6 years newer.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

Raider Bill

Ah... I figured he was going bigger with hydraulics..  ;D

Magicman

And the saga continues.   8)   Congrats to both of you.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Raider Bill on August 27, 2012, 08:39:27 AM
Ah... I figured he was going bigger with hydraulics..  ;D
I think Mr. Hamsley likes to keep things simple.  Except of course when he is describing the differences between the wood properties of Pignut Hickory vs. Mockernut Hickory. ;D ;D

Meadows Miller

Gday

and Congrats on the new to you mill Danny  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8) Your not getting into this multi mill ownership are you now Mate   :-\ ;) :D :D

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Burlkraft

Congrtas Danny!  8)

Nuthin' like an upgade
Why not just 1 pain free day?

metalspinner

Can you bolt both mill beds togetehr in length?

I'm still wondering how your gonna run both mills at the same time. :-\ :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

DanG

He can bolt the tracks together end to end, then put both mills on it in tandem.  Just set the back one an inch lower than the front one, and away he goes.  He can now cut twice as much lumber as Jake! 8) 8) 8)

Good thing he ate them grits!
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

tcsmpsi

In the excitement over the grits, he didn't forget the trailer, did he?    ;D

Well, the shed ain't big enough, now.  But, I've no doubt there is figuring going on in that calculatin' brain.   :D

Personally, I think it is swell!  Congratulations, Danny!  (gettin' kinda wild lookin' with 'retirement' and all)   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: DanG on August 27, 2012, 09:33:42 AM
He can bolt the tracks together end to end, then put both mills on it in tandem.  Just set the back one an inch lower than the front one, and away he goes.  He can now cut twice as much lumber as Jake! 8) 8) 8)

Good thing he ate them grits!
Now you're talkin' DanG!  That's some sophisticated thinkin' you're doin' there.  I can't wait to see that setup! :D :D

Jemclimber

Congratulations!!!!  I'm not sure what the clamps look like, hopefully the older swing up style.  I love my 15 with the exceptions of the clamps that should be upgraded soon. 
lt15

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JUICY

Very nice Danny....and I mean VERY NICE!  smiley_thumbsup

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

paul case

Don't get too excited to see 2 lt 15's together or an addition on the shed since the wdh's older lt15 is up for sale.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,60240.0.html

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

slider

way to go danny,I like it.   al
al glenn

Radar67

Now he just needs to figure out how to run them both at once to double his production.... ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Sixacresand

"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

scsmith42

Nice score Danny!  Congrats on the new toyl!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

Quote from: Radar67 on August 27, 2012, 12:42:52 PM
Now he just needs to figure out how to run them both at once to double his production.... ;)

Danny is not only very ingenious but also energetic. I'm sure he can make that work! ;D

Texas Ranger

he is keeping strangely silent, not like  him.  There is a plot afoot.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Holmes

Good move Dan, double the pleasure double the fun...  8)
Think like a farmer.

Dodgy Loner

Very nice Danny, you're lucky I live on a 1/2 acre lot or that sawmill may have been headed to Mississippi :D

I understand the process of loading the mill caused a bit more excitement than anticipated - glad to see it's still in one piece. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 27, 2012, 03:32:37 PM
he is keeping strangely silent, no like  him.  There is a plot afoot.

Why don't you like him?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 27, 2012, 05:31:34 PM

what?

I think Brother Been is referring to your typo. You wrote, "no like him".......you meant to say, "NOT like him".

Texas Ranger

Well, who could not like Danny Boy, really, it is just he is strangely silent on this matter.

Raider Bill

He's out there playing with his new toy grinning ear to ear! ;D

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 27, 2012, 05:48:28 PM
Well, who could not like Danny Boy, really, it is just he is strangely silent on this matter.
smiley_gossip
He had some important consultin' work to do today - I think this one is a paying gig.  I'm sure he will respond when he gets back home and gets his equipment unloaded.

customsawyer

Great score Danny. While you have it on the trailer bring it on down for the "sycamore project" and I will let you do the work as I supervise.  :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

cutterboy

Nice going Danny. The saw dust will be flying faster and farther now with the bigger engine. ;D 8)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Okrafarmer

No excuses now on the pecan.  Those 15's are all that and a bucket of chicken, as one of my friends would say.  ;D

As I mentioned, another friend of mine has an LT-15 and uses it regularly on tropical hardwood.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

thecfarm

Probaly he still sick from eating the grits.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tree Feller

Quote from: thecfarm on August 27, 2012, 08:38:17 PM
Probaly he still sick from eating the grits.  :D

Must not have had any hog jowl with them.  ;D

Congrats on the new mill, Danny.
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

fat olde elf

Good going WDH.  Too bad you didn't "win" 10 new bands at the Pig Roast. I got home Sunday evening, called WM Monday about noon and the bands were on my porch Wednesday afternoon.  What are you asking for your old LT 15 ?
Say your prayers.............
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

isawlogs

Ray, you have probably the only explanation , the grits have him laid up...  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

schakey

food1 GRITS  food6
Good buy Danny,you now have what I will buy  ;D
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Norm

And here I thought he was selling his mill to buy a sports car...isn't he always the practical one of us.  :D

Okrafarmer

Quote from: schakey on August 28, 2012, 05:11:54 AM
food1 GRITS  food6

??? You're going to buy some grits? Ok.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

thecfarm

Piston was late on that line.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

For some reason, I have felt like that I was being talked about behind my back  :).

