iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ATV "Quadskidder" Users ?

Started by logbutcher, March 11, 2004, 04:44:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logbutcher

Any users of Montana Jack's "Quadskidder" ?  
If I weren't lazy and out of breath, the page would be inserted here. :-[    Check out  <   www.montanajacks.com   >  .
It's basically a bent slab of 1/4" steel w a lip to hold logs and pulled from the hitch w chains. Concept sounds nice for small/homeowner logging on rough terrain.

Kevin

I haven't seen that one before, looks ok .

Ed_K

Its safer than what I put on my big bear.
Ed K

jokers

Hi Logbutcher,

Have you seen an item known as a skidding cone? They are sold by another atv accessory company who`s name escapes me at the moment, but they look like they would have an advantage over the quadskidder because as the name implies, they are conical and could deflect impact from all angles. It seems like it would be hard to keep a log on the quadskidder in an off camber situation.

There are also some really cool atv logging arches available that would greatly increase the capacity of an atv for skidding.

Russ

SwampDonkey

On the topic of skidding cones. We used to have one at the local woodlot owners association which would be lent out with their skidding winch. The skidding wench was used mainly in winter and hauled behind a ski-doo. The winch was on a sled itself and had its own motor to wind the winch up. Alot of people used it and the cone with success. It got alot of abuse, because you know what its like lending things. :)

cheers
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

jokers

Thanks for the link Kevin, I believe that is the one I saw.

It looks like the updated their site since my last visit. I like their "kevlar cable".

Russ

Kevin

I don't think the kevlar rope measures up to a good bull rope.
The kevlar is weaker at a knot or bend.
I can't remember what the minimum bend radius is but it is more than standard synthetic rope.
It is a static rope and shouldn't be shock loaded.

Scott

Logbutcher, take a look at montana jacks multimount system. It lets you mount the ATV's winch in the back of the machine. My neighbor has a setup like that and it works really well. He used to use pull some pretty big stuff through  fairly bad terrian. I would think that a skid cone and a rear winch will pull pretty much any log an ATV is capable of pulling. The winch gives you more reach than something like a skid arch plus a winch is a good idea to have on any ATV.

jokers

QuoteI don't think the kevlar rope measures up to a good bull rope.
The kevlar is weaker at a knot or bend.
I can't remember what the minimum bend radius is but it is more than standard synthetic rope.
It is a static rope and shouldn't be shock loaded.

Of course you are right Kevin, you know your business. I was actually commenting on the creative marketing of kevlar rope as cable.  ;D

Russ

Stan

How do you keep the winch from pullin' the atv when the log's too big. The plate on a 3point hitch digs into the ground to keep from pullin' the tractors, but I didn't see anything like that.  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Kevin

Stan;
What I usually do with the Argo is run the front wheel into a stump or the base of a tree.
I operate the winch and when the log gets hung up I can feel the machine move so I stop winching and check on the log.
 I just cut what I can handle.

Stan

I used to do that too, then came the pine bark beetle and a simultaneous drought. Now all my yellow pines are dead and I'm haulin' out the ones that fell over. It is gettin' kinda Skerry (political pun) goin' into the woods, with all the widow makers up in the sky.  :-[
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

Hunter

That cone looks pretty nice and easy to use.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Thank You Sponsors!