iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I swear......next time he calls, I will send him to GEORGIA!

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, August 16, 2012, 08:54:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had a customer who called me 3 different times to day fussing about the same DanG thing everytime.
He told me he was tired of buying Loblolly and Short Leaf Pine from me because some was yellow and some was a lighter yellow.
He said from now on he wants 100% Southern Yellow Pine. I told him he was and has been getting SYP. He uses my boards for storage buildings ( he sales ) and stains them. DUH........ ::)
He says the stain shows a different shade on the SYP vs. Loblolly and Short Leaf.

I just sent him this explanation by email I got from the internet.

Southern Yellow Pine (often abbreviated SYP) doesn't refer to any one species of tree, but rather a group of species which are classified as yellow pine (as opposed to white pine), and are native to the Southern United States. They grow very well in the acidic red clay soil found in most of the region. The varieties include Loblolly, Longleaf, Shortleaf, and Slash pines.[1] It typically has a density value between 50-55 lbs/cubic foot when pressurized.

I only sell Loblolly and Short Leaf and I know the tracts it comes from. I don't sell Virginia or LongLeaf or White Pine. Sometimes the yellow color is a little different shade, but when it cures, it's all the same color. A green log is a different shade of yellow than a dried log. I'm thinking this guy's stain is off a little. I know for a fact if you buy 2 different 5 gallon buckets of mixed stain with the hopes that they are exact......the colors will be a little off. I'm thinking this is what this guy is doing.

But I could hardly get a word in when trying to explain.  >:( >:( >:(

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on August 16, 2012, 08:59:02 PM
customer is always right David ;D :D

I don't know Buck......this guys calling.....I'm trying to get a busted power steering hose off the backhoe.......getting fluid all over my cell phone........my poor 'ol Dad, bless his heart, hears me holler on the phone over the tractor engine, but does not know I'm on the phone and my Dad is hollaring WHICH WAY? RIGHT OR LEFT?
I mean I'm chewing my tongue trying to be nice..........sweat getting in my eyes, dirt down my shirt....knats in my face......I need to spit "backer juice" and can't.......I finally just hung up on the guy......then I start laughing  :D :D :D like " can you hear me now ********?

I have not been this mad in a long time!

I'M STILL MAD!"

hamptonlawyer

Maybe it's all that orange paint fading and running off onto the wood that makes them look different once stained.  I heard the red ones don't have that problem!!  ;) :)

Meadows Miller

Some mothers do ave em Dave  :( :)  :D I take it hes also trying to stain GOS (Green Off Saw) to  ??? If so I dont know what he is expecting Mate  ::) ::)
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Carlton

Having dealt with finishes including massive amounts of stains I would say the customer is not right this time!! Stains vary from batch to batch and for accurate use you should always by large enough quantities to finish the job you are working on and not have loads left over. If you do have several gallons left mix them with the next batch of the same color stain and this will help shade out slight variances of the two different batches. Also wood by nature will take stain at different amounts depending on the density of the wood and openess of the grain.

Buck

I have the vision of Jackie Gleason in mind with his arms spread going OHM  OHM  OHM ;D
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Buck on August 16, 2012, 09:17:15 PM
I have the vision of Jackie Gleason in mind with his arms spread going OHM  OHM  OHM ;D

It would not have been so bad Buck, but the 3rd time he called he was referring to everything I was saying was B.S.  Since I've been sawing, I've never had a situation where people would not at least listen and TRY to understand COMMON SENSE.

Joanie

Don't send him here, we have enough crazy people in Ga. :D
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Delawhere Jack

10% 25% premium for straight single species orders.......

If it means that much to him, why not........

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 16, 2012, 09:32:03 PM
10% 25% premium for straight single species orders.......

If it means that much to him, why not........

He said the thickness and width was perfect as well as being good straight lumber......it's just the difference in color.  say_what

Buck

well, I've tried to lighten the mood....I think I would have lost my mind too.  Right after the first BS!

"I will send him to Georgia"...is that the same as "to the moon Alice"?

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 16, 2012, 09:31:16 PM
Quote from: Buck on August 16, 2012, 09:17:15 PM

It would not have been so bad Buck, but the 3rd time he called he was referring to everything I was saying was B.S.  Since I've been sawing, I've never had a situation where people would not at least listen and TRY to understand COMMON SENSE.

David, what is it that you would like to tell the group?

;D ;D ;D ;D

Illegitimi non carborundum

That's been my motto for years, getting to be more and more so as I "mature".  :-\

(Sorry Bro, I just got that nurse Ratchet thing stuck in my head  smiley_tom_dizzyguy01.....It makes me laugh. Try working retail building materials for about a decade, then you'll really know what crazy customers really are.......)

hamish

Turn off your cell phone.

