iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawmll shed begins!

Started by lyle niemi, August 17, 2012, 12:04:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lyle niemi

The trusses for the mill showed up this morning. It wont be long before I start to drill some holes 8)

Al_Smith

My goodness man where do you find time to farm let alone sleep ? You're busier than a cat covering three sand boxes or a one legged man in a azz kicking contest . :D

John_Haylow

Looks like 36'x ? Am I close Lyle?
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

Slingshot

I would call that 'starting at the top and coming down'.  ::)

lyle niemi

Quote from: John_Haylow on August 17, 2012, 12:29:21 PM
Looks like 36'x ? Am I close Lyle?
John
You are very close, they are 40 foot trusses. The first stage of the shed will be 40x40 with a 16 foot ceiling. Im hoping to have it closed in before the snow flies

John_Haylow

Good for you..keep us posted.
John

Magicman

This is gonna be nice.  Looks  :o  like you spell big with a capital "B".   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

kgbond

Up north thats a shed, where I live its called a costco, my god thats gigantic . Really looking forward to seeing this put up.

Kimball

John_Haylow

What is the green log deck we see in the background Lyle?
John

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lyle niemi

I started to build th poles this mornin for the sawmill shed. I bought treated 6x6 for the bottom and used me own lumber for the top. I run the 6x6s threw the mill about 3 feet so I have a nice edge to laminate to

Lud

Lyle,
         I put up my millshed last year and suggest you carefully lay out doors to provide access  for loading and removal but also to beneficially control airflow. I put an overhead on my west side (where the breeze usually comes from) and a 16' rollup window out of dairy barn fabric on the east and I don't eat dust when I saw.

Also the millshed warms up 10-15 degrees warmer than the main barn due to the solar gain IF the doors are all closed up.  Nice in the cooler seasons.

Hope you get the most out of your millshed like I did. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Sawdust Lover

It's funny how we learn the hard way. I built my sawmill shed before I bought the mill and learned very quickly I had built a wind tunnel. I had built the shed so that the wind was always blowing at me when i was sawing and covering me with sawdust. I have since built a new shed and now I use the old one for lumber storage.

thecfarm

Sawdust Lover,welcome to the forum. What have you got for a mill? Been sawing long? Sounds like you sell lumber?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lyle niemi

Dave and I got all the holes marked out for the shed yesterday. Maybe this afternoon we might get some holes drilled. It was a little difficult to mark things out with the mill in the way but I think we got things squared up????

thecfarm

You will find out if it's square when you start building.   :D 

lyle niemi

got some holes drilled this afternoon 8)

beenthere

And we won't be surprised to see the roofing go on tomorrow.... ;D
No grass grows under your feet, that is for sure. Nice work.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

slider

now that i like,treated for in the ground and your cant's on up ,this is my kinda thinking.great planning on your part lyle 
al glenn

LAZERDAN

The frost must be out of the ground by now ey   Ha ha            Nice start    Lazerdan

petefrom bearswamp

Lyle, I'm jealous.
My pitiful shed which is really just a pavilion type structure, is 12x26, open on all 4 sides  and cold in the winter the few times I saw then.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

lyle niemi

Dave and I got the poles all lined up this mornin. We made use of the old kenworth I bought the other day, makes good solid scaffolding

Leigh Family Farm

That shed is gonna be sweet and massive! Nice job and keep the pics coming.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

lyle niemi

Dave and I are movin forward, I mean UP!

Mark Wentzell

Do you eat? Sleep? Bathe?  ??? or just work?  :D

Do you have other plans for that Kenworth other than scaffolding?

Thank You Sponsors!