iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lombardy Poplar

Started by Qweaver, August 06, 2012, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I'm not familiar with this tree. Lombardy Poplar.  Is this a good saw log?  The standing tree looks like it will make a good saw log. ?
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

I'm beginning to think that the tree that we are looking at is not a Lombardy Poplar.  These trees have fairy large trunks @ 20" dia. and not a lot of taper up to about 18'
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

OK, this definately not a Lombardy.  But I still don't know what it is.

Okrafarmer

Tupelo, maybe? the smooth edges of the leaf look wavy like the tupelo or black gum, aka sour gum and other names.

Do you have a picture of the whole tree?

Lombardy pop's are very distinctive looking in overall profile. The trunk is very tall and straight, with small limbs coming off and angling upward in tufts. The limbs never get too far away from the trunk. My grandmother had an enormous one at her house in Oregon, and it was cut down in the 1980's. It was over 6 ft. dbh and more than 100 ft. tall.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Qweaver

These 5 trees are being felled today and the tree service will bring them to me if I want them.  I hate to have to deal with them if they are not good saw logs.  I already have too much junk wood laying around.

Okrafarmer

Straight sound logs are never junk wood, especially if they are free. Tupelo is beautiful wood and cuts easier than tulip poplar. A bandsaw mill leaves a planer-smooth finish. If it's something else, I don't know what it is.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Qweaver

With tree book in hand, I looked at the trees again and the best guess is a Green Hawthorn.  All of these trees are dying and the tops are bare of leaves but the trunks are still green.  I guess that I should saw one and see what we get.

Okrafarmer

Well I'm pretty certain it's not Lombardy poplar, based on all the ones I've ever seen. The bark resembles tulip poplar, but the leaves rule that out. Wonder how come no foresters / dendrologists have weighed in yet?

Ianab

Leaves look about right for Balsam Poplar.

There are also a lot of hybrid poplars, and the Chinese species as well, and hybrids of those....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 07, 2012, 11:52:02 AM
Wonder how come no foresters / dendrologists have weighed in yet?

We're all just getting back from the Pig Roast ;D

It's definitely a true poplar (Populus) of some sort, but it is not Lombardy polar. The wood will be relatively light, soft, and cream-colored. It may be worth sawing if you need some utility lumber, but it's not going to be anything terribly valuable. I would saw them because I am always in need of non-valuable lumber. I seem to have way too much cherry, walnut, cedar, and oak laying around and never enough pine and poplar :'(
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

west penn

My guess would be a hybrid poplar just because the way the roots are exposed. most that I have sen have the roots near or on the surface.

shelbycharger400

it definately would make good trim boards. cant go wrong with free.

Weezer

Sorry, late to the party.........  Quaking Aspen.....My parents had 2 of them in front of their house 'till a storm took them both right out of the ground. Those shallow roots ain't much anchor.

Jim

Okrafarmer

Welcome to the forum, Weezer! What state or province do you live in?

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    Weezer.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Weezer

Thanks Guys,
        I'm down here in the South end of Jersey. Please don't hold it against me, I know nothing of those "Shore" people!

thecfarm

Weezer,welcome to the forum. I don't know those "shore" people either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Weezer on September 01, 2012, 09:48:41 PM
Thanks Guys,
        I'm down here in the South end of Jersey. Please don't hold it against me, I know nothing of those "Shore" people!

Well, at least you are in NJ's better end!  ;) We won't hold it against you.

Thank You Sponsors!