iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cedar Logs on loan

Started by JVK, August 13, 2012, 07:51:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JVK

Heading out the door a while back, the phone rings and the insurance broker wants to know if I would be able to help in the salvage of a prawn boat that turned over off Cape Beale when the overloaded cargo shifted and rolled over. Five crew on board, all fine. I broke open a Cedar bundle, picked out two of the biggest logs, hooked onto the work float and headed out to the site which was 3 hours away. It would be a falling tide when I arrived, so we had to work fast. A salvage tug had towed the prawn boat from where it grinding away on the rocks to a more protected bay and tied it to shore.

I've not done this before, but my thinking was to tie a log to each side of the boat to keep it from spinning like a fishing lure on the 35 mile tow to the shipyard in Port Alberni. Well it worked great. Pretty much pats on the back all around. Used the work float to put all the prawn fishing line and traps onto.

This boat was built in the late 50s. Wood hull with an aluminum deck and wheelhouse. Had a huge hole in the starboard side so it could not be pumped out. The shipyard used one of the logs to keep it stable as they were hauling it out. All the metal went for scrap and an excavator crunched the wood and into the grinder. Kind of sad really. It was a nice boat.

There is more to the story, but I have to go. More pics of how it relates to milling later.

mikeb1079

that's pretty cool.  never know what your gonna turn logs into!   :D :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Delawhere Jack

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

dgdrls

JVK,

welcome aboard,  great story, sad ending though.
look forward to hearing more.

Best DGDrls

Magicman

Good thinking and a wonderful story.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Vancouver Island? Island living is some different than where I am.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JVK

The biggest of the two Cedars made it back home. The other one got lost in the shuffle somehow. I bought these logs a couple years ago from Western Forest, the main forest company around here. An off highway logging truck was on route to the dryland sort with the whole load on fire. They asked me if I wanted to buy the logs at a reduced price and I said yes. Some logs were burnt bad but most had only a bit of surface burn.

So anyway, up to the Mighy Mite this log goes. Rotten center is common with Red Cedar, but some good wood on the outside.

Magicman

:o  4½ feet across is a big log.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Makes that skidder look kinda small.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

JVK

I like to break down some of the big logs on the Mighty Mite with the best side down, then over to the bandmill to slice up some wide edge grain. Bandmills really shine here.

This log made some of the finest straight grain lumber you'll see. The log story is over but the raised panel exterior doors, counter tops and other projects that will come from this will last a lifetime. Had fun doing this, hope to hear about some of your log stories.  Jim

JustinW_NZ

very nice wood and operation!

cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

Norm

Really cool story, thank you for telling it for us.

thecfarm

That wood sure does look pretty and clear too.

LOGDOG

Great thread, great story, great pictures. This is what it's all about.

customsawyer

I love those biguns. Nice log and operation.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

dgdrls

JVK,

This is a great story that I shared with fellows at work.
Question came up,  how much does a cedar log that size cost?

DGDrls

haywire woodlot

That was back in May when the Jessie G sank wasn't it? I recall a friend of mine with Transport Canada got a weekend call about it while we were hanging out.
Dave

JVK

I'm only guessing, but if you were to buy this log featured in the story from Western Forest or a broker, it would cost 2 - 3000 dollars. It cost me about $1,200 because of the bit of burn that you can see in the pics. I do not buy big clear sawlogs of this high quality very often. The demand for this high grade cedar is not huge where I live. This log was 41' long and allmost 5' at the big end. 

Yes, it was the Jesse G. Second day of prawn season and all the hopes and dreams really went sideways for these guys.

isawlogs

Really cool story, too bad about the outcome of the boat.  :-\ But man was that lumber pretty looking.  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

terrifictimbersllc

Nice story.  Guessing logs keep many of us "afloat" in one way or another! 8)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

logboy

I spend my summers competing as a log roller (lumberjack sports) and I have taken to lathe turning the logs with my Lucas sawmill and a lathe set up that I made.  All of them are Western Red Cedar, not easy (or cheap) to come by here in the Midwest.   My 63 year old father has learned that my log rolling logs come in mighty handy in the spring when its time to put the docks and pontoon lift in the lake.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!