Guess you cant text either with hydraulic fluid allover your hands.

Remember when your phone was in your house............how much more got done, and peaceful it was.

Zombies........just zombies..........
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

WDH

David,

I really appreciate that you are sending him my way as you must appreciate my technical expertise.   I will tell him that the problem lies in the fact that there are no vessel elements in yellow pine as well as no schlerids or fiber tracheids, just plain old longitudinal tracheids.  Those bordered pits on the cell walls of the longitudinal tracheids are just plain mis-behaving.  When they should be open, they are closed, and when they are closed, they are open.  The S2 layer in the cell walls is probably too thick.

On second thought, just tell him that he is not holding his mouth right  :).  Yea, that is the answer.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slider

David, i'm not an expert but what about a mineral spirits wash be fore he applies the stain.Any cabinet maker can help you on this. good luck.  al
al glenn

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: WDH on August 16, 2012, 09:48:30 PM
David,

I really appreciate that you are sending him my way as you must appreciate my technical expertise.   I will tell him that the problem lies in the fact that there are no vessel elements in yellow pine as well as no schlerids or fiber tracheids, just plain old longitudinal tracheids.  Those bordered pits on the cell walls of the longitudinal tracheids are just plain mis-behaving.  When they should be open, they are closed, and when they are closed, they are open.  The S2 layer in the cell walls is probably too thick.

On second thought, just tell him that he is not holding his mouth right  :).  Yea, that is the answer.

Danny, you know that we all wait for our turn to speak in group. Isn't that right Danny?

(ok, I PROMISE, that's the last time I post that image........)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

David,

I never in my life thought your WORDING would finally be of use to me. If he answers the last email I sent him, I will COPY and PASTE your reply when I answer him.  :D

So I hope he understands the LONGATUBES and LATTACELLS and SHERLIDS and PIT TRACKHEADS or whatever you were talking about.  say_what

bugdust

Dave,
Remember, it's not good to work one's body up like that. Just simply tell the guy, "If you don't like what I sell, DON'T BUY IT!"  go_away
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

WDH

Good.

He will read that and understand it immediately so you will not have to send him to Georgia.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Cutting Edge

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 16, 2012, 09:55:05 PM
David,

I never in my life thought your WORDING would finally be of use to me. If he answers the last email I sent him, I will COPY and PASTE your reply when I answer him.  :D

So I hope he understands the LONGATUBES and LATTACELLS and SHERLIDS and PIT TRACKHEADS or whatever you were talking about.  say_what

David....How many times does WDH have to repeat himself.  I would expect by now you would have almost every response memorized by now.  Shoot, you outta be able to preach it from a pulpit!!  Its all about the delivery....If you can "act" like you know what you're talkin' about... :-X     :D
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

Magicman

I have sawed SYP logs from the same whack that varied from deep orange to light yellow and all were Loblolly.  Different trees growing in different soils will vary in color, and they may have grown less than 100' apart.  Customers and I have remarked about the different shades and colors many times.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2012, 10:27:46 PM
I have sawed SYP logs from the same whack that varied from deep orange to light yellow and all were Loblolly.  Different trees growing in different soils will vary in color, and they may have grown less than 100' apart.  Customers and I have remarked about the different shades and colors many times.

This is what I tried to explain to him.....I think his stain is being mixed "whacky". He's bought probably 1,000 boards from me in a little over a year and this is the first time he's complained.

Delawhere Jack

Plastics are the problem!  >:(

People these days expect everything to be homogenized. Everything exactly the same, no variation.......quality control doncha know. You can get a Whopper sandwich in Japan that tastes exactly the same as the Whopper you ate yesterday in Hoboken NJ. It's sad really.

I don't have an answer to the problem, just sayin.........

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 16, 2012, 10:36:15 PM
Plastics are the problem!  >:(

People these days expect everything to be homogenized. Everything exactly the same, no variation.......quality control doncha know. You can get a Whopper sandwich in Japan that tastes exactly the same as the Whopper you ate yesterday in Hoboken NJ. It's sad really.

I don't have an answer to the problem, just sayin.........

I think the guy is mixing himself a drink before he mixes his stain.  :D :D :D

metalspinner

Why is he staining it at all.  Why can't it just look like southern yellow pine???

In addition, pine is one of the hardest woods to stain evenly.  Is he drying the wood?

