iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

dozer logging

Started by MICKEY108, August 06, 2012, 10:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

if u where logging with a dozer which one is better cat or deere what size thanks 4 any help

beenthere

:D :D
How many different answers do you want to that question? 

The high drive on the Cat's are a great design.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chevytaHOE5674

What does your GOOD local dealer carry? Quick parts and service are crucial when you need the machine to make money.

MICKEY108

cat is the closes dealer

John Woodworth

Cat has the stronger undercarriage but you pay for the name, you have to decide on how hard you are going to work it, general terrain conditions you'll be in and ease of maintaince. Under normal conditions JD will do you fine and a lot cheaper. Also concider Dresser as they are rated second to Cat for undercarriage and again cheaper to buy as well as operate and maintain.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

saltydog

There were many jd 350s set up for forestry with loaders on them pulling a drey.They were once pretty common around here.Still see them for sale every now and then.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

lumberjack48

I'm seen 350 or 450's set up with loader mounted on the rear end pulling a wheeled dray. Then I've seen-em use the loader like a grapple skidding tree length with it, looked like it worked good.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Okrafarmer

The 350's are terrible to work on. You have to split the track and remove the final drive just to replace the steering clutch or brake surfaces. Such routine maintenance ought to be much more accessible. I operate one-- it's down with steering problems right now. . . .

Cat crawlers-- I don't think there ever was a lemon model. Just remember when buying one used, the three most important parts are undercarriage, undercarriage, and undercarriage. I saw a Cat D-4 re-engined once with a Cadillac V-8 and automatic transmission. Never saw it run, but I'm sure it was impressive.

Stay away from JD 350, and International TD-6. Bad experiences with those models. Cat-- you can always get parts. However, the parts can be costly. We ran a 1949 D-4 for quite a while and two different mid-'50's D-6's. Other than undercarriage problems from normal wear, or breakage from previous abuse, we didn't have many issues with them.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

KyLogger

I run a 450E in my operation, it is a great machine. Large enough to do some work, small enough to maneuver around the woods, and stout enough to skid or assist the skidder. I am biased toward JD stuff but have a good bit of time on a late model D3 CAT as well, it was an awesome machine. I think the main thing to be concerned with (regardless of brand) would be the undercarriage (considering motor sounds good and tranny works as it should) you can pretty much tell how one was taken care of by its appearance. Bottom line both are good machines, parts availability is good for both depending on how old of a machine you're talking about here.

Others mileage will vary,

Tom
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

Okrafarmer

To go with what KyLogger said, I have heard that the 450 is a better machine than the 350 to work on. Having said that, the 350 is nice enough to run when it's working properly. I just hate having to work on it so much.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

saltydog

I agree 350s are ignorant to work on.I had a 310 case could change brake bands in 15 min.then i got my 350 jd. What a pain.Im glad you reminded me of that. i had to break tracks on mine 3 times in one year grrr.I loved my case i should have put a loader on it and held on to it.It was a simple reliable machine.
Proud to be a self employed logger.just me my Treefarmer forwader Ford f600 truck 2186 Jonsereds 385 and 390 husky and several 372s a couple 2171s one 2156  one stihl 066  Hudson bandmill Farquhar 56"cat powered mill.and five kids one wife.

JoeB

Gotta' go with Case, had deeres, cats and rental Lieberman (?) case easy to work on, used trans to steer, simple cummins engine. Got a beer and air and am gonna enjoy my day, Cheers!

Okrafarmer

Quote from: JoeB on August 13, 2012, 02:23:23 PM
Gotta' go with Case, had deeres, cats and rental Lieberman (?) case easy to work on, used trans to steer, simple cummins engine. Got a beer and air and am gonna enjoy my day, Cheers!

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Joe!  ;D

I believe the dozer brand you're referring to is Liebherr. That is German: "Lieb" = "Love" and "herr" = man, Mr., or gentleman. I've never used one, always wondered how they were.

Bobus2003

lumberjack48

I had a new 450 JD with a shear head in 76, i skidded with a Case out in MT. The Case was so fast and smooth to operate, fun to run.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

dr gonzo

You can get well used cat d3's for a good price,but then, the money on parts? you never know what the issues are...final drives? valve trains? hydro pumps? they're easy to work on,but the prices are gnarly...and you are paying for the name.I'd go with a good case rig...i run case loaders at work for some time,my fave...
The one beer in the fridge is just that. One beer.

Okrafarmer

What size of crawler are you thinking of? Are you going to be skidding redwoods or alders?

Thank You Sponsors!