iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Back to School.....gonna miss him.

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 22, 2012, 07:23:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

It's that time of year agin. My 10 year old son, Paul is getting ready right now to go back to school. Man....he was such a big help this summer to me and my 86 year old Dad. We were like the 3 Musketeers on the farm.

He'll be in the 5th grade......WOW!

Gonna miss him all day.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Carlton

I know the feeling, my wife teaches and my son is a junior in college and they both started back this week. No hot lunch and no help around the farm from the son. Dang think I need another crew!!

Buck

Yeah David, Jesse is 11 and started 6th grade last week. I know exactly where you are right now. :-\
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Norm

Now there's some good Dads!

I can't tell you how many folks I've meet that can't wait for school to start to get their kids out of their hair.

I was the same way, I looked forward to the end of the school year and hated when it started back up again.

Magicman

Our youngest Grandson is 10 and in the 5th.  He lives less than a mile from us, so I hated to see him start back......but he was happy.  For now, friends and football.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

In my area that means cold weather is coming. I would always start around Sept 4,my birthday sometimes. But now so many teachers work shops,they have to start in Aug. My Grandkids are starting around the 26.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Red Clay Hound

Enjoy them while you can guys.  Mine are all grown and moved away.  I'm glad they all have good jobs, but wish they were closer.
2007 Wood-Mizer LT40 Super Hydraulic with 51 hp. Cat; 2007 Wood-Mizer EG200 Twin Blade Edger; Woodmaster 718 Molder/Planer; Stihl MS460 and MS362 Chainsaws; 2011 John Deere 5065 with JD 553 Loader

terry f

Chuck White

Here, we will start school on the 6th of September!

I'm kind of anxious to get the school-year started, I think mostly because I will retire from driving school bus effective 1 Jan 13.  :)

Our last one graduated HS last year!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Wildflower

How many years on the school bus Chuck?
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

metalspinner

I don't know how you bus drivers can handle it.  I'm at the end of my rope with just two kids in the back of my car. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Chris Burchfield

G-daughter Madison started SRK at First Assembly Christian School not far from the house.  I drive her there and pick her up.  Gona be far and few between going to the movies now.  I took her to her first at the theater.  We'd stop by the drugstore where the candy was cheaper and/or go to Big M's and I'd load my pockets with a four piece chicken M_nugget, fries, apples and milk for the matinee.  I'd tell her not to say anything about it cause they'd throw us out and we'd sneak it in.  She thought we were really getting away with something.  :D :D :D 
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Buck

We too hit the candy bargains then get our "sneak" on.  I'm glad to know there are some more criminal minds out there :D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Chuck White

Quote from: Wildflower on August 22, 2012, 05:56:18 PM
How many years on the school bus Chuck?

I'll have just over 20 years service credit!

Most of the time it has been a very rewarding time, with lots of good memories and a few bad ones.

Quote from: metalspinner on August 22, 2012, 06:30:58 PM
I don't know how you bus drivers can handle it.  I'm at the end of my rope with just two kids in the back of my car. ::)

It's just one of those things that we get used to. 

We have good kids and we have the trouble makers, and we have to document problems with the trouble makers, then eventually the management will take care of the problems.

Right now, I have all good kids on my bus.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

LAZERDAN

I'd load my pockets with a four piece chicken M_nugget, fries, apples and milk for the matinee.  I'd tell her not to say anything about it               

That's right, start em young and lead by example       Hmmm        Lazerdan   ( ha ha )

clww

Quote from: LAZERDAN on August 22, 2012, 08:54:08 PM
I'd load my pockets with a four piece chicken M_nugget, fries, apples and milk for the matinee.  I'd tell her not to say anything about it               

That's right, start em young and lead by example       Hmmm        Lazerdan   ( ha ha )
I'm all for it, because I think it teaches to save money. The ones that should be locked up are the crooks behind the concession stand selling at those way-too-high prices. :D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

bugdust

My father-in-law drove a school bus years ago and still speaks of his supervisor's most famous words, "Be careful, you're carrying the world's most precious cargo".
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

sandhills

Chuck I have a neighbor that drives a bus, I'm guessing she's in her mid-70's, and was the schools first bus driver and has never missed a year to my knowledge, I believe they got the first bus in the late 60's.  I did hear a rumor that this will be her last, kind of sad to think about, when I was in high school she was always the driver you hoped to get, for sports and such, only time I ever rode it.

Norm

We were the last drop off on our bus route when we lived on the farm. I remember my older brother who was probably a junior or senior at the time having a smoke with the bus driver after he'd dropped off the last kids before us. He was the nicest guy you would have ever hope to have. Really missed him when he retired.

drobertson

David, no doubt these lil buddies are the tops, I miss my boys too! First week alone, well I do have the Dixie! so not that alone, but what a joy and help around the mill the boys(men) are.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

sandhills

Norm pertaining to your first post about parents that can't wait for school to start, this year I have to admit I was one of those, for opposite reasons though.  My ex moved about 40 miles away with my daughters 3 years ago, and after a lot of talking with the girls and her it was decided they needed to be back at home in our school  ;D.  So far it's been great for them and my wife and I, also a HUGE relief.  It's been a stressful summer to say the least, but it was definitely worth it!

Norm

Chuck White

Quote from: Norm on August 23, 2012, 07:56:28 AM
We were the last drop off on our bus route when we lived on the farm. I remember my older brother who was probably a junior or senior at the time having a smoke with the bus driver after he'd dropped off the last kids before us. He was the nicest guy you would have ever hope to have. Really missed him when he retired.

Wow!  I recall hearing stories like that around here too.

I can remember when I was in school, the busses had an ashtray, just like in most cars and trucks.

Wouldn't recommend it in these days though, my bus has 3 cameras that operate as soon as the key is turned on and they run for 10 minutes after the key is turned off.

I really like the camera system though, because it has really saved my butt a few times like when a student would go and tell "the management" that I had said or done something that was wrong.  They also help when we write up a student for being inappropriate!

The cameras protect and/or prosecute everyone riding the bus!

Buck

Its a crying shame that its come to that. I wouldnt even get behind the wheel of a school bus now days without it though.

Burlkraft

I always looked forward to the start of school. It meant the end of a full day of forced free farm labor, and a return to just and early morning and an evening of work.
Everytime I said somethiong about what you'd have to pay for what I do they would say something about a roof and food to eat.
I never really understood what they were talking about  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Burlkraft on August 24, 2012, 04:49:13 PM

Everytime I said somethiong about what you'd have to pay for what I do they would say something about a roof and food to eat.
I never really understood what they were talking about  ;D

Well Steve.....let me introduce you to my Dad!  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

DDDfarmer

As much as we enjoy the kids help around the farm in the summer, we all look forward to the school year mostly for the routine.  Julie and I both have off-farm 8-4 jobs.  Bus picks them up at 745 and drops them off at 415.  we are all home at the same time.
Treefarmer C5C with cancar 20 (gearmatic 119) winch, Husky 562xp 576xp chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!