iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Methods for building with green wood

Started by grweldon, August 13, 2012, 01:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

I don't know if this is the proper place to post, but I'm looking for web sites with information on techniques of building with green wood.  I'd appreciate any links y'all might have...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Jim_Rogers

Building what?

We build timber frames all the time with green wood.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

grweldon

Yes, I understand that.  I'm speaking of green dimensional lumber.  I'm sorry, I should have specified.  As much as I'd like to build a timber frame, at this point in time I don't have the log resources nor the ability to handle timbers.  I'll have a difficult enough time trying to handle a green 2 x 8 x 12'!

I'll be building an addition to my house, 16 x 24...  It won't be heated initially, just a place to put all my junk so I can finish the main part of the house.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

ely

the quicker you get it framed and covered from the sun the less it will move.

use nails, it will break screws when it cures out.

Jim_Rogers

I have zero experience building houses with green sticks.

I don't have any links to help you either, that I can think of.

Green wood is going to shrink a lot when it does dry out. You're going to have a lot of moisture in the house as it does dry out.
You may need to secure each piece more then regular framing to hold it straight in place while drying.

You may need to put a dehumidifier in there to suck the moisture out of the air so that it doesn't condensate on fixtures inside the house when things get cool at night.

Good luck with your project.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

thecfarm

More questions, kinda sounds like a shed? Not a place to live in? I have only built out buildings. I'm in the process of building a veggie shack as we speak. It will be all enclosed, windows and all and heat too. I started it in May, so it is drying all ready. I don't plan on putting the siding on it until next spring and than I will use some house wrap than on the outside. Just boards on it for now. I have some roofing boards that have been drying since April. I would not want to put green boards down and than shingle over them.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bushhog920

it only takes a month or two for it to dry on stickers here in AL I would do that first. expect alot of mold of you enclose it green.

clusterbuster75

You gotta understand the way wood shrinks. It wont shrink much in length. It shrinks different depending on the grain.  some 2x8's may shrink to 1 7/8 x  7 1/4 and others to 1 11/16 x 7 3/4(it may shrink more/less depending on species) Don't plan on hanging sheet rock on it.  Built two buildings out of green oak.  One 2x6 studs with purchased(i.e. dry) trusses and batten board siding,  the other 6x6 posts with 2x8 rafters and corregated tin siding.  Would do it again.
8)
stihl 046, Cat 416b , JD 5520 N

Thank You Sponsors!