iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hose clamp instead of crimp ring on pex

Started by Local4Fitter, August 22, 2012, 06:15:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Local4Fitter

Getting ready to do my install of owb. I was thinking of using stainless hose clamps instead of crimp rings on the pex connections. I don't want to buy the crimp tool to make 8 crimps if hose clamps will work. I know it won't look as neat, but I can get over that quick. I will also be able to remove a hose clamp without destroying it. Can't do that with a crimp ring. I would tighten them with my 1/4" cordless impact gun being careful not to over tighten. Any thoughts? Thanks Doug
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

Ivan49

I was told you could use them but I was afraid they would loosen up and I would have a mess soI used the crimp rings. You may want to use the sharkbite fitting they work real good but costs more. Nice part is you can remove them if needed and then reuse them,

Dan_Shade

You may have difficulty in getting it leak free with a hose clamp. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Holmes

What type pipe did you get? Viega?   If I have the right tool you can use it.  The ss clamps are cheaply made  you will most likely strip them with an impact gun. They are so bad you can strip them by hand with a nut driver.
Think like a farmer.

tyb525

about 70 bucks will get you the crimper that does 1/2" and 3/4".
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ivan49

I bought a square one at Home Depot that I can do 3/8 1/2 3/4 and 1 inch and it cost somewhere around 15.00

tyb525

That one is ok if you just have a small amount of crimps to do, but it can be tricky holding the vice grips, crimp tool, pipe, and crimp ring with 2 hands ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Local4Fitter

I agree with you Holmes that the hose clamps are cheap. I didn't buy any crimp rings yet. I thought I would put the hose clamp idea out there and see what people thought. I got the answers I thought I would get. I need to crimp 1" and 1/2" pex if you can help me out Holmes I would appreciate it.
1974 John Deere 510, Wood fired pizza oven,2005 Dodge/Cummins,Firearms for all occasions.

upsnake

I used clamps for my install. They came as part of the hardware package from the dealer. They look sturdy, and I have had no problems with them. (They are not "cheap" automotive style clamps), they seems to have some decent heft to them.

shortlogger

My local hardware store has a couple pair of crimpers that they loan to customers , but that may not be true where you live . Would'nt hurt to check !
1 Corinthians 3:7 So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase . "NKJV"

thecfarm

I wonder if the pipe could be warmed up and than use the clamps that upsnake used.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MJD

I used hose clamps,2 on each connection. No leaks in 8 years.

upsnake

Not the greatest photo, but all I had right now.
I did just one clamp per fitting. I did heat the pex up a little bit to help with bends, and to help it go on the fitting easier.

The clamp is mostly solid metal around the band, and is a lot thicker than a regular hose clamp.

petefrom bearswamp

I agree with cfarm, heat the pipe a little and maybe double clamp, a lot cheaper
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Local4Fitter

martyinmi

About 50% of my connections are done with double hose clamps, and of them, about 50% ended up leaking. I've not had any of the crimped connections leak yet.

I own a crimper, but it seems that the majority of the time I need it it is either at work or I've loaned it out to someone and I can't remember who whiteflag_smiley

My dad always said while I was growing up "do it once and do it right". Based on my experiences, I think you'll be happier in the long run if you crimp them. smiley_thumbsup

No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

mrwood

I did my self install on my central boiler last year and like you I did not want to waste the money on the crimp tool. Cb sells a form of hose clamp that is a bit more heavy duty. I went with those and have had no issues. All I did was tighten them down and then the first time I used my boiler I waited for the pex to get nice and hot and went back thought as retightened all the clamps. So far I have has no leaks an it does make them very nice to remove if you decide to reroute your piping

tyb525

The crimp tool is not a "waste" by any means. Doing it the cheap way could end up being a waste of time. I'd get a crimper, they are very handy to have if you ever need to do some plumbing, pex is a dream to work with especially if you have a crimper.

Andy M

When I did my install, I bought a bag of 10 clamps from the Central Boiler dealer. They are little high priced, but I never had any connections leak last year after it was installed. Now I have rerouted some lines to heat my shop, and it was nice having these clamps on hand. A bag of 10 is cheaper than the crimp tool and fittings. They are heavy duty, not like a regular hose clamp.

boilerman101

I would not trust a regular hose clamp eithier. Chances are they will leak. I also used Central Boiler hose clamps. They have 2 heavy barrels with a stainless bolt running through them. Use a socket and ratchet drive to tighten the bolt through the barrels until they touch. No leaks after years of use. Cost me less than $2 bucks each back when I bought them.

upsnake

Yup the CB ones as well. That was what i was attempting to show in the pic. Haha  8)

Logging logginglogging

I think a heavy duty hose clamp would work ok, except the pex is hard to crush to make a good connection.

The type of pex rings with the little square tab that u crush with the tool can also be crush on very tightly with vicegrips or a fencing tool.

remember the lines are pressurized so its just a matter of getting them good enough they dont leake with water pumping throug them

Local4Fitter

Well, today I stopped at Home depot and bought the clamp tool that Sharkbite makes. I bought the clamp tool because it will do all sizes of clamps. The crimp tool did 1/2" and 3/4" and then would need another one to do 1". I guess whether you use copper crimp rings or stainless clamps either way is an acceptable way to leakproof pex.

sparky1

I used the hose clamps that CB sells as well.. then i ran out and went and bought a crimper and crimps.. there both super easy and none leaked. Im a tool guy so I wanted to buy a crimper that im sure ill never use again :)  If i do need it I got it though!!  I would deffinetly not trust a regular hose clamp, but the ones that CB sells are good. You can really crank em down. I dont know what they cost me. I just got a total bill.. so it was part of the 9 plus grand!!!  8)
Shaun J

mrcaptainbob

I self installed the CB unit at our house about nine years ago. The company sold me the gray plastic compression fittings. That did NOT go well. One gave way at the stove and two gave way..at different times...in the basement! Went to the compression ring/compression tool route. Replaced everyth9ing I could reach in one weekend. Subsequently I had a revision in the water system when adding hydronic floor heat to two bathrooms. ALL those connections (yes, capitalized...) were done with Sharkbites. I am now a BIG fan of Sharkbites. Fast, easy, and the best was that they provided connection in some very difficult to reach places.

Thank You Sponsors!