iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Code of Standards for Timber Framing

Started by logman, August 25, 2012, 01:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

logman

The Timber Frame Eng. Council is getting ready to enact a code of standards for timber framing.  One of the codes is requiring graded timbers.  I sent an email objecting to it since I use my Wood-Mizer to saw timbers for my frames.  I'm not really sure what the code will mean, I guess it is just a self regulating code for timber framers.  I tried to copy and paste the link to the code but it wouldn't work.  If someone is interested send me a PM and I'll forward the email.
LT40HD, 12' ext, 5105 JD tractor, Genie GTH5519 telehandler
M&K Timber Works

Jim_Rogers

Just because they say it's should be done, doesn't mean it has to be done.

In your area, you have to or should comply with the building code. If there isn't any building codes in your area then you should at least try to have your timbers be grade #2 or better, which I would imagine you already do.

I have read the purposed paper, and I did see that.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

logman

That's what I took it to be, a self regulating code.  In my area we have a stipulation that you can use structural lumber from your property for building but you aren't supposed to buy logs and cut them for use structurally.  Kind of stupid if you ask me.  In the email I sent it stated that if I'm cutting an 8"x10" timber from a 14" or so log it would virtually be impossible barring rot, shake, etc. to not get at least a #2 timber from it.  Why do I need to get a third party to look at it and stamp it.
M&K Timber Works

ballen

This topic gets me particularly frustrated when I'm trying to do the right thing and build from salvaged timber that has spent the last 150 years proving it's strength.  Code says use graded but no one will grade the old stuff and you know it's strong.  This is where we have lost a hold on good old common sense.

Jim_Rogers

The problem with grading old timbers, or salvaged timbers is that you don't know what kind of stress these timbers have been put under.

They could have internal fractures that can't be seen.

And it could fail without warning, when put under a new load in a different direction.

I did have one traveling grader come here and re-grade some salvaged timbers once many years ago.

And he has since told me that they, the grading agency, will never do that again, because of the above reasons. Basically they are covering there own a$$.

Jim Rogers

logman

How do you go about finding a traveling grader?  That was one of the questions I asked the TFEC.  Is the TFG going to maintain a list of graders that will come and certify your timbers.
M&K Timber Works

beenthere

The lumber grading agency's have check graders, and graders that are on the road. They are expensive when having to pay the travel costs.
Will look forward to the answer to your question if the timber framer associations will have a travelling grader.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Brad_bb

It's not totally clear from the documents intro what the intended use of the document is. I suspect it's a guideline for a Timber frame Company, or TFC as the document abbreviates it, to use maybe in a contract with a customer, maybe to define roles and liability? It sets clear roles and standards by which design, and construction will be done to assure the customer, and the industry in general, that the job will be done with sufficient engineering, analysis, quality materials, and quality cutting and assembly? It may be to try and mitigate substandard work from giving the industry a bad name? It seems like they are trying to establish a guidline for the benefit of timber frame companies, as opposed to a rigid legal code.  A guidline to establish a level of consistency or quality perhaps? 
   Jim's point is valid regarding grading of reclaim.  With a competent framer using good judgment and sizing, a failure would likely be rare.  For the rare instince when it does happen, many don't want the liability either financially or safety-wise these days.  Our society has become so sue happy.  I'm going to build my house with reclaim, but if I were a TFC and building many structures every year, I'd want to be very careful of my liability.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: logman on August 27, 2012, 12:00:17 PM
How do you go about finding a traveling grader?  That was one of the questions I asked the TFEC.  Is the TFG going to maintain a list of graders that will come and certify your timbers.

To find a traveling grader, you would call the lumberman's association that covers your area of the country. I would assume the Southern Pine Bureau.
I believe there are traveling graders for the southern area of the country.

In my area it is the New England Lumberman's Association known as NeLMA.

My client called them and he paid them direct for their services when the traveling grader came here to my yard. He gets a day's pay regardless of how long he is here. That is to cover his travel time down here, grade and then travel back. And office work to write up a report about the grading of the timbers.

When he stamped the timbers, he used a hammer style stamp. He pounded it onto the end grain of each timber he inspected.

All end grains of every timber he stamped where cut off by the timber framer when he converted them into pieces for the frame. All the grade stamped blocks went into the burn pile and were burnt.

The paperwork he sent the client was the proof that the timbers were graded and that they passed. This is what their building inspector wanted.

Jim Rogers 

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I think I'd have collected all the "stamped" endcuts and used them to build a end-grain butcher block style table top, with the stamps intact.

Herb

beenthere

There have been situations where a builder/contractor cut the grade stamp off the board ends (structural graded products) during construction, the building inspector wouldn't approve without the grade stamp visible, and the grading agency wouldn't grade anything in-place (where they couldn't see all four faces). This was in a large tract home building project in IL. Not pretty, and very expensive.
I wouldn't be cutting off the required grade stamp, without the inspectors approval and knowledge (or lots of good pics). Pleading for mercy may work, but then again it may not. ;)
And as PC says, having those block ends available for "show and tell" might be frugal.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Hi all, I don't think I would certify old timbers unless they looked real good. there have been times the logs where so bad grade wise that I said no way, lots of times the customer will sell the butt logs to the mill for money, and want me to make lumber out of the 3 or 4 log up the tree. all junk :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Brad_bb

If the reclaim came from a building that was pulled down with brute force, I would be hesitant to use some of those timbers for critical members. tie beams for example, you'd have to be careful, whereas posts are going to be mainly under compression, and therefore less critical.   It's good to know how they were collected.  I have reclaim that came from a post and beam industrial building that you can clearly see was dissassembled and some pieces  sawn on the ends to remove.  No ends are busted etc.  Looking at the lot and how they were treated gives me enough confidence to use them, however I will be selective where I use each stick, and cull what's necessary, just like you would with new timbers.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Thank You Sponsors!