iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help me!!!!!!! UP DATE

Started by Joanie, August 16, 2012, 03:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joanie

The mill blew 2 225amp fuses today.
1 Can you get those fuses at a hardware store orf do they have to come from WM?
2 I think we traced the problem to the hud moter, took it of it was super hot. The armetur(SP i'm suffering a       migrain as I type this) was black, so off to the electric motor rebuild place in the morning.
3 Am I wrong in thinking that look a whole lot like an older model ford starter.
4 Has anyone else had trouble like this before?

Thanks in advance, It's nap time to get rid of this migrain.
Yes this gal loves Grease and saw dust. Oh and my cat and my honey.
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

Solomon

Wood Mizer are great folks,  give'em a call Joanie.  They will know how to correct the problem or at least put you on the right path to find the problem.  Pete.
Time and Money,  If you have the one, you rarely have the other.

The Path to Salvation is narrow, and the path to damnnation is wide.

tyb525

Give WM a call, they have the best customer service you will find.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

isawlogs

That fuse is the hydraulic fuse. Yes your motor needs attention, they can be rebuilt I have had mine (We share almost the same mill , mine is a lt40hd '93 ) rebuilt many times. The rebuilding shop had one the same that came off a plow unit. I don't recall if they ever told me what model or not . but I did buy it as a spare.

The fuses can be bought from an electrical shop, I have. I have also in a bind sodered (welded) the fuses back together.  ;)

Your motor must of shown signs before blowing fuse, re# not turning as fast and a little noisier while under load. I would not worry to much over this, its like the first time a blade breaks...  :o :o   :D   Its all in a days working with a mill.  Glad you where able to pin point it down the the armature.  :P
  I have a little over 6500hrs on my mill , its been around some , not much I have not torn down and fixed on her .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

customsawyer

I have spare fuses in my truck but you would have to drive by the Newnan office to get to me so I'm not much help. It always shocks me the things on a Woodmizer that you can pick up local and the things you can't.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Joanie, I had an electrical problem on my LT 40 before. Michael E. from WM Indy walked me through the whole process. I even took picture, downloaded them and emailed them to him.

This made it so easy for him and me to be on the same page, and to be looking at the same wires... :)

He stayed on the phone with me, as we looked at the pics together, and I traced the wiring problem right down to a bad sensor. He over night shipped my part, I installed it the next say by lunch and saw dust was flying once again.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

Yup, them motors are very similar if not the same as a ford starter motor. I have repaired several for local sawyers. Most of the time, the seal in the pump wears out and leaks hydraulic oil into the motor, just gums up everything. Sometimes the brushes just wear out. Take it to a local automotive starter/generator shop...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Slingshot

Quote:
  3 Am I wrong in thinking that look a whole lot like an older model ford starter.

No, you are not wrong. I was told that the hyd motor on the earlier WoodMizers
  is the same motor used on the 1950's  Ford starters. Find one and you have a spare.

________________________---
Charles   sling_shot

Delawhere Jack

Hope your head feels better soon.

Joanie

Thank you all. it's supposed to rain tomorow so off to the starter shop I go. After a good nap and pain killers, migrain gone. 8)
Lt40hd 24hp Onan, Husky 359 that runs when it wants to, Polan Wood Shark at the mill,starts every time, 1994 Jeep YJ.

MartyParsons

Hello,
I am not aware of any Ford Starter that looks like that on the drive end.  I even looked at some replacement electric motors that would fit but the motors had bushings not bearings on the Arm. I don't think the bushings would last.  The starter Rebuild shop ordered them in for me but I asked him to return them.  He can get brushes and most owners just get them rebuilt.  WM does have new motors to fit the pumps.
The most common issue with the pumps is when you reinstall the motor the drive is not in phase and it breaks the pump.  I guess I am warning you to be careful. Please do not tighten the motor up with a wrench until you are sure the motor end is in phase with the pump drive.
Hope this helps.
The fuses are available through WM and some electrical supply have them.  Newer mills use the buss fuses which seem to be better.  Another story.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Bibbyman

Often times the fuses burn up because of crud build up and corrosion around the studs and contact nuts.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Joanie

Update.... Well the starter guy tested the armetur(sp) and it is shot. so $120 to rebuild that one, or get a new 1 with 4 fields, what ever that is( he said the old 1 has 2), for $140. he said the new one will last alot longer, but it's 2 inches longer. So I guess it's plasma cutting time, then fab up a box around it. He had the fuses too, I got 4 for $8.00. should be up and running again on tuesday.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Have FAITH!  ;D

Magicman

Plus that was a super good price on the fuses.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

Joanie, I just had my two starter pumps motors rebrushed. WMZ no longer carries these parts and following their suggestions, I went to a local shop. 38 bucks for a set to do both motors, 45 bucks labor, and I am running.  The 225 amp fuses might be found outside wmz, but I just keep extras in case. buy some belts, or other needed replacement parts and save on shipping. Corrosion is a killer on electrical connections. just keep things clean and tight and these things run good.  Have a good week end, and glad to hear someone  is getting the rain!
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

woodyone.john

after blowing the 225 amp fuse twice lifting to heavier logs i now use about 4 strands of 2.5 mm standard house wiring. i have blown that too but i now carry a couple of feet of wire in my tool box.wm fuses here are quite expensive. cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: woodyone.john on August 19, 2012, 05:15:39 AM
after blowing the 225 amp fuse twice lifting to heavier logs i now use about 4 strands of 2.5 mm standard house wiring. i have blown that too but i now carry a couple of feet of wire in my tool box.wm fuses here are quite expensive. cheers john

Funny you should say that, mine has wire in there insted of a proper fuse as well.
After having a very bad experiance lately with wiring and lack of proper fusing however I think I will be reverting back to the standard fuses.

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Joanie

Has anyone ever switched to the regular buss fuses that you can get at any hardware?

Magicman

WM sells a kit to convert over to standard fuses.  Seems like it was about $100, so I just stayed with the originals.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 19, 2012, 07:08:48 PM
WM sells a kit to convert over to standard fuses.  Seems like it was about $100, so I just stayed with the originals.

$pend some of that MAGIC MONEY.

Joanie

I was thinking about a disconect from lowes that holds those types of fuses. When the mill is not in use flip it off and put a lock on it. Itwould be hard to move the mill with the head waight on the tounge and the loader down.

Thank You Sponsors!