iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Local footbridge

Started by Ianab, August 18, 2012, 04:16:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ianab

Absolutely nothing to do with wood or trees, but it's a really cool bridge on a local walkway.

On a clear day the mountain would be framed by the bridge arch in the shot.
It's not a huge bridge or anything, but it's certainly different, and fits into the coastal environment. All the ribs in the design are individually cut to a different profile to give the breaking wave effect.

Just thought it was cool enough to share.  :)

Ian

More info and a clear day pic here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Te_Rewa_Rewa_Bridge
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tcsmpsi

You're right, Ian.  That is unique!  Thank you!    :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WDH

Definitely a design statement.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

That's a neat design, thanks for sharing it Ian.

thecfarm

What does that span for a water way,river? Looks nice. It's nice you take time out for the family.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ianab

Quote from: thecfarm on August 18, 2012, 07:47:10 AM
What does that span for a water way,river? Looks nice. It's nice you take time out for the family.
A small river

There is a walkway that runs from the port along the waterfront of New Plymouth city, and it used to end at the river. A couple of years back they extended it a couple more miles with the bridge.

The bridge idea had been tossed about for a few years until a local civil engineering guy got together with an artist and designed the bridge. Chris Whittaker put up a lot of the money to build it, and the local council the rest. It was built by a local heavy engineering co, and transported to site in one piece and craned into place.

I just like the idea of a functional sculpture like that, and have spend a lot of time surfing at the river mouth, so the wave shape really works for me.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

Very unique to say the least.  Thanks for the pictures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Very impressive structure! It makes me wonder if the pipe might be used for handling some of the water for some type of irregation.  Or Just an artistic expression, still quite the walk way.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Left Coast Chris

Hi Ian,  that is a great looking bridge.  Do you know who the architect is?  It looks like a Calatrava design.  We have a pretty large one that he designed here in Redding California also.  I would label these bridges as inspirational......but that is coming from an Engineer.   To each his own...   :) 8)    Ours is called the sundial bridge and it is an actual functioning sundial.  Here are a couple pics:

Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Ianab

The original sketch was done by a local civil construction company owner, Chris Whittaker. 
Quote"I reckoned I could build a bridge. But building a bridge that would become an iconic design – that was not as easy," Whitaker says.

The bridge was then designed by a Wellington based engineer named  Peter Mulqueen and build by a couple of local engineering companies.

Their usual lines of work are oilfield, dairy factory and road construction.  :D

So no real history of iconic bridge design, just a local effort.

Ian

giant splinter

Beautiful,and I suspect it would be a super nice photo during a sunset an a cloudy evening.
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!