Started by brendonv, August 14, 2012, 05:04:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

What do you think, in cords?  2.5-3?

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

SwampDonkey

2.5 at the most. I'm thinking a bit under, but more than 2. I assume the trailer is 6' wide.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

I am not going against SD on this.  Before I saw his reply i said "not more than 3."  I think it's closer to 2 than three.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

brendonv

Trailer length 15' deck,  taller stakes are 4', trailer 7.5' wide.  Load extends about 3' off end.

I've got another row to stack on back still.

www.VorioTree.com

SwampDonkey

Well that changes things. Then I would say you have not quite 3.5 cords. You put that extra row on and your gonna have 3.5 cords.

I don't know what the point of guessing is. If its for sale, it better be what you say it is. ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

brendonv

Sometimes I wish the loader had a seat up top, I can't see over the first pile.   :D

It will match up with the front row.

I'm going for 3 cord +/-.

www.VorioTree.com

SwampDonkey

I think you've loaded it a few times. :D :D

brendonv

What'd ya mean, does it look beat?

I bought it as is.  I really haven't used it much due to not having my CDL.  Now I'm all set.  I plan on rebuilding the outer rail with something stronger, pith poor factory design.  Other than that the boom is used but still works perfectly.

www.VorioTree.com

SwampDonkey

No, not beat up. You're thinking too hard.  ::) I mean you probably loaded that trailer a few times so you have a much better feel than any of us about the amount of wood you have on it. ;)

brendonv

Haha, ok   :D

I've played with numbers many of times to try to figure out how much she holds.  I never went from log to split to stacked too see how much it panned out to be.  I need to loose some wood so I'm selling "approx 3 cord" loads. 

www.VorioTree.com

gunman63

Im thinking a little over weight, anit cha?

brendonv

Trailer has 10k payload.  Ya, probably over a tad.

www.VorioTree.com

NWP

2-2 1/4.  Put three on it and you'll start eating tires.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thecfarm

A very nice trailer you have there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

T Welsh

brendonv, 2¼ to2½ maybe pole wood in bunks or on a trailer is deceiving. We had a customer that bought a 3 cord load from us one time and proceeded to cut split and stack his wood and then called and complained that he got ripped off because he only got 2½ cords out of it. we explained to him that this is a calculated guess not an exact measurement. We sent him a refund check for the difference to shut him up and make him go away :D. We now say when that truck delivers that the truck is full and the dimensions are 8x6x16 and that the logs are to the top of the bunks but not over. We have a lot of township DOT safety wantabe,s looking for revenue in our area. Be careful how you load your trailer in the future, They would have a field day with the way you have your trailer loaded in the picture. Tim

ahlkey

I have a small log trailer (18 ft length by 8ft) and transport a lot of logs.  Last year I sold just under 100 cords of firewood logs. The best way to be more accurate on cords is put it on the scale and weigh it. Based on the way you have it stacked I would agree its over 2 cords but likely not more than 2.5 full cords. Remember depending on species a full cord can get as high as 5,000 lbs green (check out toolbox).  If your trailer has a payload of 10,000 lbs then  pushing 3 cords would be risky on that small trailer.  Is your trailer/loader then rated at 14K gvwr? 

AvT

For unstacked split firewood I use 180 cubic feet per cord which works out pretty close after it is stacked.  Looking at your load I would estimate like you did at it being between 2.5 - 3 cord
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

stumper

I have to aggree with Gunman63.  It looks like you are overloaded and then some.  Quick numbers would be a trailer weight of 3,000 and a payload of 10,000 .  I beleive this is way over a bumper pull with weight distribution for a 1 ton Dodge and may be close or over as a gooseneck depending on your motor and transmision.

brendonv

Luckily it's a Ford, a Dodge would be scared I bet.   :D  Thats a 15,000 GVW trailer, trucks running a 7.3 diesel and a 6 speed stick, 4x4.  I've got a scale down the street, just have to see if they'd weigh me one day.

Thanks Cfarm, I'm happy I got the trailer.  Needs some work, but works perfectly as is.

I sold the load as 2.5 cord  +/-.

This is the first one I sold.  Just trying to unload some over stock from the tree business, and get a piece of my yard back.

www.VorioTree.com

stumper

I think that will exceed the capacity of a ford for a bumper pull (with weight distribution) as well and if memory serves the allowable trailer weight for a gooseneck or a fifth wheel.  Modern ford could do it but I do not think the older Fords can.

brendonv

www.VorioTree.com

mikey517

Quote from: brendonv on August 16, 2012, 06:35:54 PM

I sold the load as 2.5 cord  +/-.

This is the first one I sold.  Just trying to unload some over stock from the tree business, and get a piece of my yard back.

