iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatzit

Started by pasbuild, August 13, 2012, 01:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pasbuild

My neighbor who is retired with nothing better to do went to an auction recently and picked up several box lots just because, I was able to identify most of his junk but had no idea what this thing is, got any ideas?

If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

Fla._Deadheader

That is for a Haybine or similar grass-Hay cutter. The sickle bar passes through it and rides on the bottom inside for the shearing action.  Can't remember the proper name.  ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tcsmpsi

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on August 13, 2012, 01:52:41 PM

That is for a Haybine or similar grass-Hay cutter. The sickle bar passes through it and rides on the bottom inside for the shearing action.  Can't remember the proper name.  ::)

Thingamajig.    You're welcome.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sandhills

Sickle guard, left sides tweeked a bit, must have hit a rock  ;D.

Chuck White

No doubt, sickle bar guard!

Off of a haybine or a regular sickle bar mower!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

pasbuild

Thanks guys now I'll go and impress my neighbor with my knowledge  ;D
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

thurlow

Certainly it's a (double) guard, but I'm not sure how one can tell .........'thout running the numbers........that's it's off a mower;  could just as easily be off of a combine or anything else that uses a sickle-type knife.
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Cypressstump

It's a Doomaflachee
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Carlton

Iwould deffinately say its off of a sickle bar mower, they use to use them alot in the hayfields in our area and actually I think Orcheln farm and home store still carries parts for them.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Make a lamp out of it.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

Finger. My sickle bar uses the single ones. I have no idea what that one came off from. Painted red,faded,IH maybe?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Woodchuck53

My dad always referred to them as "Gander points" Have installed a many of them before we got the rotary hay cutters. I have a bucket of them some place that color and double set from a Case 960 4 row combine.  Must be in the same place I put that bucket of RR spikes for the harrow I can't find.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

sandhills

Ok, well I thought I had a new whatzit for you all but after putting up close up pictures in my original post (which I managed to delete while previewing) I think I know what it is now, but to be sure I'm going to post it anyway, it definitely was one of those "duh" moments  ::).  Lets see who has some answers and as a hint it probably should have went in a different board.  I looked at this thing for a long time before it slapped me in the face  :-\.

You'd think after playing with it for a long time it wouldn't take a picture to figure it out  ::)

Okrafarmer

A plum-pitter?  ???
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

LOGDOG

sandhills

A few more hints before bed, notice the narrow slot below the punch, and the different angle on the back semi circle of the handle, sorry, forgot to mention the little tab in the handle on the back, behind the punch, is dished on the bottom (although I did in the initial post I deleted, and that's my disclaimer  ;D).  I'm still waiting for conformation but am 99% sure of what it is now, and this only took me somewhere around 12 years to figure out  ::).

SwampDonkey

Those "guards" are on combines to. Could be off an old Massey.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sandhills

First off I'd like to apologize to pasbuild, wasn't trying to highjack your thread I thought this was the "whatsit" thread.  The tool I posted, as far as I can tell anyway is used to push the primers out of spent shotgun shells with the punch and the tab behind it with the dished top would insert the new one  ???  Anybody with a better idea please respond, we tried it with a twelve gauge shell it was a little to small so I'm thinking ten gauge, but it all lines up perfect.

Migal

you got me on the second one but the first I used first hand Think Sickle Bar Mower and yep they weren't always only on a New Idea but if it had saw teeth and was to used to cut hay/wheat/oat's/Thistle's yea I CAP'd that one we used em  ;D
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

Chuck White

It doesn't look like a shotshell reloader to me!

Doesn't look like the punch would fit through the primer hole and it surely isn't long enough!

Just sayin'!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ely

whats the name on the side of the tool.?

sandhills

We can't read the writing on the side of the tool, Chuck we tried it and the punch does line up with the primer and forgot to mention it's also threaded so you can set it at different depths.  All I had to try was 12 gauge, I'm about 99% sure that is what it is  ???

beenthere

Interesting.
How about a pic or two with how you think it works including a shotgun shell...granted you think it is for a 10 ga.?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!