If one of my customers started swearing at me he'll here the dial tone quick. Go find somebody else to do your work.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

paul case

Quote from: metalspinner on August 16, 2012, 10:46:29 PM

If one of my customers started swearing at me he'll here the dial tone quick. Go find somebody else to do your work.

That is my take exactly.
I had one fella say''Hey dont walk away while I am ******@#$ talking to you''to which I replied ''I wouldnt talk to someone I don't care for like that I expect the same from you. The gate is that way>''.
He talks real sweet to me and has no bad words to say when he is around me now.

I dont like words with hair on them. PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Sixacresand

They say if a customer files a complaint, most businesses  initially blame their vendors. Then they find an internal problem (operator error, kink in the stain sprayer hose, etc).  Then they never call the vendor (Postonlt40hd) and let them off the hook or appologize. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

leroy in kansas

My standard response to difficult individuals generally starts with a text,    "Dear Richard Cranium"  they generally get it figured out.

Satamax

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2012, 10:27:46 PM

I've seen a carpenter write on hiw invoices "wood is a living species, which comes in all sorts of collors, with different grains and defects. like any other living species.  If you want uniformised and standardised product, buy plastic"

I sometimes write that on the invoices now.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Cedarman

You folks make me appreciate ERC. Every board is the same. No variation.
Printed paneling and plastic boards sure make it tough on us.  I go for people that like character.  Why I like the forum, its got Characters. ;D ;D
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

NMFP

Short and simple..... Dont sell to him.  I had a customer 3 years ago that wanted me to cut some logs for him.  He dropped off 4 rock oaks and 6 white oaks.  I sawed them into 100% 4/4 because thats what he wanted, stickered and air dried for him.  When he picked it up, he informed me I didnt know what i was doing because I mixed the two species together and he couldnt tell which one was which.  I explained to him that rock oak and white oak both produce "white oak" sorts and that they are considered the same product in the end.  After many discussions and phone calls, I finally told him to take his buisiness else where.  He did and now..... he called me the other week wanting me to saw some logs for him because he cannot find anyone that will cut them for him.

I am a believer that the customer is not always right and that those that cause problems and issues tell others of the same nature.  I have been very successful with my business and these policies and I do not regret one moment of it.  I am in business to make money, not deal with all of the loons out there!

WH_Conley

Bill

WDH

I agree with the plastic wood option if he wants everything exactly uniform. 

Magicman

Quote from: Cedarman on August 17, 2012, 06:35:44 AM

Maybe that was "tongue in cheek", but I have sawed ERC that varied from a deep purple to a light pink, and even a light orange color.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Nomad

POSTON, tell this guy he needs to have the operation done to put a plexiglass plate in his stomach.  If his head is that far up his butt he can unbutton his shirt and still see where he's going.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

isawlogs

Magigman... You must have SRC  Southern red cedar.   ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

sealark37

The customer is not crazy or off base.  He is simply trying to get a lower price.  I would simply apologize for my inability to meet his needs.  Let him decide if he can live with your lumber or not.  Regards, Clark

Magicman

Quote from: isawlogs on August 17, 2012, 08:39:17 AM
Magigman... You must have SRC  Southern red cedar.   ;D 

Maybe it's even ERSC......Eastern Redneck Southern Cedar.   ;D

drobertson

It really is sad when our dear custormers begin to wrestle with the fact they want a sawmill, just not the day to day hassles that come with owning one. I think i have cut every species of SYP in this part of Southern Missouri and have to say the all the folks writting in are correct. soils change the wood color and the range of blueing that comes with pine.  The folks I sell to are extremely satisified with the quality of dimesional lumber and understand the variation that comes from different logs.  This fellow will soon come to realize this and be happy again.  Try to keep him, other than  this brief misunderstanding, custormers are good to have.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

submarinesailor

Quote from: Joanie on August 16, 2012, 09:31:26 PM
Don't send him here, we have enough crazy people in Ga. :D

That's why I left clear back in 1986. :o :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Bruce

ellmoe

Customers like this is why I have a competitor down the street. I refer these customers to him. He is not quite as polite as I usually am. ;D
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Kansas

Just send him to Kansas and I will sell him some fuzzy cottonwood. He will come back as a customer and you can sell it for just as much as you want to charge.

