iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mother nature's bounty

Started by pineywoods, August 26, 2012, 12:13:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Sometimes mother nature delivers up some nice things. This big pine was a lightening kill, right behind my barn. Thought I would stick a pic on here as an example of the southern yellow pine that grows in the red clay hills of north Louisiana. That's a 20 inch bar on the stihl. The tree was 62 years old. Got a 32 ft cut plus a 24 ft cut from it. Only a 500 yd skid across an open hayfield to my mill.

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Texas Ranger

We have gotten a lot of stumps that look like that over the past year.  Unfortunately, not many of them went to a mill.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

I wanna jump in before one of the chainsaw lunatics do. Wayne, yer chain is loose.  :D ;)

I wish I had a couple dozen or so of those. My building wants would be lessened greatly.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

'bout 1200 miles, boss, no hill for a stepper. 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

pineywoods

Quote from: Jeff on August 26, 2012, 01:02:32 PM
I wanna jump in before one of the chainsaw lunatics do. Wayne, yer chain is loose.  :D ;)

Duuhhh, you mean it's not supposed to be like that ??? I left the scrench in the shop. That's my story and I'm sticking to it...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

lumberjack48

Thats a perfect Yellow pine, that will give you some select lumber. I cut and all so skidded Yellow pine out in the Rocky Mts. in Montana. We had to cut-em 33' and 25' so that they'd make 2, 16' logs and 2, 12' logs. I loved Montana, beautiful country to log in, i wish i would have stayed out there.

Chains a lot better a little lose then to tight, i believe your story.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

mad murdock

Nice looking tree, will stay tuned for the "after" pics of yer lumber stacks.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

John_Haylow

Nice looking log. Looking forward to seeing at some lumber after you mill it?

John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

barbender

Nice tree, it takes over 100 years to grow a Red Pine that big up here.
Too many irons in the fire

Norm

Wish we had some of those in my area too. Plenty of hardwoods but softwoods are few and far between. I occasionally get a spruce but they're so full of knots framing lumber is out of the question.

g_man

Very nice tree. I guess I am unlucky. The few trees I have had killed by lightning were  blown apart and skorched. Totally unusable.

Sixacresand

I see a big pine in my yard is turning brown.  The bottom 15 feet is diseased and deformed.  I should be able to get several  2 X 4's out of the top.   Since it's in my yard, so I will have the experience of cleaning up limbs.  Good Winter time project.  LOL
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!