iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This will be an easy one for you tree guys...

Started by Ga Mtn Man, August 11, 2012, 09:39:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga Mtn Man

Is it some kind of maple ???  Doesn't look like the other maples I have.  Located in N. GA. Mountains.

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

JohnW

That must be Sycamore, the leaf, the scalely bark, and the white bark.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ga Mtn Man

No, I'm pretty sure it's "some kind of maple"... ::) :-[

Thanks guys.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnW

Hey ga_mtn_man.  You might look for the seeds if you have any doubt, some type of maple or sycamore.  Sycamore has sycamore balls, usually a little smaller than a ping pong ball.  They're smooth and brown, and actually composed of white fuzz.  If all the fuzz is gone, I think what's left is sort of a sharp horny structure.  And all the maple trees that I know of have seeds with a flat wing where the whole thing would be a inch or so long, which varies by species.

I say sycamore balls are smooth, but they're not smooth like an apple, they're more smooth like sand paper, if that makes any sense.

Ga Mtn Man

Thanks, John.

Please note the embarrassed eye-roll in my previous response. ;D

JohnW

Hey ga_mtn_man, thanks.  I do appreciate a good joke, but I can be pretty slow sometimes.

Ga Mtn Man

No worries.  Those little "smileys" don't always convey the meaning you intend.  And since we're friends, you can call me GMM. :)

Okrafarmer

He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Ga Mtn Man

WDH

GMM,

You took a nice picture, in focus, of the leaf in profile and with the bark in the background. 

Many people post a blurry pic of a tree from 50 feet away and want to know what it is.  I get it right 100% of the time......"A blurry pic of a tree from 50 feet away".  :)

You did good, GMM
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

John Mc

Sycamore is also alternate-leaved, where Maple is opposite.  Your first photo shows the alternate structure nicely.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WDH

The stipular scars also completely encircle the twig  :).

Ga Mtn Man

Oh, come on now.  The picture isn't that good.  ::)

WDH

You are right.  I used my imagination a little  ;D.  I have been there before.

Thank You Sponsors!