iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hoses in the tube.

Started by paul case, August 15, 2012, 11:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

No way is it hard to change those hoses. I just put a string on the old hose and pull it out, leave the string in the tube to pull the new one in with.

I changed the one that runs the turner/ backstops since I could see a pinhole in it at the valve. $58. Still it was loosing oil and needed more in a few logs. I saw a pinhole come in the pressure hose on the clamp so I changed it. $62. Still loosing hyd fluid in the tube but no holes showing up on the  outside so I guess I will change the out/down hoses on the turner and clamp. That will be another $120. If thats not it i will most likely change the other 4 hoses, I guess, and at least they will be all new all at once?

Kinda a bad deal.

Anyone else had to hunt to find a leaker on a LT40hd?

PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

JustinW_NZ

I just replaced the two on the clamp and one on the loader arm.
agree with the undo and pull through, it wasnt that hard at all.

One thing though is that my Hydraulic guy making me new leads said the factory leads are way weaker than the 1 or 2 wire hose he was making for me.
The new ones did seem a lot more chunky but fitted just the same.

The reason i was having to replace some of the factory plasticy ones was that someone had miss treated the mill before i got it and clear bent the hose at 90degrees basicly stuffing it, this didnt seem very flash, so i didnt have to hunt for a mist of oil.

Ive had to help someone hunt a pressue leak on something else before, they did one trick with a dark room and a torch, the torch light showed a fine mist spray and made it easy to track.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

hackberry jake

From here on out I am going to get all my hoses from surplus center. On longer hoses they are $2 a foot or less and they come with fittings on each side. I am just going to stock up on national pipe thread to whatever adapters. The cheapest hose I have found locally is over $4 a foot an their fittings are pricy as well.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

bandmiller2

Years ago when I ran an old backhoe I'd keep a 50' roll of hose in the truck with replacable fittings,after the oil bath I'd just make up a new one. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

I have wire showing on several hoses, so maybe when I slow down, I had better replace them.  Slow down !!!  ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Ha! When do you slow down, Magic?
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

;D I don't know how because I do not have anything to compare with.  The sawmill smiley_sweat_drop and the sun smiley_sun whipped three brothers yesterday and the oldest was 64.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 16, 2012, 12:23:07 PM
;D I don't know how because I do not have anything to compare with.  The sawmill smiley_sweat_drop and the sun smiley_sun whipped three brothers yesterday and the oldest was 64.

You're to hard on people Magic....but wait a minute........ say_what.......were they the SWEET GUM BROTHERS?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

No 'cause I liked them.   :D

Slabs

Quote from: paul case on August 15, 2012, 11:33:38 PM
No way is it hard to change those hoses. I just put a string on the old hose and pull it out, leave the string in the tube to pull the new one in with.

Another possibility is to get a gas or plumbing double-male coupler and screw the new hose to the old one and pull through.  Somewhat stronger connection.

Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

paul case

Well that is an option if you have the new hose. I took my hose to town to have a new one made. A lil more difficult. :-\

Still not fixed.
I have changed 3 hoses so far and it still runs out of fluid on the 4th or 5th log. At least there is only 5 more hoses in the tube. PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

Brucer

I had this happen about 3 years ago. In the spring I started running low on hydraulic fluid, and then I noticed a bit of it leaking out the side of the tube. There's a square hole on the side of the tube about 2/3 of the way along -- it's for an optional contact strip at the back of the mill.

Wipe down the side of the tube to get the oil off, then test the valves one at a time. Hold the lever up (or down) and keep it there and let the relief valve whine away. Then check the hole to see if any fluid has started leaking out.

Pulling that last hose was a problem. I've done it before using the string trick but this time the hose ran underneath one of the lower mounting bolts for the outriggers. When I tried to pull the hose through it kept hanging up at that point. I eventually removed the two bolts, pulled the hose through, and then reinserted the bolts.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Chuck White

Quote from: Brucer on August 17, 2012, 12:46:13 AM
I had this happen about 3 years ago. In the spring I started running low on hydraulic fluid, and then I noticed a bit of it leaking out the side of the tube. There's a square hole on the side of the tube about 2/3 of the way along -- it's for an optional contact strip at the back of the mill.

Wipe down the side of the tube to get the oil off, then test the valves one at a time. Hold the lever up (or down) and keep it there and let the relief valve whine away. Then check the hole to see if any fluid has started leaking out.

Pulling that last hose was a problem. I've done it before using the string trick but this time the hose ran underneath one of the lower mounting bolts for the outriggers. When I tried to pull the hose through it kept hanging up at that point. I eventually removed the two bolts, pulled the hose through, and then reinserted the bolts.

Good tip there Brucer.

I'll try to store that in my thinker!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peder McElroy

Replaced the log loader hose last week , with the rope tied to the old line to pull the new one in,worked well.Although it would be good with two people to feed and pull. Hose was $110.00.
Peder

paul case

Well after I changed 5 hoses that go through the tube (all were bad) I discovered that I had A leak on the outside of the tube. I hadn't done much of a job of housekeeping so most of the mill was covered up with bark so much that the outriggers, loader, and axle were not visible. So I pulled her out of the muck( sawdust and bark) and cleaned up and put it back last night before I quit. The muck filled my 300 bushel grain truck full. I found the other 2 leakers were the hoses between the backstop cylinder and the turner cylinder.
I changed them and now I don't want to jinx it but I have sawed 8 logs and NOT had to ad hydraulic oil.  8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

finally!  PC
pc

Magicman

I hope none of mine start leaking because I have a couple of serious road trip jobs scheduled.  I guess that I should be pulling and replacing the rusty ones.   :-\

paul case

The hoses on my mill seem to all be the same, I was figuring original equipment. They weren't ''rusty'' but they failed inside and made a blister on the outside then it popped. Visual inspection showed nothing untill pressure hits it and it sprays. PC
pc

terrifictimbersllc

I've pulled hoses through by using a coupler fitting.  A good wrapping of duct tape with old and new butted end to end without a fitting works well too. Now I carry spare 3/8 and 1/4 hoses in the longest size on my mill plus two of the shortest ones too.  They're only in the $30-45 range each.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

paul case

I actually looked in the book and found the length for the last 3 hoses and I knew the number for the ends since they are all the same on my mill. I tied them together with a little baling wire and then duct tape to keep the ends butted together and pulled them through. Worked well. PC
pc

drobertson

pc, I have had to change the clamp hose due to excessive build up, it broke on the release as I was opening the clamp,  I ordered a factory replacement, when it came in I went to the our auto parts and picked up a nipple to screw in each hose, existing and new, threaded the nipple in each, light wrap of electical tape, cut the wire ties in the hyd.box, and pulled the new one thru. at the same time as picking up the nipple I had a spare made, 100 bucks, have not used it, but down time is a killer, always at the wrong time.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!