iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I need to build a building

Started by Jeff, August 13, 2012, 01:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I need to build something to use for storage and also some sort of workshop space. I'd also like it to serve as a pavilion of sorts.  I have thousands of cedar trees available and a bunch of dead larch. The larch as it turns out, is not in very good condition. We sawed a bunch of it up this spring, but the way it died, and the way the bark fell off of it while standing, almost all of it is checked horribly.

Any ideas on construction? I love the look of peeled cedar poles, so it would be great if I could build with round wood, but I don't want a log cabin barn. More of some sort of pole construction?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Woodchuck53

Morning Jeff. When I was a kid I helped dad and papa frame up a pole barn with peeled pine. Headers, rafters and even the laths for the tin. Of course later when I was older I under stood that was all papa could afford. It's still standing and holds all the hay and two stables for a cousins horses. From the yard you would never know there isn't much milled lumber in it. About 30x40 I would guess with a lean to loafing shed added on.
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Jim_Rogers

When someone comes to me with a need, we begin by deciding on the size.
A floor plan.
What are the dimension you want?

How high does the ceiling need to be inside?

What shape roof do you want? Gable? Shed? Gambrel?

Do you want a loft? for storage?
If so what will you be storing up there? light stuff or heavy stuff like lumber?

You said a pavilion. Does that mean all four sides have no walls?
If not then where are the walls? all the way around or on two or three sides?

Let's get your ideas out of your head and down on paper, so we can all look at it and make it for what you need.

Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

LOGDOG

Jeff,

Have you heard of Ben Law and his round wood timber framing? I really like the look of his buildings. Very nostalgic. Also did the cordwood style of building which cedar is perfect for and you may even be able to use that larch that's checked up. Better that it's checked and dry before doing cordwood construction so the voids can be filled during the building process and the shrinkage away from the mortar and chinking is minimized. A combination of the two methods could even be employed. I have friends up in WI that built using the cordwood method and their homes are awesome. It's like walking into a different era.

I know you love links ...  :) ... so here's a few for you....

http://www.undercurrents.org/benlaw.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH2V6VUhz1M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elF7W_kKi4E

thecfarm

Jeff,I suppose you have cut some of your cedar? Most if not all of mine are rotted on the butts. Have to cut at least 4 feet off. On the bigger stuff it can be 8 feet. But with 1000's,I guess you will have enough. Will peel better next spring too.We all need buildings.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chilterns

Hi Jeff,

Re your shaken larch - I wonder if this might be a good candidate for splitting rather than sawing to produce useable timber since if a heart check is present then you will only now have to split half a tree along its length.

LogDog,

If you like Ben Law's buildings then check out Dave Elliot's blog at :-

http://swanbarnfarm.wordpress.com/

where you can follow the entire process from tree felling through to a completed cruck type building that employs sweet chestnut (38 years old), larch & dougals fir (50 years old) for the main structural components.

Chilterns

LOGDOG

Thanks for that link Chilterns. Got it bookmarked. I'll check it out. And welcome to the Forum by the way... :)

Jeff

Its not shake, its checks. from the outside to the inside. Shake is a separation of the grain, the checks go across the grain.  If I get up there this weekend, I'll try and get photos.   thecfarm, my cedar is sound, at least for the most part. We cut a few down to make supports for Burlkraft's porch a couple years ago, and they were all sound.

sprucebunny

My first questions would be : how long do you expect it to last and what are you thinking about for a foundation ???

I'm fond of not taxxable. Pole barns or minimal pads. I built a travel trailer roof by burying Pressure treated 4x4s as far as I could with an auger on a tractor, cutting them off even at around 24", sill/plate and then 4x4 again, 2x4 or 2x6 stiffners from ground to 6'. It's Tall; 12' walls and 12/12 pitch and has survived several winters.