Cedarman

At the first call, I would ask if the problem is that he needs all the boards the same shade or just the boards that are on each individual shed not to vary.  If it is each shed needs to be the same, then impossible.  If just on each individual shed needs to be the same, I would suggest he stain the boards before putting them on, match the colors and then build.  He would then have each shed its own shade.
I would see what it takes to solve his problem.
If solvable figure a cost, if not, then it is impossible.  By talking with my customers, I have been able to solve a lot of their problems. Of course I charge a premium that makes me happy.  Price is almost never the issue if the customer gets what they want.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Tom L

Quote from: Cedarman on August 17, 2012, 09:12:38 AM
At the first call, I would ask if the problem is that he needs all the boards the same shade or just the boards that are on each individual shed not to vary.  If it is each shed needs to be the same, then impossible.  If just on each individual shed needs to be the same, I would suggest he stain the boards before putting them on, match the colors and then build.  He would then have each shed its own shade.
I would see what it takes to solve his problem.
If solvable figure a cost, if not, then it is impossible.  By talking with my customers, I have been able to solve a lot of their problems. Of course I charge a premium that makes me happy.  Price is almost never the issue if the customer gets what they want.

great idea, and good business

tcsmpsi

But...it is the diversity in the wood structure that is significant of its beauty.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Kansas

Its why we let certain species of logs set to get a smoky appearance such as hackberry. Or let it sit longer and try for some spalt, in soft maple, sycamore, and hackberry. If there is one thing I learned when my house was built, the more diversity you have, the better things look.

This is my personal opinion. But seems to me, adding some sort of finish that just brings out the best of the wood,that is fine. But why stain?

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Well my customer didn't call back today.....thank goodness. He didn't even answer my email.......thank goodness.

Spent the whole dad burn day putting a new power steering hose on the 555C and now have it running.....thank goodness.

And now....I'm gonna forget about the whole situation, take a shower, round the "Clampetts" up and go find the BIGGEST fried flounder I can find!  food6

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

drobertson

David, that is one thing I miss the most about the Carolina's, the great seafood just around the corner, enjoy the family, and the dinner, I guess we should all be thankful for the meal we have with family. The logs and  lumber will take care of it self.  Have a great week end Brother!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2012, 07:59:36 PM
Thank Goodness (for Fried Flounder)!

Changed my mind......when I got to the Fish Camp, I ordered a BIG plate of SALT-N-PEPPER CATFISH!  musteat_1

Now I'm laid back in my recliner,
A pinch of Grizzly between my cheek and gum,
A hot cup of CAPPICHINO on the end table,
The CAROLINA PANTHERS are getting ready to kick off,
I'm on the FORESTRY FORUM, chasing Danny,  ;D

AND I COULD GIVE A HOOT-N-NANNY HOW MANY COLORS SYP COME IN!  :D :D :D :D :D

Tree Feller

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 17, 2012, 08:08:25 PM
Quote from: WDH on August 17, 2012, 07:59:36 PM
Thank Goodness (for Fried Flounder)!

Changed my mind......when I got to the Fish Camp, I ordered a BIG plate of SALT-N-PEPPER CATFISH!  musteat_1

Now I'm laid back in my recliner,
A pinch of Grizzly between my cheek and gum,
A hot cup of CAPPICHINO on the end table,
The CAROLINA PANTHERS are getting ready to kick off,
I'm on the FORESTRY FORUM, chasing Danny,  ;D

AND I COULD GIVE A HOOT-N-NANNY HOW MANY COLORS SYP COME IN!  :D :D :D :D :D

Now, that's livin' large!   8)
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

drobertson

Now you are talking! Sounds like you got it gathered up,  way to go, just spent 5 min, looking for my chew, the wife took me out to see the expendables, had the can in my bottom cargo pocket, and my arm was'nt long enough to reach. Three rigs and a head scratching and then I found it,  Thought it might be a good time to quit chewing. But not tonight. 

DanG

I hope you enjoyed the flounder, David, 'cause this little problem is going to return one day.  I'll bet you're facing the same circumstance we have with some customers down here.  Some of the old-time loggers in the less sophisticated areas refer to longleaf as yellow pine, and the others as white pine.  These folks are ready to fight if you try to tell them different, 'cause their Granddaddy told them that's the way it is and their Granddaddy was never wrong about anything.  I finally learned to just go along with them and charged more for the "yellow pine."  I got into a little argument with one of them about engines one time.  He bought a truck with a 5.7 liter engine, and wouldn't believe it was the same as a 350.  He said his old truck had a cubic inch engine, and didn't have no liters in it.

Have ya ever sawed any turkey pine?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Cedarman on August 17, 2012, 06:35:44 AM
:o
Not around here!

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Quote from: DanG on August 18, 2012, 09:18:26 AMHave ya ever sawed any turkey pine? 

I saw an occasional Turkey Pine here.  Matter of fact, I sawed some in July.   It is not supposed to be much for framing lumber, but it works well for sheathing, etc.

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

WDH

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thank You Sponsors!