iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl ms290 oil pump works great, but oil doesn't get to the chain

Started by stephen.rizzo, August 24, 2012, 08:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephen.rizzo

I've read a thread similar to this problem, but I think mine is unique.  With no bar and chain on, oil flows freely from the port.  The hole in the bar is unobstructed.  The saw is very clean.  With the bar and chain on, oil does not reach the chain, the chain and bar get so hot you can't touch it.  The chain is not too tight. 

Is there supposed to be a gasket or seal between the saw and the bar that would force the oil to go through the hole in the bar to the chain instead of pooling under the cover?  It doesn't matter if the bar is in regular or upsidedown.  All I get is pooling. 

I am positive that the oil pump is working as I have it turned up all the way and I can see it flowing freely from the port.  Any ideas???  Thanks in advance, Steve

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Clam77

Quote from: pineywoods on August 24, 2012, 08:59:22 PM
Wrong bar, holes don't match ?

Sounds like it to me..  what kind of saw and what brand of bar is on it??
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

tyb525

Is the oil hole clean? mine seems to get blocked up all the time and will prevent oil flow
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

stephen.rizzo

The holes match perfectly.  the hole is clean.  I've even taken a compressor and blown air through it to make sure.  When the bar is off of the saw, and I place the chain in the groove of the bar, I can see very clearly through the hole that the bottom tab of the chain that would pick up the oil if available passes by the hole idicating that the hole is indeed open.  It is a Stihl ms290 saw with the original stihl bar.  I've used the saw without a problem for about 5 years.  This problem started happening a few uses ago and I'm smoking blades left and right. 

Clam77

When the saw is running WITHOUT the bar on - is the oil flowing out as in running out.. or is it squirting out getting oil all over everything??

Starting to sound like your oil pump isn't pumping with full pressure to get it onto the bar.

With the bar off, try placing your finger over the outlet hole while it's running - see if you can hold the oil in.  If you can, your pump may be getting weak or there may be something broken inside it. 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

clww

That sounds like an oil pump to me, too. If the bar/chain are installed, with the saw running if the pump is operating, oil should flow. A way to see is hold the bar tip a few inches away from any flat surface. Run the saw as normal and observe if any oil is leaving the tip and collecting on the surface when the chain is spinning. If not, with all the holes cleaned and unobstructed, I would think it's a bad pump or gear.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Al_Smith

The 029-039 uses a little wire contraption that aligns with a notch in the clutch drum to rotate the pump gear .Now if for whatever reason that thing jumps out of that notch it doesn't pump so good .In addition also the worm gear which is made of plastic sometimes looses part of it's teeth .It might even be the screw portion of the pump that holds the wire could be stripped .

Easy enough to check out ,just pull the clutch drum and there it all is .To get to the actual pump you have to spin off the clutch but you should be able to eye ball it without removal .That's not a big deal either,block the piston and screw it off ,left hand threads .

kenskip1

If the chain is two loose the drivers will literally fly past the oil being pumped.Figure this out.When you accelerate, the clutch pulls the chain tight on the bottom of the bar. Now if the chain is loose the chain coming off the clutch sprocket will literally overpass the oil. The oil has to go someplace so now it drips out of the bottom of the saw.Wrong  gauge chain may also be a contributing factor, Ken
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

js2743

Is the grove in your bar clean?

It may look clean but could be too full for the chain to get the oil, if you dont have a grove cleaning tool use something thin enough to pull through the grove both sides of the bar.

stephen.rizzo

Thanks again for the posts.  THe chain is not too loose.  The groves on the bar are squeaky clean.  I blow it out with a compressor when I clean it.  The oil FLOWS out when the bar and chain are not installed and the engine is running.  It does not SQUIRT.  I will try to occlude the hole and see if I can contain the oil.  THis sounds like the most plausable problem.  THanks again for the suggestions.

joe_indi

Steve, you said oil gets pumped out of the outlet without the bar but itdoes not come onto the chain , and it pools. By pooling if you mean than oil is flowing down the rear of the bar, here are a few possibilities:
# The groove on your bar is worn out to a point that the oil escapes along the side of the drive links.The result is oil is not pushed forward.
# Similarly, the same thing could also happen if your saw chain's drive links are worn too much.
(These two causes will cause excess lateral movement of the chain when it is fitted on the bar.)