Ray, I told the Hound that you would especially appreciate the grits he cooked for breakfast with the scrambled eggs, bacon, biscuits, jelly, juice, and coffee.  When I saw those grits, I immediately thought of you.  I told him that you maintain a special relationship with grits, and that you would be sure to respond :D.

Since the Hound went and bought a LT40 super hydraulic, his little LT15 was begging for a new home, so I agreed to adopt it as I am a proven LT15 foster parent.  My older LT15 has grown up and is ready to leave the nest.  It will make someone a fine mill.

The extra 10 HP and the added length will be nice.  I love the set-up with the LT15 on a permanent base, and it is perfect for what I do.   

Oh, and as I have thought back on it, our loading procedure for loading the mill on the trailer could have been improved  :).  As I learned at work, strive for continuous improvement  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

We might of been sitting down enjoying the same breakfast at the same time.That sounds just like what I was having.

But no grits in Chesterville.   ;D

Red Clay Hound

Welcome back Danny!  Everyone was beginning to worry about you.  Apparently they are not used to the silent treatment.  And you don't have to tell all our secrets! smiley_sweat_drop lol

WDH

Quote from: thecfarm on August 28, 2012, 09:48:45 PM
But no grits joy in Chesterville.   ;D

:D

Hound,

My lips are sealed.  We would not want anyone to steal our proprietary loading techniques  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DanG

If one is to improve, one must leave room for improvement.  In that light, I suspect you gentlemen did a fine job loading that mill. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: DanG on August 28, 2012, 11:25:21 PM
If one is to improve, one must leave room for improvement. 

You've always had a way with words, DanG. That quote's going in my memory bank :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

"If you get too good, you can't get any better."

:D

DanG Dan.

isawlogs

"Da boys not quite right...."  and a few more he has told me in person , that if I was to put down here I would be spending a spell in the newlly relocated shed  :-\   ;) 
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Okrafarmer

As I understand it, there are at least three degrees (maybe more) of the boy not being right.

1. That boy ain't right.
2. That boy just ain't right.
3. That boy just ain't never been right!

Magicman

But what when we find out that he was right and we were....... ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Well, sometimes we just have to swallow our pride and admit-- we were-- we were-- we were-- we were wrong.

Texas Ranger

News of his demise have been greatly exaggerated.

WDH

This boy is still kickin'. 

Ga Mtn Man

Congrats on the new mill, Danny. 8)  I'll have to stop by and see it next time  I'm heading south to visit dear old Mom.  :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Paul,

You are welcome!

FF member Red sent me a PM and asked if I was upgrading to a pitched roof on my shed  :D.  That is funny if you know the history  ;D.

Don K

Congrats on the increased hp and length. 8) 8)  You will enjoy the longer bed. The 25 ought to help with all the hardwood you saw.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

mometal77

Not a bad looking machine you got there.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

schakey

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 28, 2012, 07:46:53 AM
food1 GRITS  food6

Yes sir! Then we will work on getting the LT125.
Think-Dream-Plan-Do

schakey

Think-Dream-Plan-Do

Okrafarmer

Quote from: schakey on September 01, 2012, 05:32:48 AM
Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 28, 2012, 07:46:53 AM
food1 GRITS  food6

Yes sir! Then we will work on getting the LT125.

Quote from: schakey on September 01, 2012, 05:33:38 AM
I mean LT15

I'm just waiting to see if they come out with an LT-80. Something that'll take, oh, say, a 48" log.

Nomad

LT 80 AHDE 25 S, Wood-Mizer
Basic model incl. carriage and drive unit
First year: 2001
Last year: 2003
Wood-Mizer LT 80 AHDE 25 S - Special Equipment:
0 Levelling blade
0 Log lifter
0 Roughing tap (cutter)
0 Mechanical Infeed
0 Slice thickness calculator
Wood-Mizer LT 80 AHDE 25 S - Technical Specification
Net weight
2600 kg

Drive
E

Power
18,5 kW

Saw type
B

Log throughput Ø
950 mm

Log length
8,4 m

Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

tyb525

I believe the LT80 was available in Europe only.

Could take a 37" log
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

mikeb1079

wdh have you run the new mill yet?  how does the increased hp affect performance?  just curious on a comparison between the two.   8)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

No, the new one is still on the trailer.  I need to sell and move the old one first so that I can put the new one on the same foundation.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2012, 08:23:29 PM
No, the new one is still on the trailer.  I need to sell and move the old one first so that I can put the new one on the same foundation.

Donate it to the Smithsonian Institute and deduct it from your taxes.  ;D

WDH

If somebody don't buy it soon, that is what I will do  :).

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on September 03, 2012, 08:37:07 PM
If somebody don't buy it soon, that is what I will do  :).

This would be the time for everybody to start remembering if they are part of a non-profit organization.  ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I just remembered that they designated my place as the Florida Panhandle Extension Office of the Smithsonian Sawmill Institute...  :D

Herb

isawlogs

From what I can see from last year, I am a non profit outfit .... :-\  Am I eligible  ???

Marcel

WDH

David,

See what you started?  There non-profits around here that I never heard of.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on September 04, 2012, 08:04:26 PM
David,

See what you started?  There non-profits around here that I never heard of.

Only in America!  :D

WDH

Right.  North America  :D.

Texas Ranger

From what I see about everybody in the wood business this last year is a non profit organization.

isawlogs

I have competition  ???  :-\ 

Marcel

Okrafarmer

OneWithWood

Nice work getting the new mill, Danny 8)

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

samandothers

Congrats on the new er mill.  More power, more production more projects!

Thank You Sponsors!