iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ms290

Started by trapper, August 14, 2012, 10:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper

Had a mason tuck point my house stone foundation.  He is going through a breakup in his relationship.  During our conversation  he is trying to clear out his storage unit.  He offered me a ms290 for 80$  after i paid him for his work we went to his storage unit and I looked at it.  After a bit of trying it started.  The on off and choke lever was not working properly.  The bar is burned from misuse.  Took it home and after a bit of looking I got the switch in position.  Started it and it was so dull I had a hard time cutting bass wood.  Sharpened it and it cut better. After new gas and running a bit it apears to run good.  My only question is how long has stihl been using the flippy caps?  It has them as does my new ms250.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Mooseherder

That is a great deal.  I don't know how long the caps have been around but I have a ms280 and it is a great saw.  You can replace the bar and chain reasonably.  I sure wouldn't pass it up.

Ga. bow-man

Put a new 18 or 20 bar and chain on it and call it stolen.

Al_Smith

Well they are a popular saw and for it's intended usage which is a casual firewood cutter they do just fine .However in professional usage as attested by the remains of several in a box in my shed they can't cut the mustard .---Buuuut ,treat  it right you'll do okay . :)

I think the flippy caps are pretty much standard with any model with Ms and three numbers --Ms 200T,290  ,440 ,660 etc as oppossed to 020T ,029 ,044, 066 etc .

Thank You Sponsors!