iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular Sawmill

Started by HPPDRoss, August 19, 2012, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamsawyer

Hey Ross,

My engine didn't cost all that much. Maybe you can get smitty to bird dog one for you.  ;D
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

HPPDRoss

Im still on the hunt for some type of powerplant, hadnt give up yet.

Satamax

Ross, i don't know much about US engines. But an old 6.2 V8 diesel from an old blazer or K30 wouldn't fit the bill?
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

paul case

I have seen a few that used an old semi truck for an engine. One actually jacked up a back wheel and ran a flat belt around it. The other had took the back axle out and made a driveshaft to turn direct from the transmission. Good luck. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WH_Conley

This setup has worked for a neighbor of mine for years. No governor, he just steps on a lever when he pulls the stick.
Bill

JFarmer

My dad powered a circle mill for years off of a 460 car engine hooked up to propane, with an automatic transmission behind it. It had plenty of power and if you did hang the blade in the log you didn't have to worry about smoking belts because it would just stop. He would pull the stick with the right hand and he had a lever hooked up to a cable running to the throttle he would pull with his left hand. Him and my grandpa sawed thousands of feet with that old mill for years. I still have the mill and after reading about everyones circle mills, it makes me want to set it up! Brings back a lot of memories for me!
LT40 electric,woodmizer twin blade edger,cooks catclaw sharpener,suffolk setter, john deere 450 dozer, case 90xt skidsteer, 7010 4x4 mahindra tractor

bandmiller2

HPPD,hang in there it just a matter of time before you connect with the right engine.I have seen alot of lashups that work but nothing beats an engine with a good governor.You might try contractors that do paving with the big tracked spreaders.Those machines are critical with alot rideing on their dependibility.Those companys change out power units often, many used to use detroits now use outhers,they have clutches on them to.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

lyle niemi

Quote from: HPPDRoss on September 12, 2012, 10:43:08 AM
If you can find yourself an old massey 95 or 97 they make good mill power plants.

Satamax

The mill i'm looking to buy has an old four banger perkins with gearbox  ;D

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

reride82

Quote from: HPPDRoss on September 12, 2012, 10:43:08 AM

I don't know what there is for older farm equipment in your area, but I am using a 318LH Chrysler industrial engine out of a 1976 5542 white grain combine. It is already setup with a governor and hydraulics. Combines from the 60's and 70's used gas or diesel engines and can usually be had for scrap iron price. Once you have taken the parts you want off the machine, just sell the rest for scrap iron. I would assume the same would go for other machinery as well. The one I have had to have most of the lines, hoses, belts, and filters changed. Just a thought, maybe take a drive past farmyards and see what they have sitting around. Good luck!
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

HPPDRoss

Guys, I have spotted a possible candidate for an engine.  About 3 miles from my house theres a lates 70's early 80's john deere combine with grass and trees growed up around it a country mile.  Good thing is I know the guy pretty good, but he likes to hang onto stuff.  I'll give it a shot and see how it goes.

HPPDRoss

Guys, I've got a couple of questions concerning the husk.  I spoke with a local bandmiller who is going to saw my beams for the husk.  I have both yellow pine and oak on my land.  Can someone give me a suggestion of which would be better.  And also, once the beams are sawed, do you assemble the husk while the beams are green or let them dry. Any help would be grateful.

bandmiller2

I think if I had to choose I'd pick the yellow pine,oak is strong but not stable enough.You don't want to build it green.Best would be to have the pine milled oversize dried in a kiln  then recut to dimentions.If your not a purest a welded steel husk is better. Frank C.

HPPDRoss

Does anybody have any suggestions for the piers used in the foundation of the old mill.  I was wondering if large cedar post every 4ft set in concrete would be sufficient with treated 4x6's for the track to bolt on.

bandmiller2

Rossy,your a fairly young fella,if your planning for the long haul use cement,ether in sono tubes or in forms to look like a jersey barrior.Pressure treated would be a good idea unless your going to put a roof over it. Frank C.

HPPDRoss

I bought a power unit but cannot find any information on it what-so-ever.  It is a Waukesha 6 cylinder flathead.  All the sheetmetal,radiator, and hand clutch pto is there.  I have no idea what year it is, but it powered an old hammermill.  I bought from a co-worker fairly cheap because he said he needed the room to store more farm equipment.  It is in very good condition and would like more information on it. If anyone knows anything about these units, please let me know

bandmiller2

That Waukesha should make a good mill engine if it has enough displacement.I've owned and worked on waukesha engines, but all overhead valve.That flathead is probibly from the late 40's or 50's.I believe waukesha is still in business but into large stuff now,most of the stuff on them is genaric.Those old engines were noted for their torque, vital to a circular mill.All in all a good find. Frank C.

Don_Papenburg

I think that Oliver used them in some tractors , but I think that they were all overhead valve.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Don_Papenburg on September 30, 2012, 11:17:25 PM
I think that Oliver used them in some tractors , but I think that they were all overhead valve.

Yes, they did.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

HPPDRoss

My hunt for a diesel power unit is finally over.  A good friend of mine had a 318ci perkins diesel from a combine that he was going to use to pump water but never did.  I got it on a skid with radiator and fuel tank VERY cheap.  Engine is in good shape and runs good.  I'll try to post pics a little later.

Woodchuck53

Either of those units will be a good fit to start you on your way to spending more on your mill. You will find all kind oif things to fix and up grade. The Waukesha is and old oil field engine in our area so Reagan Supply from Morgan City, La. might be able to help. They should be in the book. Hope this helps. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

HPPDRoss

The power unit that I have has a sproket on the rear shaft that can be removed.  Building a pulley and attatching it to the shaft is no problem, but I dont know what size to build.  The mandrel pulley is approximately 24" round.  My question is what size pulley should I build to get the engine up to speed and be able to run the blade at 550rpm.  Also how do you measure blade speed to ensure that your running at the proper speed.  thanks for your help.

Okrafarmer

I can't remember for sure, but I think it's simple arithmetic. (Somebody correct me if I'm wrong). I think, if you double the diameter of the slave pulley, compared to the master pulley, you halve the speed. If you triple the size of the slave pulley, then you cut the RPMS to a third of the master pulley. So (for an easy example) if your engine output shaft is running at 2000 RPM, and you want your sawmill axle to run at 500 RPM, you need to make the pulley on the sawmill axle be four times bigger than the pulley on the engine output shaft.

:P ::) I hope I did that right.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

dblair

mine is a 23 on the arbor and a 10.5 on the engine , engine rpm is 1250 or so on a 48 inch blade for a blade rpm of 570 . my surface feet are around 7100 . that's a good wood speed .
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Okrafarmer

The RPM does not change with the diameter of the saw blade, btw, however a larger saw blade will have a higher tooth speed (feet per second) than a smaller saw blade at the same RPM.

Thank You Sponsors!