iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

LT40 operators seat?

Started by Delawhere Jack, August 24, 2012, 05:29:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I kinda thought it was silly, but now that I've run my mill I can appreciate the idea. I know MM's mill has one. I'm just wondering what you guys think of them. Does it get in the way when you're not using it? Does it detach quickly?

LeeB

Took mine off and never looked back. It's sitting in the weeds. Was too much in the way for me working by myself. With someone to help it was ok though.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

levans

Same here, it was great if you have help but more work if your alone.

red oaks lumber

the seat is the best option if your mill has the drag back feature. wouldnt trade it for anything except maybe a new one :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

LarryRB

I would not be without one. The only reason would be if you had remote controls.

Buck

What is the option worth? I've got one I've never used. It came with the last one I purchased but was a used package deal.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bandmill Bandit

I need ANOTHER one to build my router option onto for the lathe I am ordering. IF this works every body gona want one. 8)

Planning stages to make it a CNC type wood lathe.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Magicman

Mine only comes off when I saw 20' logs and immediately goes back on, no matter if I am sawing alone or with help.  It gives me a better view of the entire sawing operation.  With 30"+ logs, I sit up on the seat back with my feet in the seat.  Again, that keeps me above the big logs where I can see everything.

If the wind is wrong, I can always slide off of the seat and walk, but I generally just sit up on the seat back which takes me above the flying sawdust.

I have removed and installed the seat many times without help, but prefer to have help.  It is not so much the weight, although it is heavy, but the seat is very cumbersome and just a pain to do alone.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Kansas

Mixed feelings on this one. Our original LT 40 HD had a seat. That was back when we cut more grade. It did help the operator see the log and decide whether to turn or not. All three mills now have stand alone pedestals. I can't see that we can't do as good of a job when we do cut grade with those. If a person always has help, and is cutting grade, I would say yes. For lower quality product and if there is no help, no.

paul case

I sit and saw. I work alone almost all the time. It takes a little getting used to but i like it.I can usually saw a whole log without ever getting up. I have a slab rack at the end of the mill so I can raise the head above the slab and return so I can grab the end of the slab and give it a shove off into the rack. Flitches come off onto the loading arms to be edged before the next log and just a shove gets them over there out of the way. Saw up the rest of the log and get up to unload it. It comes off real easy, just flip a latch and pick it up.
However I was skeptical at first and mine sit over in the corner for a few months and one day my legs were getting tired of walking around the tire so I decided to put it on. It had been so long since it had been used that half the bearings were seized. Got that fixed and I have been sittin and sawin ever since. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Delawhere Jack

Split decision, eh........ kind of like the new guys asking what brand of mill they should buy..... ;D

I've got a lead on a used one at a fair price, and I can see where it would be nice to have. Keeps your eye down at band level...........Hmmmm.......... I think I'll get it........ I REALLY need a debarker more than a seat, but I'll get that in due course.

Thank y'all.

Chuck White

I haven't been using my operators seat at all, but just the other day I decided to use it on the sawjob that starts this coming Tuesday.

I do have a good helper too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

And allso you can have a umbrella with the seat . when your out in a field on a sunny day it helps :D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

paul case

I guess that all seats are not created equal either. The pre 97? model seat isnt the same as 97 and newer are they? PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

I had to replace my seat a couple of years ago.  It was badly worn and had been re-covered, so the time finally came for a new seat:  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bandmill Bandit

I have a question on the mounting bar bolts. I have heard that there are seats that have 2 good sized hand knobs on the bolts for tightening/adjusting the bottom roller bar. If this is true where can I get a pair short of making them my self?
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Chuck White

Mine has the knobs and they are about 2½" in diameter.

Very handy.

I would think that WM has them in stock.

Of course if you had to make them, just a "T" handle (a bolt) layed across the bolt and welded would be good.

The part number for them, for my seat is: Knob, Operator Seat Roller Adjustment # W11329
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: Chuck White on August 26, 2012, 11:29:40 AM

The part number for them, for my seat is: Knob, Operator Seat Roller Adjustment # W11329

Thank you Chuck very much appreciate the info.   

Thank You Sponsors!