iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging and sawing Poplar trees (aspen) with pictures.

Started by cutterboy, August 20, 2012, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: cutterboy on August 29, 2012, 07:57:32 PM
Hey Bandit, nice lumber and thanks for the pictures. What size is that big cant and what are you going to do with it?

That big cant is 6 1/4" by 17" ish by 12'4"

The industrial arts teacher from the high school is supposed to come and tell me how he wants it cut to make a table for for the library. there is one other piece that is the 3 1/8 by 17 ish by 12' that goes with it and the 5/4 is going to be made into chairs from what i have been told so far.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

cptbob06

I sawed some popple for a couple friends in the past. One used it for paneling in his house. He said it turned out really nice but he was one board short. The other time I sawed it the log was frozen and I couldn't make a dent in it. I guess I didn't saw it. I had heard it is good for trim as it can be stained to look like lots of other types of wood. I also heard that once it is dry it is hard to drive a nail into it. Couldn't prove it by my experience.
Here in Michigan, it grows fast and thick when an area is clear cut. My wife works for a company that has a sawmill and kiln operation. One of their customers buys popple lumber and processes it for a big chemical company. They in turn treat the popple with chemicals a use it for termite bait. Apparently popple is candy to termites.
Lastly I don't like the smell of popple. It has a distinct fowl odor and I avoid bringing it inside for firewood.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: cptbob06 on August 31, 2012, 10:19:35 AM

Lastly I don't like the smell of popple. It has a distinct fowl odor and I avoid bringing it inside for firewood.

Smells like a confinement type dairy barn IMHO and have a had more than a few customer say the same.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

eddiebo

Corey5 any pick of your home build? We are looking for ideas on our future build.
If you are ashamed of HIM, then surely He will be ashamed of you in His Kingdom.

cutterboy

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on August 31, 2012, 10:59:58 AM
Quote from: cptbob06 on August 31, 2012, 10:19:35 AM

It's true. Aspen does not smell very good. My drying barn also did not smell very good after I stacked the aspen in it. But now I'm sawing white pine so my drying barn smells much better. ;)

Smells like a confinement type dairy barn IMHO and have a had more than a few customer say the same.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ljohnsaw

Cuttboy,
How is your aspen doing that you are drying?  I've go quite a bit and was considering using for floor boards cut to 6/ or 8/4 and T&G.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 23, 2012, 01:50:30 AM
Cuttboy,
How is your aspen doing that you are drying?  I've go quite a bit and was considering using for floor boards cut to 6/ or 8/4 and T&G.

i have cut a fair bit of flooring for  several customers at 5/4x6"x8'/12' and then paneling at 4/4x4"x8'. The 5/4 ends up at 7/8x5 3/8ths and the 4/4 ends up at 5/8ths x 3 3/8 finished T&G. 

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 24, 2012, 08:06:03 PM
Quote from: ljohnsaw on November 23, 2012, 01:50:30 AM
Cuttboy,
How is your aspen doing that you are drying?  I've got quite a bit and was considering using for floor boards cut to 6/ or 8/4 and T&G it. (no sub-floor)

i have cut a fair bit of flooring for  several customers at 5/4x6"x8'/12' and then paneling at 4/4x4"x8'. The 5/4 ends up at 7/8x5 3/8ths and the 4/4 ends up at 5/8ths x 3 3/8 finished T&G.

...and...  Did they like it?  Did you like working with it?  Have you seen it installed/finished?  Clear finish/stained?

Thanks,
John Sawicky

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

swampbuggy

I cut some poplar last summer in Minnesota. Let it air dry over the winter. I plained it down this summer and could not believe how light in weight it was. I used it for 2x4 shelving. Worked great.
If it was easy, everyone would be doing it!

Bandmill Bandit

...and...  Did they like it?  Did you like working with it?  Have you seen it installed/finished?  Clear finish/stained?

Thanks,
[/quote]

Yes John they all liked the product and it is a growing market for me. It only way I have seen it done by any of customers I cut it for is a clear stain or epoxy finish for a kitchen floor. Clear varnish for the rest.

As far as working with it, I grew up on a dairy so the smell all though not pleasant is really about the worst part of working with it. It cuts nice and with the Razor Tip blades I get very consistant quality of cut. 

Apparently it takes dark stains very well. 

JohnM

Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Bandmill Bandit on November 26, 2012, 10:00:39 AM
<<snip>>
As far as working with it, I grew up on a dairy so the smell all though not pleasant is really about the worst part of working with it. It cuts nice and with the Razor Tip blades I get very consistent quality of cut. 
I use salvage lumber (small amounts from pallets and such) for little projects.  I had some light weight wood, very wide growth rings, light in color with a little green tinge to it.  Stunk like crazy when I cut it.  It must have been aspen, looking back now...
John Sawicky

Thank You Sponsors!