iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Finished the trailer for my LT-15

Started by Clean Image, August 06, 2012, 10:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clean Image

Finally found the time to get this project done! It was getting to the point I almost forgot there was a saw mill attached to the top of this thing and it was supposed to be cutting lumber! My hats off to you guys that build your own mills and do some of the mods you do...i thought of a few other things I would like to add but I really want to get to the building of the house part of life, not trailers.
It was a fun project and I really appreciate all the input and experience shared by all...thank you!

A few details:
- I am glad I went with the 14" wheels...very stable and pulls great.
- LED lights give me plenty of working light, found a remote switch on Ebay for $20 that lets me turn them on from the cab of the truck...very handy when backing up ay night.
- Hung the ramps and winch arm on the side opposite the engine to help balance some of the weight. Painted anything I might hit with a blade or leave behind yellow so I can see it with my tired old eyes  :-[
- Rollers on the stops are galvanized washers welded to a bolt that runs through the stop...drilled and tapped a zert on the back so I can add grease as needed.
- I think WM wanted around $160 for some type of metal piece to lower the controls down...I fabbed one out of solid 1" steel that at least brought the feed and push bar down. Since I am fairly tall I can live with the up/down wheel staying where it is.
- SS covers on the bed rails and upgraded clamps help with some of the manual operations...as a note, I haven't been that impressed with the new clamp design as they tend to lift your cant off of the bed rails. I think this has been discussed before here and WM tells me they are aware of the issue too. 

And to make sure after all this it really cut wood...my first sawdust! I didn't bother putting it on stickers cause there was only about 4bf total  :D

I did manage a few more afterward though...

Sixacresand

Very nice looking setup.  I will definitely refer to your photos if and when I put My LT-10 on wheels. 
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

b dukes

Very nice setup indeed! Looks like you put alot of work and thought into it. I am in the process of building a base for mine , but after seeing this , I think I will go ahead and make mine into a trailer also. Can you post some closer pics of you log winch setup. How wide is you axle and at what measurement on the track is the center of the axle?

YellowHammer

Yes, very nice.  A good saw made better. 
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MotorSeven

Clean, very good job on the trailer pkg.

What are those wheels on the top of the backstops? Are they DIY or factory? Are they better than slipping a pvc pipe over them to keep big cant's & logs from catching them?
WoodMizer LT15 27' bed

Clean Image

Thanks for the input Guys...

b dukes...unfortunately the mill is 800 miles away at the moment and I looked through my photos for some detail shots but came up empty. I did manage to capture a still out of a short video, hopefully that helps.

The winch is a 4500lb ATV unit with a battery mounted in the front tool box. It's hooked up to a small solar charger to help keep it ready for use. I fabricated the arm with a round tube that slides into a square tube, mounted under the trailer. This allows me to use the winch and then rotate it down out of the way until needed again. I also have a tractor with a FEL so the winch will be used as needed but not when I'm looking for a bit more production.

Used 3500lb axle/spindle components...the manufacturer specifies the maximum distance from your springs/frame to your hub face. I went with the widest I could so as to have the widest stance.

Springs/axle where centered so that approximately 60% of the trailer was on the hitch.

Motor Seven...the wheels are DIY, never tried the PVC pipe method but I just wanted to make sure nothing hung up on the stops and the "manual" part of this mill wasn't over worked! 

Hope that helps, I posted a couple of pictures below and if you have any other questions don't hesitate to ask! Everything needed to build this I pretty much found here....thanks

D   

Jemclimber

Looks great, thanks for the pics. I'm planning on making my 15 mobile soon too. Hopefully sooner rather than later.
lt15

Magicman

Your entire modification package shows some very innovative ideas, including the modified flat/pry bar.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

Quote from: Magicman on August 08, 2012, 07:45:04 AM
Your entire modification package shows some very innovative ideas, including the modified flat/pry bar.   smiley_thumbsup

Actually that pry bar is factory made, we call them 'hicky' bars. I have two of them as well. You'd be surprised just how much leverage that bar can muster with the flat end curved upwards.

BTW - NICE WORK.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Meadows Miller

Gday

Awesome work you have done a very tidy job of it Mate  smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup  ;) ;D ;D 8) 8)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Clean Image

For sure the "hickey" is the go-to tool when the tractor won't fit in the warehouse with the mill and you need to lift your logs onto a pallet jack  :D
Urban milling does have it's challenges and I was determined to make some sawdust that day!

Magicman

Hopefully we can come up with the bar's name.  Googling "hickey bar" gives me a rebar bender.  ??? ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cypressstump

oppps,,, sorry Magicman, should know better to rely on my fading memory. It's a Burke Bar.

https://www.whitecap.com/products/25117615

Check it out. Stump
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Magicman

smiley_dizzy  Thankfully we don't need a memory when we can depend upon the fading memories of so many gifted FF members.   smiley_thumbsup

Thank You Sponsors!