iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What do you tow your LT40 with?

Started by Delawhere Jack, August 08, 2012, 06:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delawhere Jack

I luvs my Jeep Cherokee, but I'd be asking for trouble trying to pull a 4,500 lb mill around with it. Under engined, not enough brakes, too short a wheelbase etc.

I live in an area right on the border between the foothills of the mountains of PA and the flatlands of Delmarva/South Jersey. The highest point in DE is only about 400' elevation, so it's not like I'll be towing it up any mountains.

I've been looking at the towing specs for 10-20 year old Ford and Chevy pickups, but thought I'd seek some advice here. Is a 5.0L V8 sufficient to pull an LT40? I guess what I'd like to know is what I should consider the minimum displacement to pull one without straining it too much. What do you use?

Please don't suggest a 12L twin turbo Cummins diesel with aftermarket ignition, dual 10" "stacks" and a 40" lift kit. I'll just ignore you.. ;D

John_Haylow

Hi Jack,
I tow my LT40HDG28 with a 2011 chev 4x4 with the 4.8L v8 and the tow package. No problems at all.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

rmack

There are some youtube videos of a guy in europe somewhere with an lt80. I haven't been able to find the videos for some time, and it's too bad because it is a pleasure to watch him run that thing...

anyways, he uses a toyota or nissan to pull it.

stock 93 cummins works good for mine.  8)
the foundation for a successful life is being able to recognize what to least expect the most... (anonymous)

Welder Bob
2012 LT40HDSD35 Yanmar Diesel Triple
1972 Patrick AR-5
Massey Ferguson GC2410TLB Diesel Triple
Belsaw Boat Anchor

tyb525

How about a stock 1st or 2nd generation 3/4 or 1 ton Dodge Cummins, they are pretty easy to come by, and yes you can find one that some kid hasn't butchered by putting huge stacks in the bed, or kits under the hood! (Although I will admit I am a fan ;))

Seriously, a diesel will get you better fuel mileage compared to gas when pulling a load, especially on the highway.

A Gasser would do fine also, but I would try and get a 3/4 ton with tow package at the least, they have bigger brakes for towing. How well you can stop the mill is much more important than how fast you can pull it!

Any brand will do you well as long as you take care of it (and it's previous owners took care of it). Just stick with 3/4 ton or heavier.

I have seen people pulling heavy things like those mills with small trucks, but that is just asking for trouble.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dan_Shade

My preference for towing anything that is heavy is a 3/4 ton or larger pickup.  You get good brakes and a heavy duty suspension.   You can run a lower gear if its lacking on power.

Got to say I'm not a fan of stacks through the bed. :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

davch00

If you are talking about a Chevy 305 I would try to stay away from them. I've have a couple of trucks with them, you can't hardly blow them up or hurt them but they are way under powered and had terrible fuel mileage.

If you are looking at mid 90's and up its hard to beat a vortec 350. they started making those in 96. And I think those are some of the best looking trucks Chevy has made.

As far as the newer all the gen III motors (4.8, 5.3, 6.0, and 8.1) seem like they are pretty good. Right now I have 04 chevy 2500 crew-cab with the 6.0 in it. Although it really like to drink gas it will pull anything you put behind and it has enough brakes it can stop pretty good too. You just have to remember the 6.0 likes high rpm's, and I think the other gen III motors do to.   

tyb525

My mom has a '98 chevy 1500 with the 305 vortec. For a small V8, it really sucks the gas, even when not pulling anything. I don't think it gets any better MPGs than the 350, but it has less power.

I agree the 90's body style of Chevy is my favorite chevy body style.

Oh, and I am pretty picky about stacks, I have seen a lot of them that I don't like. Seems I like them on 1st gen dodges, but it depends. I have sure seen a lot of them that look like crap, especially on newer trucks. Either way they are totally unnecessary, and they cover the cab in soot and anything in the bed of your truck gets covered in soot.

Anyways...back to the point.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Chuck White

I tow my LT40HDG24 with my '03 Chevy 1500 ext. cab with the 5.3 and the tow package.

I've been in some pretty steep places with it and the mill, but (knock on wood) I haven't had any problems getting around.

I am doing all of my sawing "mobile" so, every place is questionable until I get there.

As soon as I pull off the road, I shift into 4WD-Auto, unless it's real steep, then I shift into 4WD.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

woodmills1

I used to tow my 93 LT 40 HD with my 86 Toyota truck  no tundra or tacoma then just truck
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Magicman

1991 Toyota 4x4 truck, then a 2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4

And now this.  A 2012 Ford F250 FX4

It will also haul a truck camper to the Pig Roast.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2012, 08:38:10 PM

It will also haul a truck camper to the Pig Roast.   :)

But with a full belly coming home, the gas milage wasn't as good. :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

T Welsh

F-350 power stroke diesel dump truck. Tim

terrifictimbersllc

F350 4x4 7.3L PSD, 16-18 mpg towing.  It's usually in charge of the sawmill.

p.s. Once in a while when its treads are full of mud it is not in charge.  I had a Chevy pull it and the mill out of a yard once.  Quite embarassing good there were no pix.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Full Circle

2006 F250 standard cab, automatic, 4X4 with 3.73 rear. 5.4 liter gas (which is about 350 cubic inches)
Pulling LT40 hydraulic.

