iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Battle of the bandmills

Started by Thehardway, August 15, 2012, 09:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

I need to ask for a bit of forgiveness, I did not mean that WMZ is the best, but I feel like it is for me.  I have the single blade edger and for the most part, do not use it.  When I cut out ties, and roll the logs, most of the flitches are the same size. I edge on the mill and the log is done. For the most part whether it is one inch or two inch, the drop to take off the bark is pretty typical. and the ease of the taperd mill frame allows me to pull the boards without too much strain. I am backwards, at least a few ole timers have said, but my custormers are happy and I am too. I have seen some pretty good Bakers running, and was impressed. The Logmaster was a brute, but really suited for a two man operation.  I appreiciate an offbearer, and really make ground, but this is not always feasible. The decision on which mill to run is really determined by the end goal. The WMZ LT-40 super just makes my operation what it is, a humble mill with a quality product in a timely time frame. Easy to clean, maintain, and move when required.  I love sawmilling! but that said, I love to cut steel too!  Maybe WMZ could build some milling machines and lathes for us die hard tool makers. lol  They could call them metal muchers. I don't know just rambling now.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 16, 2012, 01:28:04 AM
For me one of the most important features is the frame rigidity. This is because I hate having to constantly tweak the adjusters to straighten it out. I had that problem on the Turner, and my cousin had it on his Thomas.

That is one of the few complaints I have with my Turner. The feet slip sometimes when you're moving a big log around on it, or if somebody bumps it with a skidsteer. It looks like he puts screw type trailer jacks on them now. I would do the same if I was keeping the mill.

redbeard

One thing to consider on wanting a wider throat is when milling the max. Width your blades have to be sharp with lots of set. The further your guides are apart, blade control can be a issue especially knots.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

hackberry jake

If I remember correctly, didn't ez boardwalk have the highest quality lumber as far as dimensions with the fewest boards that got rejected in the shoot out? I think we all know who makes the best mill (insert picture of something blue for poston)  8)
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

sdunston

One sure thing,They all saw,Some just have a few more options..............just saying.
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Okrafarmer

Quote from: sdunston on August 18, 2012, 07:46:22 AM
One sure thing,They all saw,Some just have a few more options..............just saying.

And let's not forget the operator factor. . . . .
:-X
Ducking. . . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Hilltop366

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 18, 2012, 04:08:23 AM
If I remember correctly, didn't ez boardwalk have the highest quality lumber as far as dimensions with the fewest boards that got rejected in the shoot out? I think we all know who makes the best mill (insert picture of something blue for poston)  8)

How about a Blueberry (that is a quarter under it)

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thanks HILLTOP.....I love BLUEBERRIES!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

hackberry jake

Poston, do you love blueberries more than oranges?  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hackberry jake on August 18, 2012, 09:13:51 PM

No, I love Oranges better.......but to comment on Hilltop's picture, when I first looked at it, I thought it was an antique door knob.  :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dan_Shade

What is your production expectation?

Is the mill for hobby, for a business, are you going to do portable work?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ladylake

There are a lot of high quality good cutting mills out there.  HP at least 35hp gas  or 30 hp diesel(if your going to saw a LOT get the diesel) for a 1-1/4 band, guides I like 3"  (turn slower) with a flange on the back set 3/16 behind the blade, toe boards are a must, chain turner is a must, claw turners work but not near as good as a chain turner. For good production computer setworks is a must. Clamp, go hydraulic, my screw type works OK but doesn't have a lot of power and is not the fastest, the hydraulic clamps are way better..  And most important go watch some mills cut for at least a half day.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

JVK

If you're going to build the ultimate mill, I would measure the distance between the guide rollers at full open of an LT40 and make yours a bit wider. That is the only complaint I have of my new LT50. The logs I have are just a little to big and I have to spend a lot of time carving to get that outside roller to clear. 3" would be huge!

Dan_Shade

JVK, do you know the trick of laying down the backstops and scooting the dog left to give you more room on the right side of the mill?
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

JVK

Hey Dan, I learned that very trick right here on the ff. It's a good one. I cut mainly Red Cedar and they are a bit flairy toward the butt.

Okrafarmer

That must be some honking big red cedar.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

dboyt

Quote from: JVK on August 18, 2012, 11:23:31 PM
If you're going to build the ultimate mill, I would measure the distance between the guide rollers at full open of an LT40 and make yours a bit wider. That is the only complaint I have of my new LT50. The logs I have are just a little to big and I have to spend a lot of time carving to get that outside roller to clear. 3" would be huge!

If you're like me, adding 3" to the throat just means you'll be bringing in bigger logs that still won't fit.  I've pulled the ceramic guides off my Norwood mill a few times to get just a few more inches.  Big saw with a long bar will take care out of those flaired butts (well the ones on the logs, anyway).
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

wormy

i have an older modle lt 40 and the only real thing i would change on it would be the log turner. it has the claw type turner that sometimes lifts the log over the stops. i ran a cooks mill with the chain turner and liked it much better.but dont get me wrong i wouldnt trade mills i think the wm is the best all around built saw and i looked at many saws when i was in the market.

Hilltop366

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 18, 2012, 05:10:43 PM
Thanks HILLTOP.....I love BLUEBERRIES!

Your welcome.
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on August 18, 2012, 09:29:10 PM
Quote from: hackberry jake on August 18, 2012, 09:13:51 PM

No, I love Oranges better.......but to comment on Hilltop's picture, when I first looked at it, I thought it was an antique door knob.  :D :D :D :D :D

It is a cultivated high bush blueberry that was grown in the lot next to me.

I tell people that we grow the blueberries so big that you have to spit out the seeds.

Hilltop366

Sorry to get off track thehardway, but I did want you to thank you for starting this thread, I am always looking for mill build ideas myself and am trying to soak up all the info and ideas from the forum in the meantime.

What I have noticed is that a lot of the complaints and breakdowns once a mill is cutting straight is about electrical issues with controls and accessories.

Hilltop

drobertson

I have never had the chance to run one of wmz's newer chain rolling log rollers. And to say the claw is my best friend, I think everyone that has one has done their share of mumbling. the trick is to use the clamp, with the claw, and make sure the weight of the log is balanced on the bed. This makes a big difference.  this is why the double pump is critical. The speed could be quicker, but they are quick enough to get the log rolled.  I just like WMZ  it is low, managable, and very smooth and accurate.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!