iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keto vs Sp harvesting heads

Started by seamielog, August 17, 2012, 10:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seamielog

hey guys we run a keto 100ld head on a converted komatsu 138 in my opinion its very poor production.ive seen SP heads on similar machines on youtube they look far more impressive. does any one have any exlerience of SP heads ?
Need change of scenery, new country i think

kiko

I know nothing of the SP head. You say converted matsu. Are the hydraulics for the head drawn off the main pump or does it have a dedicated pump. Hydraulic flow is what makes speed. Flow and pressure are two different thiings.  What I am getting at is that the head may not be the reason for the poor production , rather it may be the carrier.

snowstorm

i have a 150 keto. i think it works very well. you need 75gpm and 3800psi for it to give all it can. how big of wood are you cutting? soft or hard? i cut anything under 24" on the stump. sp fir hw pine hemlock it dosent like but it will do it. the problem with hemlock is your trying to get 3 or 4 limbs at once and they may be 3"in dia. a lot of it is how the computer is programed. reset the ramp up speed of the tracks from 150 miliseconds to 50. it hits the limbs harder quicker. with a tree that limbs hard dont run it in auto mode

seamielog

i think ye are right about the carrier being the problem.there is only one pump to do 2 jobs and max flow on the spec sheet is 64gpm.its all soft wood we cut norway/sitka spruce, alot of brash on the stems but nothing like 3" dia.the 100 head cant handle any thing over 16" off the stump or crosscut.excavator conversion doesnt work for harvesting i wish my boss would listen.i could build a komatsu from the ground up after 18 months of constant repairs.as for the SP head check them out on youtube on doosan 140 i think youll be impressed.thanks for the help lads
Need change of scenery, new country i think

Thank You Sponsors!