iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Redirect Google virus

Started by beenthere, August 16, 2012, 04:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

I think my computer has it, and wonder if anyone else is bothered by it.

When starting a Google search, finding a particular topic is of interest, and then by clicking on it - the virus redirects to a different site. Going back to Google and clicking on the site of interest again, the virus doesn't redirect the second time.

Tough for me to see which of several suggested fixes might work to clean it out of the computer.

I do have MalwareBytes Anti-malware installed and updated, but it doesn't seem to do its job of finding this virus.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ernie

I use Firefox, it automatically blocks redirects, a lot of sites seem to try to redirect so maybe I have it too and Firefox beats it.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Warbird

I don't have any experience with that one, BT.  Do you have a second computer or a laptop you can borrow, so you can see the removal directions on a separate screen?

beenthere

Warbird
I will try to set that up with a second computer.

One problem is the many different suggestions as well as names of what to do.
But I need to keep trying something.
There are several hits for the "redirect google virus".

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

You would be better searching for browser hijack  than google redirect. Its not a virus, but malware. Had to deal with it a couple times on Tammy and Stacy's machines. Not easy to get rid of. Many times it is accompanied by some sore of fake security alert wanting you to buy something to get rid of it. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

Found this video for a fix. Looks pretty straight forward, and does explain the redirect problem I'm having.
May give it a shot to try to locate the bad drivers. Maybe I'll learn something as well.
(but Jeff, will first do a search on your suggestion too ) ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-YPtErh1t4
south central Wisconsin

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WH_Conley

What was the outcome BT? Sounds like I got the exact same one now. Haven't been able to get rid of it yet.
Bill

drobertson

Yep been dealing with it too.  Then prompted for a program to help speed up the computer. For a price.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

Update.
I just lived with that redirect problem, and suddenly it just stopped running on my computer.
(Too complicated to me to follow the long list of instructions to remove it.)

However, last week it appeared again, and I just did a "restore" on my computer to a couple days prior and it cured the problem.
Not sure if it just laid dormant for several months or re-infected some how.

But it only bothered when trying to use Google to search, if I recall correctly.

south central Wisconsin

mometal77

I have malwarebytes best i have come across even got rid of a re direct in an old gateway. They even have a forum to help you out. A friend gave me the program.  If using google chrome i have to delete extensions and sometimes all history.   Another bad one going around is called White Smoke a nasty little bugger going around. And he got it from a legit site.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Jeff

I have the paid version of malwarebytes. It is crazy how often it will jump up with an alert, simply by clicking on what seems to be the most innocent of search engine result links.  There are a lot of effected/infected websites out there, and you never know it if you don't have the proper protection.  I think it takes the paid version to protect you from web links in real time.

Magicman

What I had a couple of weeks ago came with a Java update.  That is innocent enough, but if you blow through the update, you could end up with some goodies that you really did not want.  I guess that it is just a marketing trick.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

You can also check out the NoScript add-on/extension for FireFox.

Magicman

Yup, for me it was those add-on extensions that I disabled to fix the problem.

I guess that I could go and delete them now?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

Yeah, you should be fine to delete those extensions.

Brian_Rhoad

Microsoft Security Essentials has worked very well for me. It blocks infected sites and notifies if the site may have a problem.

Jeff

Quote from: Brian_Rhoad on March 23, 2013, 01:07:18 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials has worked very well for me. It blocks infected sites and notifies if the site may have a problem.

Essentials does very little to stop malware, which is different than viruses.

SwampDonkey

I've never had those troubles so far. If there is a suspicious site I get a warning before proceeding. And I don't proceed. I use Noscript all the time as well as Adblocker. I like blocking ads or elements of a page because on dialup they add a lot of bloat sometimes. Some people will put a header on a page that is just a color bar, but it will be 300K in size or more. That's just sloppy web page building.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))