iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finnish Air Force and other meals you've never heard of

Started by Okrafarmer, August 21, 2012, 09:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Okrafarmer

At my house I actually do a lot of the cooking. That's because often Mrs. Okra is too wiped out to cook supper. Watching after five little sprouts all day can really wilt a lady. So I often end up cooking supper.

When I do, it is usually an improvised meal. I start by saying, "what ingredients have we got lying around here?" And then I usually wind up making one of two meals. Recently I introduced a third.

The first is called Finnish Air Force, and I learned to make it when I was 20 years old. It's real simple to make. First you take something you have, and put it in the frying pan. (ok, heat the frying pan first, and put some kind of lubricant in it, butter, for example). Then you add anywhere from 3 to 10 main ingredients, normally including meat, at least one veggie, and at least one starch (but sometimes you can't be too picky, because you just might not have the right stuff handy). You also add salt, and then you look at your spices and condiments, and start adding things from that. You taste it while it's cooking, and determine what it would take to actually make it taste good, then add some of that. Keep adding salt, spices, or condiments until it tastes good. In 14 years of production, this has only failed twice.  ::)  This dish is never the same twice.

The second dish is called Guadalcanal Gumbo. You take a pot, put some liquid in it (such as water or milk), add some ingredients (whatever you have handy), and then finish the process as for Finnish Air Force. That is, add more ingredients until it tastes good.

The third dish is called Yard Sale on a Rock. Do either of the above and serve it over baked or mashed potato.

Actually there is another one-- and that is called Sausage and Eggs. For that one, you put some ground pork sausage (or other ground sausage) in the frying pan, and scramble your eggs mixed in with your sausage. Season to taste, and add shredded cheese when it's almost ready. You can add peppers, okra, or other vegetables to it if you desire.

For dessert, try a Vermont Special. Vanilla (or other flavor) ice cream doused in real maple syrup.

8)
food1 food2 food3 digin1 digin_2 cone_1 musteat_1 sketti_1 food6 pepsi_smiley
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Dan_Shade

for my cooking, "what it would take to actually make it taste good", means having somebody else do it!

hah

other than the tasting good part, you're my kind of chef
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Okrafarmer

:o

Do I construe that to mean that you don't like your food to taste good?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

Okra,

The names of your dishes are every bit as interesting as the recipe (or lack thereof  :D). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 21, 2012, 09:33:27 PM
Okra,

The names of your dishes are every bit as interesting as the recipe (or lack thereof  :D).

My cubs think so too. My oldest (8 years old) told me the other night, "I'm really starting to like the things you cook. I didn't used to, but now I do!"

WDH

That is because the recipe calls for you to "add stuff till it tastes good"  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Okrafarmer

The name Finnish Air Force refers to the World War II era of Finland's air force, where they were desperate for any and all aircraft they could use to fight against Russia. They used fighters from:
USA
United Kingdom
France
Italy
Netherlands
Germany
Russia (yes, their enemy)
and Finland (they made a few of their own by the end of the war).

Sometimes they captured Russian fighters and bombers to use for themselves. At one time they had an entire squadron of Polikarpovs. The Finnish pilots would go into combat and be fighting an enemy flying exactly the same type of aircraft they had themselves.  ??? Talk about confusing!

The Finns put up an impressive fight. Severely outnumbered, they defended their homeland for almost the entire war, and never lost their capitol or any major city to the enemy. Their air-to-air combat record was phenomenal-- a kill-to-loss ratio high enough to be almost unbelievable, but it is well documented. All while flying second-rate aircraft cast-off by the rest of the world. OK, the Russians weren't all that well equipped either, but still. . . .

Texas Ranger

Around my house growing up, dad called it slumgullion.  But the construction was the same, usually with at least on can of something along with what ever else fit the pot.

After a while, you could eat it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Okrafarmer

I've heard it referred to as "Concoction" in Australia, and "Hobo Hash" elsewhere.

