iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Demostrating at the Wilson County fair once again.

Started by just_sawing, August 14, 2012, 09:20:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

just_sawing

I bring my LT70 to the Wilson County Fair Tn every year. Last year I Built a Coffin Killed a Rattlesnake fried and ate it at the fair.
The weather is going to be great so it ought to be fun.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

drobertson

I have to ask, was any other mill there? This takes allot of guts.  I hate to show the mill, mainly cause it seems to simple, just a bit greedy on my part I guess. I hope you pick up some work from your show, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Ga Mtn Man

How do you go about lining up a demonstration at events like that?
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

JustinW_NZ

yes, am interested as well, do you get many leads from this type of event?

cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

bandmiller2

I have never set up my mill at a show but for many years was the offbearer for a fella that did.Hard to say how much work you pick up probibly a couple of jobs a day,have some business cards available.The fairgrounds always supplied the logs and kept the lumber for their own use,even the slabs to burn.You really meet some interesting blokes,and answer alot of foolish questions.All in all its an enjoyable day and they would even feed us. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

just_sawing

I started downing this Fair probably 15 years ago. I am set up in the area that caters to antique village. They have kind of grandfathered me in since I am there for the whole fair 9 days. I give out cards and such with many customers wait for the fair to bring me logs since this is 35 miles closer to them.
The main reason that I do this is when a Child looked at his father and stated "I thought boards came from Walmart" We discussed it and decided to take off and just show the kids where lumber do came from.
It is refreshing to let a little 4 year old pull the levers and cut a board. I then will give the board to the dad with instructions on building a bird house. There are always an offer of leaving the board until they leave but often we will see the board over a shoulder going through the fair with the child not being in willing to part with it.
As far as getting to demonstrate just ask. It is a lot of trouble where I shut down my business basically for three weeks to make it happen. I treat it as a vacation where I can stop and talk to people instead of trying to make production.
I also have to mention that it is nice to have a Woodmizer as a Mill. The company sends me a Fair Package which gives me something to give away. I put stickers on there Lumber Scales and people come each year to get a new one. That is also other millers that don't have Woodmizers.
You can follow me at
www.http://haneyfamilysawmill.com

Bill Gaiche

just_sawing, good to hear from you. Its been a while sence I have seen you on here. I visited your demo a couple of years ago and enjoyed your demo and and other things like the bow and arrow building exhibit. I am sure that there are people who will gain some knowlege from your demo. We may never know what impact it will have on others, but it has to be good. Thanks for your time to do this. Good luck, I know it will be a great fair for all. bg

Sixacresand

Kinda makes me want to drive up to Tennessee and go to the fair.  I never ate snake but like boiled peanuts. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

thecfarm

Never would of thought that some don't know where lumber comes from. I take the country-farm life for granted. Sounds like you have fun. Keep it that way.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Its allways fun at the fair, I do it too

:D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Lookin4lunkers

Quote from: just_sawing on August 15, 2012, 08:49:40 AM
I started downing this Fair probably 15 years ago. I am set up in the area that caters to antique village. They have kind of grandfathered me in since I am there for the whole fair 9 days. I give out cards and such with many customers wait for the fair to bring me logs since this is 35 miles closer to them.
The main reason that I do this is when a Child looked at his father and stated "I thought boards came from Walmart" We discussed it and decided to take off and just show the kids where lumber do came from.
It is refreshing to let a little 4 year old pull the levers and cut a board. I then will give the board to the dad with instructions on building a bird house. There are always an offer of leaving the board until they leave but often we will see the board over a shoulder going through the fair with the child not being in willing to part with it.
As far as getting to demonstrate just ask. It is a lot of trouble where I shut down my business basically for three weeks to make it happen. I treat it as a vacation where I can stop and talk to people instead of trying to make production.
I also have to mention that it is nice to have a Woodmizer as a Mill. The company sends me a Fair Package which gives me something to give away. I put stickers on there Lumber Scales and people come each year to get a new one. That is also other millers that don't have Woodmizers.

I can just picture those little guys lookin up at that board over their fathers shoulder, still in amazement at how it came to be and dreaming about what it will be.  I hope my little guy gets to meet lots of folks like you in his most impressionable years.
Life is about the journey, not the destination

Thank You Sponsors!