iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone use diamond wire or abrasive wire on wood?

Started by shelbycharger400, August 19, 2012, 09:20:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

Im currious as to anyone here have experience in using diamond wire or an abrasive wire on wood.
My mothers boyfriend was talking about it today, and seen it used for cutting large pieces of wood when he was in his 20's , now he is 50 something lol.

I know its mainly used on metal or stone.
Properly tensioned, it wouldnt need a guide bar  ???       
I need a mill that can do 60" plus. Dont want to buy one, and if I dont have to buy chain and a bar and all that good stuff, im all for it.

tyb525

That would be very slow, is all I can think of. It would want to follow the grain of the wood.

I have thought of converting a bandmill into a stone cutter using that abrasive wire, but not the other way around.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

beenthere

tyb is right, and I don't believe anyone saw it done 30 years ago.
Must of either seen something else, or the remembering had some lost translation.   ;)

Or it was cutting petrified wood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

When I was a teenager, several of us in high school collected barbed wire. Well, wire in general. I had some wire that was used for cutting stone. Could it have worked for wood? I don't know. I know big stone slabs were cut with it at one time. It would have been slow. Clearing the wood out of the kerf would be the problem. It would have been very high tension, from what I remember of the wire. But I would not say it would have been impossible.

5quarter

That type of cutting it already in use...sort of. I sometimes use very thin spiral blades on my delta scroll saw. They will cut in any direction and do well cutting up to 1/2" stock. For primary breakdown though it is most likely impossible and most certainly not cost effective. Your cheapest alternative is to find someone with the right gear to cut it for you. if you really want to do it yourself and are not allergic to really hard work, set yourself up a pit saw. for less than 100.00, you could build one. The trouble might be finding someone willing to be the pitman.  ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

kelLOGg

I think the wire would clog on green sawdust.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

bandmiller2

The diamond grits would rapidly clog.It would work if the collars were spaced apart with a sharp leading edge,but with high kerf losses. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!