iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The log stops have to be up when you turn the log.

Started by cutterboy, August 22, 2012, 08:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

Quote from: Tom L on August 23, 2012, 08:56:08 AM
I did the same thing last weekend, sent a 28" diameter x 8 ft red oak right off the mill and off to the side,
had to hook up a strap and drag the log back to the log loaders and lost an hour fooling with it.

always wondered why so many guys leave the log loading arms half way up when turning and sawing now I know.

When I'm sawing a log that's still round, I like to have the loading arms as high as I can and still clear it with the saw head.  Wouldn't want the loading arms very low, just in case.  If a heavy log rolled off the loader side, and dropped very far, it could really do some damage to the hyd. system.

Once it has 2 flat sides I let the loading arms down ½ way down and that's where I put the flitches that need edging.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bandmiller2

If you don't have hoisting equipment,and no ones looking, just buck it up for firewood. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Chuck White

Only bad thing about it is that usually someone IS lookin'!  :D

but it does make ya look around!  :)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

steamsawyer

My last episode of..... Doh...

I trimmed this cant to 12" to cut some 2x12s. The usual procedure is to recede the headblocks back without unlocking the dogs and that will roll the cant over backwards to lay it flat.

Well, that does not always work.... If you notice the bottom of that cant still has a little bit of roun left on the end. When it pulled back that radius let the cant slide off the front of the carriage. It was almost like in slow motion, it just tumbled backwards and slid off. Fortunately I was the only one on that end of the mill and I was well out of the way.

Here we are trying to get a chain around it to lift it back onto the carriage.

Be very carfull.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

Migal

I was at awl the day I had a Cant / Log two sides squared two sides round. with my mill, I mill 1/4 turn then cut well while turning for the third cut I misplaced the Log turner ram and the dang thing rolled Left, I didn't really panic but did say that's going to cost Me (In my mind)  ::) ended up very lucky the track for the hydraulic hoses is a bit stouter then one would think but not sure if I would want to test that theory to often. I used a cant hook and got her where she needed to be. Was a lesson to be learned though.
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Brucer

Amazingly enough, after 7 years and 400,000+ BF of wood, I've never managed to do that (yet). Maybe it's because I pay extra attention to what other FF members have warned us about :).

In any case, if it does happen I already know how to deal with it. Parbuckle it back onto the bed by raising the loader arms after securely fastening the base of the loader arms to the mill (so they won't lift). You may have to do it in stages buy I'm assured it works.

That tip is courtesy of another FF member (who I won't name here).

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Okrafarmer

Steamsawyer, that picture of you lying down there trying to recover the log, it looks like some kind of serious accident scene where somebody got hurt. At least that's what I thought when I first saw it.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

steamsawyer

When that happened everyone was at the other side of the mill. I was well out of the way but they couldn't see if I was hurt or not. They thought it fell on my foot. Jeff is a very attentive engineer and he had the engine shut down by the time everyone got around to my side. I was just standing there dumfounded that I let it happen.  :o ::) ... Square logs can roll too.  :-\

The second picture shows Marshall on top of the cant, and you can't see it , but Stan is under the log deck digging out for the chain. Tommy is in the tractor setting up for the lift.

I am in the process of building some hinged extentions that will flip down from each rail to enable the log to be rolled from the deck to the carriage. That way they can be left down to keep this from happening again.

Even though I own the sawmill, when I went on dissability from a bunch of arthritis in my back and some strokes the guys won't let me do much other than pull the stick for a little while. This sawmill is only a play thing for us. No one in the group has a set of golf clubs or a sport fishing boat, we'r just a bunch of old friends with a common love for old machinery.

Alan

J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

cutterboy

Alan, thanks for the pictures. I'm sure glad no one got hurt. Those logs can surprise us sometimes. I'm glad to know there are other males in this country who don't own golf clubs. :D I know guys who spent more on their golf stuff than I have spent on my mill. ::)
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: cutterboy on August 24, 2012, 07:20:51 PM
Alan, thanks for the pictures. I'm sure glad no one got hurt. Those logs can surprise us sometimes. I'm glad to know there are other males in this country who don't own golf clubs. :D I know guys who spent more on their golf stuff than I have spent on my mill. ::)

No golf clubs here!
No car
No boat
No deer rifle
No RV
No ATV
No basketball goal
No regrets!
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Meadows Miller

You got that rite Jim  ;) smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup even though some people might think I am boring just having an interest in Old Gear ,Trucks and Equipment I could say the same thing about stuff they get excited about  ;) :D :D ;D

Alan it happens Mate  ;) and when I first saw and read this thread I was going to be a smart butt and say this sorta thing wont happen on a Circular Mill  ;)  :D :D  I had a young bloke I was training once that got ahead of himself and  tried loading a  log onto a carriage that was not there yet  oops wrong control :o :D :D :D forklifts are handy things  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

thecfarm

Okrafarmer,all I have are working toys. I have had people say to me,I want a tractor or a sawmill but can't afford to buy one. I would ask well,how many 4 wheelers,snow machines,boats you have?  :(  I don't have any of those. I use to kinda chuckle about those golf guys at work. Until one day I realize if it wasn't for those little white balls,they would hardly get out of the house to enjoy the outdoors.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

New bass boat=new bandmill,to each their own. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

drobertson

Jim, ever since you posted those pics of the curved cants I wondered how many you  might have had rolled off.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Jim_Rogers

Well, that's the first one in a long time that I did actually roll off....

I'm usually more careful and don't let it happen. But when you roll over any log it can happen.
When you get to the top of your log uprights the log can roll the correct way and everything is fine. Or it can roll the wrong way and create a problem. It's a fine line sometimes about how far you can push it to make it roll over..... and which way it will roll when it does....

Jim Rogers

Cutting Edge

Quote from: steamsawyer on August 24, 2012, 02:00:40 PM

......we'r just a bunch of old friends with a common love for old machinery.

Alan

Here, Here!!!    smiley_beertoast   ;D  There ain't nuthin' like Ole' Iron!!   smiley_thumbsup
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

WDH

Jim,

That log looks like it had all the issues that you can have with a log except maybe metal.  Did it have nails, too  ??? :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Jim's log looked like a perfectly good log to me, just that the cut was going up and down all over the place. Wonder how that happened.

WDH

Sweep.  Tension wood.  Wavy cuts.  Log jumping off the mill.  All we need now is an electrical insulator  :D.

Chuck White

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: WDH on August 25, 2012, 08:40:22 PM
Jim,

That log looks like it had all the issues that you can have with a log except maybe metal.  Did it have nails, too  ??? :).

Nope no nails in that one....

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 25, 2012, 08:56:59 PM
Jim's log looked like a perfectly good log to me, just that the cut was going up and down all over the place. Wonder how that happened.

When you cut a curved log like that you have to stop part way down the log and shift it over to get all the way through. When you do that then sometimes the blade gets out of the original line of the cut. If you have a good big log you can come back to that side and do a trim cut to straighten it out after you cut the second side. But I didn't plan on doing that and I didn't do that. I left it rough for the timber framer to straighten out.

Jim Rogers

Thank You Sponsors!