After the foundation, the techniques you used to make a bed would work well... saw some flat spots and screw it together  ;D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jeff

Honestly, I don't care if it last past me, long as it looks good until then.  :D   We have great ground to build on here, so I'm thinking pilings and wood floor.  for the main structure, Tammy wants a loft with plenty of storage for seasonal stuff (Lots of totes),  I want to use as many natural materials I can get from my land as possible to save money. I have plenty of windtrown cedar that would never make lumber, but sure could make shingles.

Brad_bb

Remember that a lot of moisture comes up from the ground which leads to rust, mold , mildew etc.  If it's a workshop, you definitely want to protect your stuff.  If it's sealed well you can run a dehumidifier too.  I like concrete, and after it's cured for 6 months, you can seal it properly, paint it, epoxy it, whatever.  You could even put a wood floor over it once sealed. 

Will you be putting it where your current shed is that the tent was attached to at the pig roast?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Jeff

Yup. moving the shed. I'm putting up one of those garage in a box round top shelters to move the stove in the little barn into until I get it moved. Chet is coming down this fall to take out several big oaks that are near the site.

Our place is on a gravel pit. The original land tract was purchased for that purpose, only to find that the gravel vein was only 7 feet deep, so it was subdivided for homes. You can run a hose on the ground full blast all day long and never get a puddle. Any top soil here was hauled in.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on August 13, 2012, 08:03:41 AM
When someone comes to me with a need, we begin by deciding on the size.
A floor plan.
What are the dimension you want?

How high does the ceiling need to be inside?

What shape roof do you want? Gable? Shed? Gambrel?

Do you want a loft? for storage?
If so what will you be storing up there? light stuff or heavy stuff like lumber?

You said a pavilion. Does that mean all four sides have no walls?
If not then where are the walls? all the way around or on two or three sides?

Let's get your ideas out of your head and down on paper, so we can all look at it and make it for what you need.

Jim Rogers

Any ideas yet?

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jeff

Still formulating that Jim. Once I get this other building moved, it will be much easier to visualize the space and determine the size we want to go with.

submarinesailor

Go big or stand at home.... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bruce

Jeff

There is a green limiting factor. :)

SwampDonkey

Just don't build bigger than the house, you might have to charge rent. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

With your creativity, I know that it will be unique and exceptional.  Building it with as much natural material from your property will be awesome, not that I am trying to be suggestive  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4speed

Jeff,
This is a church that a friend of mine built on his property. It is built entirely with ERC. I realize it may be a little larger than what you may need, but he built it in a pole barn style. If I recall correctly, he removed the bark from the cedar posts with a pressure washer. 

beenthere

Looks great, and I think that is just the size Jeff had in mind.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

LeeB

I think that's a size we all have in mind. Too bad reality steps in.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

This past week I started the process.  We got one of those Garage in a box jobs to put up to temporarily store the stuff we are taking out of the existing storage barn, so I can move that barn to a new location, in preparation for a building site for a new building.

Can anyone tell me, how in the world can you take the stuff out of a 10 by 12 barn, and have it almost completely fill a 12  by 20 area?  I look in there and can't believe all of that stuff just came out of that small barn.

Now here is my plan for moving the old barn to a new location. Okay, I ain't got a plan. ;D   I'm goona wing it. :)

nas

Quote from: Jeff on August 20, 2012, 07:52:54 PM
Now here is my plan for moving the old barn to a new location. Okay, I ain't got a plan. ;D   I'm goona wing it. :)
Hey.... That's the Canehjun way :D
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

WDH

I knew that there was a bunch of stuff in the Woodshed, just not that much stuff  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DouginUtah

Let me sneak in here while talking about building a storage shed...

^ Prepping the base for the slab

^ Forms set for the pour (3.75 cu. yd.)

^ Slab poured with anchor bolts placed. (-1  :) )

^ Four wall erected 

^ Double top plate

^ Rafters in place and blocked

^ Door in place and building painted

^ Just some touch up painting left to do 

^ Architectural shingles on the roof

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Thank You Sponsors!