iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Circular Sawmill

Started by HPPDRoss, August 19, 2012, 04:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steamsawyer

Hey HPPDRoss,

Are we talking about a flat belt pulley on the saw shaft?

First find the engine speed... Divide the engine rpm by the arbor rpm, like maybe 2100 on the engine by 550 on the saw. That would be roughly 3.8 to 1... Now divide the 24" arbor pulley diameter by 3.8 and it will give you the engine pulley in inches. 24 divided by 3.8 = 6.3" 

I am only useing an engine speed of 2100 as an example for the math. If you have a low speed high torque engine things will work out better for you. Make sure to run your engine at its governed speed. If the rpm is higher the pulley has to be smaller and if the rpm is lower the pulley diameter would of course be larger.

The blade speed is critical, you have to keep within 50 rpm for the blade to stand up in the cut. You may need to go larger on both pulleys to avoid belt slipage. On a flat belt I would say a minimum of 10" on the engine pully might be necessary to avoid the slippage.

To the other extreme... My arbor pulley is 20" and my engine pulley is 42"... a ratio of 1 to 2.1... My blade is hammered for 500 rpm and my engine turns 250 rpm. That works out to 525 rpm on the arbor. Under load on the governor I can stay nearly dead on 500 rpm.
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

SPD748

My sheaves are 12" on the pto and 30" on the mandrel for a ratio of 2.5:1 I have a 56" saw and I'm told that 8000 fpm rim speed is a good medium so, 56/12 x pi = 14.64 ft (rim circumference). The desired rim speed of 8000 fpm divided by the saw circumference (8000/14.64) = 546 rpm. Now, with a 2.5:1 pto to mandrel ratio that means my engine will need to run (546 x 2.5) = 1366 rpm. I was planning on running at an even 1400 rpm (loaded) which will spin the saw at 560 rpm for a rim speed of ~ 8200 fpm.

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

HPPDRoss

Thanks for the replies, that really helped me out alot because I had no clue.  Also can you use one of those hand held rpm gauges that looks similar to a fluke meter to read rpm's.

bandmiller2

Hand held RPM gauges are very handy I use a Stewart Warner to check arbor speed.Have someone hold the gauge on the arbor wile your cutting to find how much droop or if you have belt slippage. Your wise to go diesel if possible as big old gasoline engines gulp gas. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

steamsawyer

Here's what I use...

The black thing is a vibratory type tac, you rotate the face and it extends the wire in and out. You extend the wire to where you get the widest oscillation on the tip and read the scale on the dial. This tac is highly accurate but is best suited for higher rpm... 1000 rpm and up.

To use either of the other two you need access to the end of the shaft that you want to check. The Stewart Warner is direct reading by 100 rpm. You stick the pickup stem of the tack into the center hole of the shaft and read the dial. It can be used in either cw or ccw rotation. The other is a revolution counter that is used with a stop watch. I usually time for a full minute, its more accurate that way.

Alan
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Alan Rudd

captain_crunch

Alan
Better put bottom one up as it may be older than your steam engine ;D ;D I got one just like it in antique cabnit
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

steamsawyer

I actually have two of them Cap, both are Starrett. With a good stop watch they are very acurate.

Alan Rudd

HPPDRoss

Can anyone give me some advice on purchasing a small bandmill.  My old circle mill is coming along nicely, but I would like to have a small bandmill to go along with it.  Ive looked at the LT10, the Woodland hm126, Hudson and Cooks but really have no idea which would be the best for me.  Im working with 3K with a little to spare on shipping.  If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.  Again, I'm not looking for production, just a hobby type bandmill.

Okrafarmer

For 3k or less, hard to go wrong with a used LT-10. If you're not in too much of a hurry, you may even find a used LT-15 in that price range. We bought our used LT-40HD for around 27% of new price, so the deals do exist out there.  ;)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

bandmiller2

Rossy,a small bandmill will just duplicate  what your circle rig will do why not a swing mill then you can handle the large stuff and be portable also.Oversize logs could be canted out and finished off on the circular for wide boards. Frank C.

HPPDRoss

I was looking on Craigslist and found a Mixon bandmill close to my house for sale.  Seller stated it had a 25 horse Kohler and fully hydraulic.  I dont think this company is in business anymore but this mill is listed in my price range.  He stated everything worked good.  Anyone got info on these mills?

False alarm, I called the guy and the price was wrong.

Okrafarmer

Oh, I hate that!  :-[

Ross, come up and see me some time! Were you one of the ones who looked at our Frick before we sold it?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

HPPDRoss

I remember yall having a frick for sale on craiglist but I bought that old circle mill of my kinfolks that they were going to throw away.  I'll do that some time, just give me your number or address, and one day Im off I'll ease that way.

Okrafarmer

Iowa Prepper

I just scored an old belsaw and am looking for a new blade for it. Currently has a 36" blade that is pretty pitted. The former owner used the saw regularly and it cuts well. Anyone have a resource for circular blades?

I haven't moved the saw yet but I will post some photos of it.

Craig-
Iowaprepper@gmail.com
Work smarter, not harder :)

captain_crunch

http://www.menomineesaw.com/
they will be able to help great people to deal with and know their bussiness
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

beenthere

Iowa Prepper
Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

Menominee Saw (sponsor as seen in the left column) is a good suggestion, but are you sure it needs a new saw or just some saw doctor work on it?  You said it saws good, so wondering if the pitting may not be serious enough for new.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Okrafarmer

Yeah, if it cuts, use it! But the good people at Menominee will be able to tell you such things for sure, if you give them a call.

Welcome to the Forum, IP!

bandmiller2

Craig,our friends at Menominee saw can take care of you.Ask around if theirs a local hammersmith most have used saws for sale or know someone that does.You want something around 40" diameter I wouldn't go over 46" on the belsaw arbor.Be aware saws made for belsaw have a smaller arbor hole than the standard 2",an adapter bushing can be used in the big hole.Be sure to get a saw with incerted bits and shanks. And Welcome. Frank C.

reride82

I have a 42" on my mill and it has been great! Sometimes you have to whittle the big ones with a chainsaw, but 95% it has been more than adequate.

Levi
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

bandmiller2

Levi is right, I cut for years with a Simonds 44" saw and  ran into few  logs I couldn't mill.A smaller saw is easier on your power plant if your not awash in power. Frank C.

HPPDRoss

I just ordered me a saw wrench and a file for the teeth.  I took bandmillers advice and bought the Dexter File Guide.

Okrafarmer

Ross, I came down to Belton last week. I looked at a bunch of nice Shortleaf pines.  :)

HPPDRoss

Okrafarmer

Quote from: HPPDRoss on December 12, 2012, 07:11:19 AM
Where at in Belton?

Ha! I forget the road now. Not too far from highway 25. I don't think I'll get the job though, at least not right away. They want someone to selectively cut six acres in exchange for milling enough lumber for a barn and some other projects. Not sure it's the kind of thing I want to get into.

Thank You Sponsors!