# The bar mount area on the power head or mating area of the guide bar are uneven.
(Use some thick but soft paper to make a gasket to get a proper seat)

# If yours is a Stihl guide bar, just inside the groove, next to the hole for the oil to come in, there is a sort of well, which is a separate clip like piece.If by chance, during cleaning you happen to loose this piece the oil wont flow forward.Check if its still in place by moving a small screwdriver or such through the groove. When you reach the oil hole, the screwdriver should take a slight dip when it moves into the well.If it does not do that, you are missing that well. But there is a well on the other side of the guidebar as well. Check if at least you have that one. If not you need to replace the bar.

Joe

beenthere

Joe
You sure do offer good advice on our Stihl saws. And with good clarity on the explanation too.
Nice to have your input and expertise on the Forestry Forum.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

joe_indi

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2012, 10:11:41 AM
Joe
You sure do offer good advice on our Stihl saws. And with good clarity on the explanation too.

Thank you .
I would be only be too glad to know that my suggestions were useful here.

Joe

fuzzybear

Quote from: beenthere on August 30, 2012, 10:11:41 AM
Joe
Make that X2
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

frankab

Steve

Did you ever fix your saw? If so, what was the problem? My 290 is having the same problem as yours. The bar is so hot a drop of water will boil after just a few cuts. I put in a new oiler, cleaned lines, filter, groves, new chain, turned oiler on high, but it still gets hot!! I emailed Stihl and that was a waste of time.

SasquatchMan

The 290 won't spew oil - if the oiler is working, if you fire the saw up and hold it over a piece of cardboard and tweak the throttle a couple times, you'll see a fine line of oil hitting the cardboard near the tip of the bar, but that's all the E-matic system puts out.   

If you got that much oil, the oiler's working and the issue is something else.   

Nose sprocket need cleaning, something bent on the chain or in the bar?   Some extra friction somewhere.... dull chain?   
Senior Member?  That's funny.

thechknhwk

Stephen,

Did you ever figure this out??  I recently developed the same problem with an MS250.  I take the B/C off and I can see oil peridically spurting out of the oiler, but I'm not using hardly any oil.  When I put the B/C back on I'm not getting any oil off the tip of the B/C.  I have cleaned the bar groove, oil port on the bar, and the oiler port on the saw with compressed air.

thechknhwk

Diggin' up bones here, but thought I would give my 2 cents.  I just tore 2 MS250's down to the crank case and swapped motors and all associated parts into new crankcases (clamshells).  I traced the oiling problem back to the clamshell being melted out by the oiler gear.  There must be some channel in there that was damaged causing the oil to fall out the bottom of the saw and not reach the chain.  While looking for crank cases I talked to a local stihl mechanic that stated this was caused by turning up the idle and then leaving the chain brake on.  After running my other 250 that had a tree dropped on it, but was like new and this one after rebuilding both the original one pictured below has quite a high idle.  Anyways here is a pic.

60DRB

I felt like a retard, but my last oiling issue on my 039 was resolved by simply clearing the oil vent with some compressed air.

Smarter guys (here) than me aimed me there.

sek53

Ran across this old forum while looking for an answer to this same problem with my Stihl MS290.  I was able to identify the problem with my unit and thought I'd post a reply for others who might have a similar situation.  The oiler was working, but the chain was running hot and dry.  Went through all the normal items mentioned in this post, but no success.  With plenty of oil-soaked sawdust in the sprocket area, it was clear it was being pumped buy not finding its way into the bar chain guide.  What I found was that one of the bar studs had backed out about 1/16", keeping the bar from seating firmly and squarely against the oil guide.  Tightening down the stud to a fully-seated position allowed the oiler to make good contact with the bar and place the oil where it was needed.  This fix, along with the oil adjustment in the max position, produces an acceptable oiling of the blade.

limbwood

Im perty sure there is a small o-ring on end of pump where it goes into case. check that. good luck

leeper69

Hi I have a ms250 that was doing the same thing. after running it with the bar off  I noticed oil coming out from behind the clutch.
the fix for me was a 99 cent o ring that seals the oil pump body. I have been running the saw for two years now and have cut about twelve cords of wood with it.
time will tell if this is a good saw for me. love the power to weight ratio and cheep parts. I have been using a McCullough pro mac 10-10 for over twenty years and have only had to replace the fuel line chain and bars, with no repairs and it is still running strong.

leeper69

Sorry the ms290 has an adjustable oilier and is more like a pro saw. so if the oilier is putting out oil  clean up the clutch housing and bar housing and run the saw for  a few minutes then shut it off and try to find the origin of your oil leak. sorry I cant help more.

Thank You Sponsors!