iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodshed Wnt to buy but have to build

Started by Logging logginglogging, August 14, 2012, 08:15:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Logging logginglogging

So we always used the metal carports u get at walmart made by panther creek / OD Funk MFG. Well I went to wallmart this weekend and they said they dont sell them anymore. Where else can I get a Pre-fabed pipe frame tin roof carport at a good price in my area? If I cant fine one I will need to build one, wich for me would be cheaper however it would cost me a lot of time I dont have. I live way up in Northern VT on the canadian border.

isawlogs

Haven<t seen one of those in a long time , they are all tarp now...  Where  abouts on the border are you , I am just over the border on the Quebec side a few miles from North-Troy Vt
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Logging logginglogging

Yeah I am right next to Stansted / Derby Line. Yeah I like the Tin roofs better because they are more of like a small building and I can store things in it safly with locked doors when i dont have wood in it. Usually when we used them brfore we would buy some extra tim and put tin on the sides, and frame and tin the ends and just have doors in the front.
I really want to get one like my fathers ones, but I just cant find any.

thecfarm

I drive by one here in Maine where they sell them. It will fit 2 cars and the steel roofing is on the wrong way for the snow to slide off,but that's the way it's made. I forgot the price,$1600? One of my friends had one for years. I have no idea the name of it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logging logginglogging

yeah, we had single car ones...and they were great, the snow slid off just fine. There were tipically about 1000.00 but noone in norther VT id selling them... anone know where I could order one?.... Shipping ould have to be free or cheap tho.

metalspinner

It seems we have those metal carport places on every highway around here.  Last year I bought an 18' x 20' and also purchased an "upgrade" kit that allowed the roof metal to be oriented the right way - up and down.  It also gave the building a bit more rigidity. I have it stacked to the top with wood.

Eventually, I will put a garage door on each end.

Here you can see the horizontal support strips under the roof.  The top joints where everything comes togetehr was also part of the "upgrade". I think the structure was about 1400 which included erection.

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

thecfarm

I will be driving by next Monday to get the dog groomed. Want me to stop and get a phone # for you?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DouginUtah

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

WmFritz

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

DouginUtah

I am referring to the 1400. A steel frame building 18' x 20' including labor to set it up?

I am just finishing a 10'x 20' storage shed without paying anything for labor and I am into it for just over $1800. 
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

metalspinner

That's the number in my head.  I'll have to dig for the paperwork. Maybe it should be 2400.  Somewhere between 1400 and 2400. ::) :D

After they put up the building, I sided it with pine board and batton.  This helped considerably with racking.

brendonv

Do you have an outside pic?   I bet it looks nice!

They are very reasonably prices, for just the frames.  Like you do, I would add b+b and it would look great.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

mrwood

Check out Americansteelinc.com. I got a 18x21 with roof and two side for 1200 delivers and installed. I put the back wall on myself as they wanted $500 to do it. And then the front wall has my boiler nosed in and the rest of the opening I make a wood stack then in the spring I use that wood and then I have an open front again to reload the building with wood. I wouldn't trade it for anything. I am pretty sure they have service all over
The country however prices do vary depending on state I beleive.

brendonv

Happy with the quality of those ones?

I was going to get a cover-it shelter for a truck or two, but these seem like a better long term option.

www.VorioTree.com

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

muddstopper

I cant believe the prices youall are quoteing. Around here you can get a single carport delivered and setup for around $600. Sides and ends do cost extra, but it takes 4 extra sheets of roofing to complete the sides and at $1.50 a running foot, (1'x3'), it still isnt anywhere close to the $1400 or $2400 price tags every body is quoteing.

metalspinner

muddstopper,
Yes, the $600 banner is waving outside on their roadfront, but by the time you add all the extras you want, you easily double that number.

A couple things I added... longer legs for an 8' height, vertical roof kit, extra bracing.  I can't remember what else, but the price kept getting inflated.

I'll snap another couple of pics today and getthem posted.

muddstopper

Addons do add up. I will suggest that keeping an eye on craiglist is a great place to buy a carport cheap. I got a 14x19, 6ft sides, for free. I bought a 20 x40 barn, center section has 12ft high door and 2 side sheds 12wideX 8 high, for $2000. Of course I had to tear down and move, but battery powered drills and a couple of extra hands and it isnt that hard to do. Be sure to bring a sharpy to number the metal sheets before you take down makes putting back up a breeze.

Logging logginglogging

I guess Ill probally just build one....
I might even start framing it this weekend.

brendonv

Metalspinner..

Is there a possibility of getting an outside picture of your storage shed, with the B+B?

www.VorioTree.com

Logging logginglogging

brendonv

Go to Shelterlogic.com

They are a local company for me.  I have one of their shelters for a truck.  They sell different grades of shelters.  Never had an issue wit mine.  You can get thicker pipes, colors, tarp thickness, and many, many different styles.

www.VorioTree.com

mrwood

I have the exact one you are looking at. I'll tell you my experience is that it does the job. It is good but not great. They don't last forever. The tarp will start to rip due to it moving against the rails. However if it is possible you should wait to buy it untill black Friday. They will put it on sale for 279.

Logging logginglogging

isent black friday in the winter?
I ended up getting one and putting it up, I started stacking the wood in it last night. Alittle afraid if a stack falls it will destroy the thing. Neverthe less when the canvas does begin to rip I cover the whole thin in Tin.

mrwood

I guess you can say black Friday is in the winter. Day afte thanksgiving. My brother uses one for wood. Not sure how long your pieces are cut because he stacks 4ft pieces but as long as you cross stack on the ends then stacks are not going anywhere

Thank You Sponsors!