iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to cut 40" Sugar Maple????

Started by Back40x2, March 09, 2004, 05:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back40x2

Relatively new to the game of sawing, and this website, but I am learning quick.  I was fortunate to start my sawyers quest with about 8,000bf of cherry from my grandparents land(free of charge).  I am using a TK 1600 and love it.  My problem is I have obtained a 40" small end Maple log 10' long.  What would be the most profitable way to saw for selling??  Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, MaineCherry
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

woodbeard

First of all, Welcome! :)
Second, I wouldn't mind having a problem like that :D
Hard to say. I guess it wont fit on your mill as is?
Not sure quartering it is the way to go either, with hard maple?

Bibbyman

Welcome M.C....   40" on both ends?  Or just the butt end?  According to the specs on the 1600 on the TimberKing website,  it can handle up to 34".  Maybe by some heavy trimming, you can get the 4-poster sawhead over it.  

To get some oversized logs processed on our WM,  I've had to cut notches where the log rested on the bed rails – thus lowering it.  Also cut notches where it contacts the back supports.   This is in addition to heavy  trimming of the butt swell and any other protrusions.

ARKANSAWYER always advises to load oversize logs with the butt swell facing the sawhead.  This way you know how much to trim before you get 2/3 down the log and find out you're in a bind.

No matter what you do... keep in mind that big log is dangerous.  It's real easy to slip up and have one try to jump off the mill and get you.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Back40x2

Thanks for info, I will keep that in mind.  The log is 40" at small end, butt end is 53".  Looks perfectly clear on both ends.  I have anchorsealed the ends until I decide what to do with it.  Should I QS, Rift, or flat saw????
Thanks for info
M.C
My JD 4120 Loader/Hoe/fransgard winch, a 10,000 pound Warn winch, STIHL 460,  Timberking 1600,  Lots of logs, a shotgun, rifle, my German Shorthaired Pointers and a 4-wheel drive, is all this Maine boy needs to survive!! Oh Yeah, and my WIFE!!!!!!

Minnesota_boy

There are other brands of portable mills that are better suited to this size of log.  Were it mine, I'd be tempted to try to find one of them and have it sawed for me.  I'd hate to start carving into it to fit my mill because of the pretty wood I'd have to waste to do it.
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Back40x2

THanks, I think probably that is what I will do. I really have a good feeling about this log. Rings counted up at 177 years.  Not even a pinpoint of dark heartwood.  I am really excited about this one.
Thanks
M.C

Tom

I went and looked in the Wood Handbook which has a link on our link library.  You can get there by clicking on that wierd looking thingy between calendar and Members on the header above.   Chapter three (3-2) has a hardwood chart suggesting the grain patterns, etc., that can be expected in certain woods.  Sugar Maple reads as if flat-sawing would tend to encrease the chances of getting pretty patterns. Birds-eye and curl show in flat-sawn where-as quarter-sawn only shows curl if it exists.

AtLast

I agree with Tom....but want to add that with that size log  and the mill you have I think it would best suit you to saw the log in half thus STILL leaving you able to flat saw  but most importantly...get the log onto your mill.

smwwoody

If it is that nice ? did you think of selling it to a veneer buyer?

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

woodbeard

Might actually be too big for a veneer mill, or at least have too much taper. They prefer very straight logs. Sounds like an excellent opportunity to invest in that 120cc chainsaw with 60" bar and Alaskan sawmill we all know you've always wanted ;) Then you could neatly cut it into more managable sections, and have the biggest DanG chainsaw in the county ;D Of course, pictures WILL be required ;D

Captain

I know a Peterson owner in Orono that may be willing to help you out.  Contact me with an IM if you are interested.

Bangor is one of my favorite visits, with Peavey Mfg and NYLE so close by, can't ever get any work done.

Captain

Back40x2

Tom, AtLast, Smwwoody,Woodbeard and Captain,  Thanks for all the info, it is Greatly appreciated ;).  The log is perfectly straight, no bend what-so-ever.  As for selling for veneer, I have thought about that, but logs of this quality dont come around often.  I think I am going to be selfish on this one so I can keep a couple of the boards ;).  I'm thinking a nice new dinning room table for the wife ;D.  I dont think I will have to split the log.  I think I can just shave a little here and there.  My TK 1600 throat is 36", so I wont have to take too much off. I just didnt know which way to cut. Thought maybe if I QS'd it, that it might have the same effect as QS oak.  I will probably Make 3 - 2" cuts in the middle, take them out, flip the halves and go from there.  Does that sound Good ???

Captain, Do you get up to Maine often?  Orono is just up the street from me,  what is your friends name???

Thanks again Gents
M.C

Captain

I get to Maine a few times a month.  Should have been in Augusta today, but something else came up :(

My friend's name is Reggie Scott.  He's a meticulous engineer type (like myself) from GE.  Real good people.

Captain

Thank You Sponsors!