iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oregon lo pro 3/8" chisel ??

Started by Al_Smith, August 17, 2012, 12:06:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al_Smith

Rather than horn in on another thread that I said I'd never post to again I pose a question .

Rumor has been alluded to that perhaps in response to Stihl having brought out Picco super ( 63 PMCS ) that Oregon might follow suit .

Now if in fact so it comes as no surprise although not widely talked about like it's a deep dark secret nobody but perhaps the inner sanctum sactorium is privileged to .

A few of us knew for example months in advance of the Stihl deal .In fact we had the stuff before most dealers locally carried it .

So anybody in the know might just as well fess up because once it's on the market which I'm certain given enough time it will that new news will be old news .

JohnG28

I was wondering the same after that thread, as is HolmenTree. Only thing I saw was in Bailey's they say the 91vxl has a "newly designed cutter." It's still just semi chisel 3/8 lo pro though. Got me. ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Al_Smith

Well as far as chisel design for small chain it's really nothing new .Fact I've mentioned several times the 1/4" chisel chain Oregon made in the late 70's until Ralph Nader the mouth had it taken off the market .Evidently trying to protect ourselves from ourselves .

Now in spite of Mr. Naders attempts I serious doubt it protected any body .

Now of days perhaps in Mr Naders role as basically a lame duck with no clout the time  might be ripe to introduce a "new design " which in reality is just an old one reborn .Kinda came full circle so to speak . ;)

Clam77

Looking at the Oregon website.. they have the 91VXL which is the semi-chisel with the new longer top-plate, and then they show a 91VX that's "chamfer chisel", the 91VG that's the "vangaurd", and the new one that matches up with Stihl's 63PMC which is the 91PX. 

The 91VG and 91PX both match up to Stihl's 63PMC, both chamfer chisel, and are both "low kick-back" chains, up to 42cc & 18"... according to the catalog.

There's also an M91VX "Multicut", that has blued cutters with extra chrome plating for working with dirtier wood.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Cut4fun

I'm still waiting for that Oregon chisel chain too Al. It's got to be in the works you would think.

That stihl 63PS3 chisel chain cuts so sweet on the small saws with 3/8LP picco.  8)

ladylake

I'm wanting to try a lp 3/8 6 tooth on one of my 50 cc saws, that setup really make my 40cc Echo cut.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Al_Smith

Generally speaking the 50 CC or 3 cubers can go either way from .325 or 3/8" standard .Either size in chisel would likely out cut pico size chain even if chisel .

Some of the Poulan/Craftsman 46 cc saws came with 3/8" low pro and quite frankly they didn't do as well as with .325 .

In my way of thinking lo pro 3/8 is for trim saw sizes ,2 cubers more or less .

Now I've tried 3/8 pico in narrow gauge which I think is 42 thou driver width which might be a tad faster than 50 thou .Niether however is as fast as chisel .

Now if you file the chisel in square of course it's even faster but only a few of us gear heads go to those extremes . ;)

Thank You Sponsors!