iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two Tireds Willow

Started by Buck, August 24, 2012, 04:04:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buck

Alright guys, I was just on the phone with Two Tired. He and I fuss and discuss lots of things related to wood but this time he stumped me. He went to asking questions about Willow. He has a tree of decent size and isnt sure how its gonna handle  from felling on through to milling. Can anyone chime in and offer a few pointers. What to look for? What to be careful of? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

tyb525

It's soft, usually not much of a log to it, just a big fat short trunk usually with at least one crotch in it.

Only real use is for carving, and similar uses to poplar, but the tree doesn't have good form like poplar does.

Black willow or weeping willow?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Autocar

I would think that if it has any size to it it may have wind shake the ones Ive seen around here are that way.
Bill

pineywoods

Willow can have some beautiful grain and color. Depends on the soil and water conditions where it grew. Saws nicely, cut it extra thick, it will twist and bow while drying. We have a family member who has a large den with a willow ceiling. V grove random width. One of the most beautiful pieces of woodwork I have ever seen. First time I saw it, I thought it was teak.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Buck

Awe Piney, You've nearly got me talked into going and tailing Bills mill. ;D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

two tired

I have no idea what kind it is, it is 24" dbh, 60' or so tall and no limbs till 40'. I have never felled one before and was wondering how it would act, split, break, or do any crazy things at all.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Holmes

Sorry to say but felling might be the easiest part, just wait for hurricane Isaac to pass thru.
Think like a farmer.

WDH

If it is that big, it has to be black willow.  Wasn't it used to make caskets?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

I sawed Black Willow last week which will be used for wall paneling.  As Piney stated, it makes very beautiful and unusual lumber.  I sawed several thousand bf for a customer this past Spring, and got a call Wednesday to come back to saw some more.  It too will all be used as wall paneling.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Okrafarmer

Weeping willows can also get quite large.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LeeB

Very light in weight. Was used at on time to make prostetics. Looks somewhat like walnut. Easy to saw. Works nice for turning. Spalts nicely if you don't let it go too far. Sometimes called the wood that never dies, cause it never quits moving.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

pineywoods

There will be pics, yes ?/
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Buck

IF... I get in on it yes. Bill and I were discussing pics yesterday. I'm feeling a "Great Willow Project" coming on. Will have to got though those tutorials that Jeff has referred to so many times. I haven't loaded any pics since the FF remodel.

WDH

Quote from: Buck on August 25, 2012, 01:34:22 PM
"Great Willow Project"

Does it come with a cookout  ??? :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

IF... I get in on it yes. Bill and I were discussing pics yesterday. I'm feeling a "Great Willow Project" coming on. Will have to got though those tutorials that Jeff has referred to so many times. I haven't loaded any pics since the FF remodel.

It's a little easier now.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 25, 2012, 08:41:50 PM
"Great Willow Project"

Does it come with a cookout  ??? :D.

Oh, another one that's too far away! Well, I'm expecting to get to the Sycamore one, but don't think I can go for that one (unless buying a sawmill at the same time).

woodmills1

weeping willow up here is a very whitish to slight slight yellow

band tends to try to follow the grain

warps easily

one piece will plane nice and look good

next piece will fuzz right up
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!