iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local Pine Tree Farm's generosity !!!!!

Started by eddiebo, August 22, 2012, 06:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddiebo

In my many local travels, I passed a local tree farm with 50 or so standing dead pines from the drought here, and talked to the elderly gent at the gate about harvesting them. He was generous enough to not only give me the trees, but will help load the logs with his front end loader. I told him I could fell, and buck maybe 3 per day, and he added that that is about all he could stand me to cut per day in this Texas heat.  8). Thank u GOD !!! I plan to start on monday. The trees havent been gone long, so there is bound to be lots of good lumber in them. Is this wood going to last after sawing 2x4, and 2x6's in a drying shed until I start building next year?????? That is my question, after sharing the excitement.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Ianab

Sounds like a good deal.

The pine will last indefinitely once you get it sawn, dry and out of the weather. In log form it will stain, get eaten by bugs or rot, but once sawn and dry it's safe to store in the shed as long as you need. Just get it onto those stickers so the air can get at it and dry it out.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

eddiebo

I have a shed design in mind that will let air flow through the shed without rain getting in. Can I go straight to the shed once I saw it, or do I need to air dry outside? My shed design will be made from cedar slabs standing vertical spaced 5 inches apart then screw 1x4's across the slabs spaced 3 ft apart, and screw slabs to that over 5 inch spaces. similar to board and batten but with 1 inch space between 1st layer and second to allow air to enter the sides. Will this work, or are there plans here that are better?
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

Ianab

If your shed is open to the breeze, then it will be fine for drying. Main thing is that breeze being able to blow through the stack and carry the water away. Closed shed + wet wood = mushroom farm.

I'd be thinking more along the lines of a carport than a shed. Heck some guys just sit a roof on top of the stack.

Once you get it dry, below 20%, then it doesn't matter so much, and once it's fully dry it can be flat stacked without stickers to save space.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

eddiebo

Thanks . Central Texas winters are very wet. Open side cover all winter long ?

WDH

If the shed is enclosed or restricts air flow, you lumber will mildew, mold and turn black.  The shed should be open on all sides for best results.  Otherwise, you are better off building a temporary roof over the stack.  Do not cover the sides of the stack.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

I have cut dead pine, three year old pine, just old dead pine, cut it strip it cover it with metal, boards or anything. keep the sun off it, it will grey over warp a bit but better than beatle food. Big bundles, keep the weight on it with plenty of air. Should be no worries, there will always be some waste.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

Certain width of your piles work better too. I TRY to keep mine around 6 feet wide. I have some ash to dry,I hope, and I will keep them about 4 feet wide.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

My experience is the same as Ray's.  Wide stacks = mold, mildew, stain, and black lumber without perfect air flow, especially in this Georgia heat and humidity.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

4 ft for me and circulation ,like danny said mold is coming  if you have high humidity.i bleach one side if it's nice wood.lately i have putting a big fan on mine for a few days to get it past that stage.  al
al glenn

thecfarm

By the way,don't even think of putting a tarp on it. Mine will be covered with some old tin roofing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

kderby

Welcome Eddiebo,

Cool adventure in Hot Texas!  Sounds like the old timer can be a good resource as well.

On the pine, I find if the needles are still on the tree, recovery is quite good.  Otherwise slab hard and you will be fine.  You are building a shed and not a piano?  If these are for a residence, I would be cautious.  The 2x6 and 2x4 are certainly good dimensions and you will have plenty of utility lumber.

You will get a lot of waste.  That is OK.  Let it go.

Modern "kiln dry" lumber is dried to 18 percent because that is below the moisture needed by mold/mildew.  Most air dry lumber is at twelve percent.  Furniture lumber can be down to eight percent moisture content by weight.  From dead logs to stickered lumber you will be stacking this material in the storage shed before you know it.

kderby 8)

WDH

Magicman

You will be fine with the quality of the lumber from those trees.  Probably 75%+ of my sawing business is drought, lightning, and beetle killed SYP.  The landowner is simply salvaging something that the local commercial sawmills will not buy.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eddiebo

I feel so much better, and want to thank each and every one for input. Covered shed with open sides it is, but have to ask again about wet winter. I am going to start on that open shed next week. Thanks again, and tell me more PLEEEEZE!!!!!

Ianab

Once it's dry, which might only take 3 months in the warm weather, then you can enclose the shed and keep the rain off.

But while it's still green, the airflow is more important. A bit of rain will quickly dry off and cause less problems than trying to dry without enough air flow.