Left Coast Chris

Okra, here is another handy one I made (put together) in college and my wife uses still today.  It is fast and good:

It is called the hay stack:

Open a can of chilli or beans and heat on the stove.  Place corn chips on your plate.  Place some fresh torn spinich or lettice over the chips.   Smother with beans.  Grate cheese over the hot beans.  Dice a tomato over the cheese.  Put gucomole or sour cream on top.  Dig in.   The corn chips and beans make a complete protien and can satisfy even when working hard.   :) 8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Okrafarmer

Pot of Gold:
Use a casserole dish. Crack as many eggs into it as will fit, raw, across the bottom. Drizzle the eggs in heavy cream (you should still see the tops of the yolks sticking out). Add a reasonable amount of salt, pepper, and chives to the top, then sprinkle soft grated parmesan and cheddar cheese on top. Bake.

Very yum. That is one of Mrs. Okra's favorites to make. Tastes even better with eggs from your own chickens. (or chooks, as Meadows Miller would call them).

Left Coast Chris

You have a real arsenal there.  Im going have to try them...........when ever my wife lets me in the kitchen. :) :D
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WildDog

Hey Okra, you'd do well with your own TV cooking show. I'd sit down and watch an hour of "Okra's Concoctions" :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WildDog on August 22, 2012, 03:55:57 AM
Hey Okra, you'd do well with your own TV cooking show. I'd sit down and watch an hour of "Okra's Concoctions" :)
:D :D :D :D
I'd never run out of ideas, that's for sure.

"It's going to be Australia day today, and we're going to be making Maragumba Stew."
"Wow, sounds delicious, Okra. What's it like?"
"Oh, just beaut, Sally. Let's get a big pot down-- mmf -- and now we need some yabbies."
"Excuse me?"
"Some yabbies, Sally. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to find some. I called around to all my suppliers, asking for them, and nobody knew what I meant. So finally, I looked it up in the Australian-American dictionary and found the problem-- so then I asked for crayfish (aka crawdads), and I got a ute-load of 'em. Here are some I have waiting for us in this big pot of water over here. Careful, Sally, they're alive, and they have claws. You have to pick them up by the back, like so."
"Eeeeeew--"
"Don't worry, Sally, they're going to be dead when we eat them. They taste just exactly like chook."
"Chicken? I don't believe you."
"Well, er, they taste a LOT like chook. Except for that old wet nappy smell."
"Nappy? is that some kind of fish?"
"Err-- maybe, let's go with that. If it makes you feel better."
;D

Kansas

Sounds like what I do whenever I use the crockpot. Especially stew or chili. Even ham and beans.  The worst part is, when I really make something good, I don't have a recipe to do it again.

WDH

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WDH on August 22, 2012, 07:47:46 PM
Is that nappy or gnappy  ??? :D.
Was waiting for Wilddog to comment on that. Nappy is something we know by another name in the states. . . .

WildDog

You've nailed the Aussie lingo Okra, just need to throw a couple of Crickey's and Strewth's in :)

QuoteNappy is something we know by another name in the states

Funny how after four  "Tin Lids" one 23mth old still in Nappy's i've never called them dypers.

Looking forward to Yabby season, they don't get active untill the water reaches 14 deg celcius

My little Yabby catchin Mate, Angus

Some small ones from our dam

And on home made rolls made to our FF Norms  recipe :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Norm

Tell your beautiful wife she makes a darn better version of those buns than I do!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: WildDog on August 23, 2012, 04:45:57 AM
You've nailed the Aussie lingo Okra, just need to throw a couple of Crickey's and Strewth's in :)

I figured there was no need to overdo it, or it would sound artificial, mate!

WildDog

QuoteTell your beautiful wife she makes a darn better version of those buns than I do!

Thanks Norm, I will tell Nicky, she will be tickled pink to here it.

Thank You Sponsors!