Does fine, but RPMs get a bit high for my liking up and down hills (using tow/haul).  No redline on tachometer to 6000 RPMS, though.

I really liked my '94 F250 with the 7.3 turbo diesel, auto and 4.10 rears.  That truck pulled hills like the mill wasn't even there.
-Roy

fullcirclefarmandforest.com

Delawhere Jack

Thanks guys, pretty much what I thought. Heavy springs/brakes, tall rear end.

I've been a little concerned about investing a lot of money into this venture, but lately I've found that the work out there. If I keep my costs down I might actually make a living milling! ;D

I HATES being in DEBT! >:(

Dave VH

if you can at all pull it off, you can't beat a diesel.  I don't tow my mill, but I regularly tow 8 - 10K lbs and can get up to 14mpg doing it, 18-20mpg empty in my duramax 3/4 ton.  If you take care of it, you can get a lot more miles out of a diesel than a gasser too.  I've still got both my diesel and a half ton gasser, I love my 12 year old diesel.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

Magicman

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on August 08, 2012, 06:10:39 PM
Is a 5.0L V8 sufficient to pull an LT40? 

Back to your original question.....Yes.  It will pull it very nicely.  The only thing that I would personally have trouble with big time, is not having 4 wheel drive.  My LT40SH weighs about 4K lbs, but it has trailer brakes so none of my previous trucks had any problem handling the sawmill.

My upgrade to a ¾ ton truck had nothing to do with the sawmill.  It was for additional load carrying capacity when traveling with the truck camper.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

NMFP

I have pulled my LT40 with a 95 and 96 ford ranger 4x4, a 99 explorer and a 2004 ford f-150 with 5.4 triton.  I also have a 1990 ford super duty that pulls it like its not even there.  All of the vehicles pull them well, but a little more power doesnt hurt.  As long as you have trailer brakes that are working and you are within the weight limit of the vehicle pulling it, I think its a personal preference for sure.  A month or so ago I was in Virginia on Rt 13 and I saw a guy with a 3500 dodge diesel pulling a towable Norwood.  That, I think is overkill. 

If you are at it full time, a bigger truck is needed but if you are a casual sawyer and only travel a few times a year, go with what will work within your budget and will work for daily commuting.  I always have to laugh at the guys that buy a big diesel pickup to pull a camper 1 week a year!  Not real economical as a daily driver and only really work it one week a year for vacations. 

YellowHammer

I use a Chevy 2500 diesel, no problems.  There is always a chance to get stuck when off pavement doing on site sawing, so for me 4wd is a must.  Not only will it get you home, but the last impression you don't want to leave with your customer is a couple deep, muddy tire ruts in their yard when you leave.  Better to just ease it into 4wd and gently putt putt off their property. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

barbender

I've got a 3500 Dodge 4x4 with a Cummins, but not because I tow the mill. A half ton pick up should be completely sufficient to tow an LT40 so long as you have trailer brakes. Even one of the 4.3 V6 powered Chevy pickups would do it, you'd just be in lower gear more often. It kind of just depend on your patience level.
Too many irons in the fire

Brucer

4500 pounds seems high for an LT40. I towed my 3600 pound LT40 hydraulic with a 1980 half-ton 2WD chevy diesel. That's the *%^# engine they cobbled together from an Olds gas engine. The truck was only rated to tow 2000 pounds, so I "upgraded" it.

1) Extra transmission radiator in series with the existing tranny radiator.
2) Auxiliary rear springs.
3) Electric brakes on the mill.
4) In the winter, 400 pounds of concrete blocks clamped in a steel frame and bolted to the very back of the box.

This is mountain country. Home is 3000' above sea level and you can't go anywhere from here without going up 2000' or down 1500'. Was the truck underpowered? Yes. Did it get me and the mill there? Yes.

Now that I don't move the mill anymore, I've got a 2001 F150 4x4 with a V8 gas engine -- but only because the Chevy died :(.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Woodey

I tow with my 1985 CJ 7 Jeep or my 1/2 ton Truck.
The gear ratio has a lot to do with the towing performance.
They both work well for me.
WOODMIZER LT40HDD34CAT w/accuset
JLG SKYTRAK 6036 Telescopic Forklift
NYLE L200 KILN
BAKER M412 MOULDER

leroy in kansas

I tow with an 04, 3500 duramax. 4x4 this is a bit of overkill on the saw mill but I also use it to pull trailers loaded with all sorts of "stuff".

Delawhere Jack

Quote from: Brucer on August 09, 2012, 12:12:13 AM
4500 pounds seems high for an LT40.

You're right. I checked the specs at the WM site again, 3,900 for an LT40H, 4,200 for a Super Hyd. Not sure where I saw the 4,500lb spec.

Mills before 97 may be  little lighter, as I understand WM beefed up the frame in 97.

If it's under 4,000, maybe the Jeep will pull it. The Jeeps are rated at 5k towing when equipt with hd radiator and an aux. trans cooler.

I could always put on a gray wig and some of those oldster wrap around - over the glasses sunglasses as I poke along at 45mph in the slow lane........ ;D

customsawyer

Just think about pulling a 4500lb boat. The mills pull so easy that it isn't that big of a deal. Of course I use 3/4 ton or larger trucks but that is what I own. Needless to say they work. I think it has been over 20 years since I owned a half ton so I don't know how they do.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!