iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Paranoid or reasonable to lock up a portable mill overnight

Started by chainsaw_louie, August 17, 2012, 08:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chainsaw_louie

Hi Fellas,

Maybe I am too paranoid but have you ever been concerned about leaving a highly portable , $10K investment out in the woods overnight.  I currently use a heavy chain around a tree and through the frame of the motor but I am well aware of how vunerable this is to bolt cutters. Some thoughts are:
   --12' of hardened square link chain
   -- drill holes in the alum rails and lock the rail and end frames with a high quality, hardened motorcycle wheel lock.
   -- insurance

Your thoughts or experience appreciated.

Tim

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There's probably somebody cutting your chain right now as we speak.  :D

Just kidding...your mill is probably safer where it is right now than at lot of mills that are parked in the back yard. :)

Is it insured?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dan_Shade

i think vandalism is a larger concern when a mill is left out in the woods.

I made a new hitch for mine, that has a receiver tube.  I put a ring in this to tow the mill.  when the mill is parked, I remove the ring.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Larry

My mill seldom leaves the premise.  I do have a security cable looped through one of the holes in the wheel and around the springs/axle.  I'll probably hook onto the mill one day and forget to take it off.

Plans are to cut the tongue off and make it like a receiver hitch.  That way I can take the tongue with me and leave the mill.  Just haven't got roundtoit.

Where you leave your mill should be a decision based on the risk and if you can be comfortable with that decision.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

thecfarm

I would do something,just to slow them down some. I use to park my tractor here before we built,in a locked shed. I run a metal rod through the dip stick too and put a lock on the diesel fill cap too. This way I would see something wrong.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Riggs

There is absolutely nothing paranoid about protecting a $10000 investment. I would chain it, cable it whatever it takes..
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Lookin4lunkers

Its really sad but these days if it aint bolted down it will likely disappear.  I wish I at least had fond memories of the days when you could leave something and not have to worry about it disappearing, unfortunately that's before my time.
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Delawhere Jack

Take one or both wheels off and take them with you? You're not paranoid, theft if getting out of hand nationwide. I'll spare you all my rant on this topic.

Chuck White

We've got Forestry Forum members who have had their sawmills stolen, even out of gated and locked buildings.

If you feel it is questionable, take the mill home with you at the end of the day!

I am starting a road side saw job tomorrow that will be at least two days and because of where it is, my mill will be resting in my yard again tomorrow night.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

My sawmill sleeps on the job well over 50% of the time.  So far, no problems.  I would hate to even have to think about breaking it down and towing it home every work night.

Either theft or vandalism would be a real heart breaker as well as other stuff that is unprintable. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I have been on dozens of portable jobs, and every one gets me thinking when I lay my head down. Locks are for honest people, I always thought if I made it too hard It would just pith them off and they would vandalize the engine. I have been blessed, no issues to date. I have always pulled the wheels, and  have had it on the jack stands. anyone that motivated, well have at it. I have pulled the fuel tank, and left the oil fill with a tear away, just to know if it has been tampered with, so N0 you are not paranoid, these things happen, it is just too bad we can't catch them in the act. Or maybe it is a good thing, no need to make the local news.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bugdust

I really try hard to be nice to everyone, but one thing I can't stand is a thief. And to think 20 years ago we used to leave the doors unlocked and the shed door open. Spiteful, low down DanG people would just as soon destroy your property if they can't steal it. Their idea is if they can't have it, neither can you. So, if it has any value to you, lock it up. Better to be safe than sorry.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

donny hochstetler

would there be such a thing as placing a tracking device on it ?something you could charge up during the day while youre working then placing it on the mill in some obscure place when you get there in the morn . great,  if the mill would happen to not be there,  you could track it I"m just thinking dont even know if there is such a thing

donny hochstetler

just as I posted I thought of my neigbors  coonhound, gps system, they can not only tell where there at but also wher they were BUT they are limited in range  that would look funny a sawmill with a dogcollar  :D :D

Leigh Family Farm

You can actually purchase magnetic GPS trackers for about $1000 online. You then secret it on the mill and change the batteries every few weeks or when you are on a job site. The only problem is I don't know how accurate they are, if its a monthly service, or if they need to face the sky for satellite reception.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

beenthere

For less than $1k, you can buy an iPad and just leave it with the mill. Then locate it with the GPS as we read about on another thread here today by Bandmill Bandit.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,53586.msg878419.html#msg878419
Cheaper and the thieves may just take the iPad and leave the mill alone.  ::)
In the meantime, can keep records, etc. on the iPad, take pics, use the internet, and a few other things. (Just can't take it home with you. :) )

Just a thought.