If I can ask, what did you charge for the load? I bought a similar looking load from a guy here in North Jersey and it stacked out to a shade under 3 cord.

fenceman

brendonv is Parma the manufacturer ?  I would love to find a trailer like that

fenceman

brendonv....I searched for it and found it at Bailey's...thanks anyway

brendonv

Sorry I missed you post.  But baileys does sell them, now they are labeled JMS.  I probably wouldn't buy another boom from them.  If I needed an important part it is very difficult to communicate with Canada where it was made.  I'd look for a different boom manufacturer.

www.VorioTree.com

fenceman

brendonv,  since I saw your trailer I've been looking at the options.....Blue Ox, Metavic, .....Bailey's price is the most economical that I can see.....but I'm worried about the "big one" I can't pick up.  Plus, I usually try to get "used" when possible....they're hard to find.  Bailey's has a model that will do 3,000 lbs......Blue Ox has one that will pick up 4,100 lbs I believe.  What sort of problems have you encountered with the boom?  I'm sure you've discovered the lifting limit....
   I saw a used Blue Ox from a post 1 year ago that was $35,000.  Forestry Forum post showed a used Metavic for $20,000....so the Bailey model is, from what I've found, the most affordable

thecfarm

fenceman,it will never be big enough.  :D  We hauled out a big pine with the tractor. The guy came to haul a load of logs for us and he could not put that big one on top of the load. We got there the next day to find it on the other side of the road. We thought at first he could not get it on his truck. He had to load it first. When I had my land logged they had to load some of the big pine by putting it on the end of the forwarder and kinda sliding it onto the bunks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

brendonv

Nothings ever big enough!

I like the trailer, overall.  I do residential tree care, and it's the cats a-- for what I do with it.  Mine was used, and needs some modifications to make it better suited for what I do.  Only thing I've done to it boom wise was replace seals in the cylinders.  I didn't like that it had no hydro filter so I plumbed one in.  Finding out what fittings went on it were like pulling teeth, but I got it done.  The upper boom does not have a equalizing valve, so if you have a log in the grapple and lower the boom, it cannot pump enough fluid to fill the other side so sometimes if you lower to fast you have to wait for it to fill with fluid.  It needs one of those valves so that it only will move as fast as the other side is filling up.  The name for that escapes me right now.  The bushings are a little sloppy, but I bet I can cross reference new ones if I cared enough.

It lifts most of my logs as they come out of back yards in short sections.  I try to cut everything 9' to get even firewood, or in +6" increments if I want something milled.  9 6", 12 6"...whatever.  Luckily for what I do I just make another cut if it doesn't lift.

I gave 10k for it, and would pay more if I had too.  Fits my niche nicely.

www.VorioTree.com

Peter Drouin

Hi brendonv nice trailer I have ben looking for one too. new one is 25k good for you to get one for 10k.sometimes I get a call from tree care guys that have 2 or 3 logs of cherry or wallnut that they want to sell and I can;t send a 10 w so a trailer like would be nice. good luck with your work and have fun :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

brendonv

Hauled this from a tree job around my girlfriends parents pool.  Load is 18 long, 7 wide, between 3.5 and 4 feet tall.  All nice and straight.  What ya think this time, 2+?

www.VorioTree.com

timberlinetree

Nice set up! Wish we had one :)
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

brendonv

Thanks, i love it.  If people can look beyond the initial 'high' price of them, they would soon realize its worth twice what you pay for it.  Luckily this one i found this one used.  Competition is always breaking there neck when i roll by.  They are still hand loading firewood rounds.   :)

I ended up measuring out the lengths on the back per log.  120 cubic feet of solid wood.  I would say with more being on front, that load would cut and split out to a bit more than two cord.  Ive read that when dealing with log form, 100 cubic feet of solid wood will measure out to one cord split and stacked.  Not sure how true that is, and when i get to cutting firewood for the house i will be sure to measure and report back.

www.VorioTree.com

Ford_man

3 Cord will weigh between 13500-14000 lbs that is what I haul on my trailer and have weighed it several times. splitwood_smiley

SwampDonkey

Brendon we've used that conversion up here for decades for pulpwood. In my area 8 foot pulp is the same as firewood on price, can go to a mill or someone's stove. Some areas charge more for the log length firewood than pulp price, but not where I live because there's all kinds of firewood to be had. Now further south like PA they have found that there's 85-90 ft3 of solid wood in a cord. But I think that's a loosely tossed cord, not stacked. By weight, we used 2.5 metric tonne per cord for hard maple, beech, yellow birch (green). There are a lot of fellas that take pride in their firewood piles. It will be stacked as tight as can be and the pile as square and straight as can be to.  Me, I just get it done and care less how it looks. ;)

Migal

:D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cord_(unit)
It is what it Is!  8)
Key word 128 Cubic feet. No mater how you slice it or stack it lol
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

GAB

According to my now deceased lawyer neighbor when you stack wood it should be loose enough for the chipmunks and the squirrels to be able to get through, but tight enough that the cat can't.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

woodmills1

cut split a few and you will soon find out it is always less than you thought

It take a lot of straight long stuff to make a cut split cord

but then agan, call it 3 cord at 80, or 4 cord at 60, it is still $240 :P
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

woodmills1

but 3 or 3.5 at $100 is, :-X wow lets go out to dinner
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!