Ian

Magicman

If it will be stored very long, I would spray if for PPB's.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hamptonlawyer

What chemical would you recommend to spray for PPB, MM?

WDH

The wet winter won't pose a big issue.  Even though the humidity might be high, the heat will not be, and that is what sets off the mold, mildew, fungus, bugs, etc.  The open shed will be perfect.

eddiebo

The wet winter weather was my biggest concern. The lumber on the outside of the stacks getting wet over again was a concern if the rain last for any extended periods. This is Texas, and that means it is extremely dry or extremely wet. It is always a coin toss here.. Im going to get this open shed done before milling all those standing dead pines. Good thing is that I have the metal and post for constructing this shed from the barn tear down I just completed. So blessed.

WDH

The wetting from the wind blown spray of rain under the shed will only impact a tiny fraction of the surface of the lumber, and it will dry away very quickly. 

We will require a picture  ;D.

metalspinner

Extended overhangs will help keep the rain and sunshine away for the stacks.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Beavertooth

Put a layer of plastic under you lumber before you start stacking and it will dry a whole lot faster and stay dry a lot better. If you don't you will always have the moisture coming out of the ground affecting it. If you don't spray it for ppb's it's a good chance they will get in it at anytime even after building anything with it.

2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

WDH

Down here, powderpost beetles only infest hardwood.  They don't bother the southern yellow pine lumber. 

paul case

This is how one local to me pallet company does it.

They move those little roofs' around with the forklift. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Quote from: hamptonlawyer on August 23, 2012, 08:38:38 PM
What chemical would you recommend to spray for PPB, MM? 

Make a Google search and do some price/shipping comparisons.  This is just the first two that I found:

Here is one source for Timbor, etc:  LINK

Solubor which is actually a fertilizer is the same stuff and generally cheaper:  LINK

Beavertooth

If you have a friend that is a pest man or know a farmer or anyone else who may have a license to buy chemicals they can get the Timbor or Boracare for you way cheaper than you will find it anywhere else.
They may not in Ga. but PPB's love Mississippi pine lumber.  I have worked on plenty of older homes that have had their pine floor joist and even lumber on the walls on the inside totally eat up by PPB's.
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

hamptonlawyer

They are here in SC as well, as I have represented several buyers and sellers who have issues with homes infested with powder post beetles.  Solubor is the chemical the loggers are required to spray on freshly cut stumps to prevent the spread of root rot in newly thinned pine stands, so it may pay to check with the local logging crews here in the south as well. 

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: WDH on August 23, 2012, 10:26:20 PM
Down here, powderpost beetles only infest hardwood.  They don't bother the southern yellow pine lumber.
I've had the same experience as Danny.  Maybe powderpost beetles have regional preferences like people - we southerners like grits and boiled peanuts, and yoopers like pastys.  ;D  Dodgy Loner tells me that there are different species of PPB and that different ones prefer certain species of wood.  The ones in my neck of the woods seem to have a preference for red maple and red oak (especially the sap wood).  They don't seem to get in the heart of the red oaks too bad.  I have had success keeping them out by spraying the lumber (all 4 edges) with a solution of borax.  You can buy "20 Mule Team" borax in the laundry section of the supermarket.  It seems to dissolve best in warm water.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

WDH

You can buy Solubor for $1.00 per pound at the Fertilizer store.  Just don't tell the Feds that you are spraying lumber since Solubor is not labeled as a pesticide, wait....on second thought, tell them that you are fertilizing the lumber and you will be OK  :D.

Red Clay Hound

Quote from: WDH on August 24, 2012, 09:30:42 PM
You can buy Solubor for $1.00 per pound at the Fertilizer store.  Just don't tell the Feds that you are spraying lumber since Solubor is not labeled as a pesticide, wait....on second thought, tell them that you are fertilizing the lumber and you will be OK  :D.
That's probably cheaper than the borax from the supermarket.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

WDH

Yeah, but that is in a 50 pound bag.  That will make 50 gallons of spray solution at 1 pound of Solubor per gallon of water.  You are right, it dissolves a whole lot better in warm water.

eddiebo

Started logging the dead stand of Pines today, and to my surprise they are solid all the way up. So grateful to the land owner , and his help with front end loader. Very grateful. I debarked what was left on them and shook termites off going down the road. I hope !!!! :-\

Magicman

Debarking will really help with the termites.  Be sure to stage them off of the ground.

eddiebo

I have them up on cross ties, and will stagger the rows

Thank You Sponsors!