And for the earlier post
QuoteTheir idea is if they can't have it, neither can you
I'll bet dollars to donuts that I am sure which party they vote for in the next election.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodmills1

I wish I could say theft only happens to those with bad karma

that just aint true

the last 10 years have seen me go from not locking anything

to parking the truck and trailer cross the drive so no entry
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

leroy in kansas

Quote from: donny hochstetler on August 17, 2012, 10:58:45 PM
would there be such a thing as placing a tracking device on it ?something you could charge up during the day while youre working then placing it on the mill in some obscure place when you get there in the morn . great,  if the mill would happen to not be there,  you could track it I"m just thinking dont even know if there is such a thing

I have a concession trailer that I rent for events. I have a gps mounted on the roof which is hooked into the hot wire from the towing vehicle. When the plug is connected it lights up. It's very inexpensive, little less than $300 and $20/mo maint.  I figure it's worth every penny just to be capable of knowing where my trailer is going. I'll send you a link if you like.

drobertson

Yep, you just have  to love technology,  this sounds like the plan to me!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Satamax

I used to work for a company that tracked down all the vehicules with GPS. Etienne would wake up for his work day, go down to the work site, leave the car there, then go to the pub walking.  ;D But the GPS part worked lovely. Don't know about the price tho.

One thing that we do in france, lift the expensive equipement with the crane. Gets a bit hard for thieves to get to it.  Another company i like is churchwood in uk, who makes the van vault. Good product. You have to work hard to open one of thoses toolboxes. They're locked by "master" discs locks embeded in the toolbox construction.  On some sawmills, you could remove the head and put it in the back of the pickup. But not WM. Another idea, for the woods only, camoflage tarp could be handy.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

wdtik

A zoomback might be all you need, or a cell phone trail cam.
I've never used either one.  I saw somewhere that the average
person is videoed 30+ per day.. what a world we live in

bandmiller2

I would say it depends where you park it,probibly the best deterant is to take one wheel off and somehow chain or lock the hub.Its good form on your fuel,engine, and hydraulic to make a small mark in back and before you start up check it to see if its been tampered with. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

chainsaw_louie

Thanks for the replies.  If there is a solution it may be in a combination of :
  luck
   insurance (not sure how to get it )
   locking up the machinery with various high quality locks (kryptonite chain)

A Lucas or Peterson mill presents unique problems as it can be taken apart and basically carried or wheeled away.

Surveillance devices like game camera's (all have motion detection and some have ability to send email) below are some ideas I have thought about:

Trail Camera solutions for  security monitoring I have looked at:

#1)   this phone enabled camera $350 and get a cellular contract, not sure what the minum requirement is for said phone contract  but may be able to get a 'prepaid contract' instead of a monthly
    http://www.trailcampro.com/scoutguardsg580m.aspx

#2)  build one - not as hard as I think(hmm).... a few components....am considering this,  cost $250:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5772777_build-camera-live-video-stream.html

use this route refurb for   http://www.amazon.com/CradlePoint-CTR35-Wireless-Portable-Router/dp/B004J16XB6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1334143984&sr=1-1

wireless phone device , prepaid contract,  $50,  to send you email etc when motion is detected...your phone beeps , you wake up look at picture and go investigate:
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/prepaid.aspx?shape=laptop

camera like this :  http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Network-Viewing/dp/B00466X9SY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

John_Haylow

2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Solomon

I've got closer to $40,000.00 tied up in my LM4.   I take it home with me at the end of the day,   no exeptions.  I can pack it up for travel in about 30 min.   And the same for set up time.   The piece of mind is worth more to me than an hour of my time.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

Thank You Sponsors!