iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just When You Thought You'd Seen Everything !

Started by DR_Buck, August 04, 2012, 01:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

;)  I have said "no charge" and then been tipped much more than I would have ever charged.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

isawlogs

To some people its all about the money  ::)  Some need that penny for there thoughts, I will gladly share it them for free   ;D

Many times have I said to a customer to leave his\her hand out of his pocket, that all I wanted was to see the  out come of the project. Many times they come to the house and show us what they have done, it makes for an interesting visite and a few have become close friends.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

cutterboy

It makes me happy to see so many kind hearts here. Good for you Ga_Mtn_Man
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ga Mtn Man

So the guy brought his logs up today from Atlanta...one 24" DIB x 2' log already quartered and two 8" thick slaps of crotch would about 30" across.  He and his buddy were excited to see the sawmill in action and I was more than happy to oblige.  We discussed his plans for the wood and decided there should be enough for one or two small end tables, so we proceeded accordingly with the sawing.

After showing him some basics on the controls, I let him have a go at it. 

The thrill of sawing your first log! 8) 

Uhm, excuse me.  Can I have my sawmill back now. ??? :D

It took us about an hour and a half to saw up his wood.  When all was done, he handed me $60 and wouldn't take no for an answer.  He was thrilled with the lumber he got, I got to show off my mill and saw a little lumber.  Not a bad morning. :)
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

JVK

drobertson

you bet! 60 miles is enough time for a good cup of coffee and a pack of fig newtons. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Delawhere Jack

I usually let the customer make a cut or two with the mill. I've never seen such a big smile though, maybe it's the hydraulics........  ;D

thecfarm

A nice ending to a story. That cant looks some small on that mill.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

YellowHammer

Sometimes there's more to owning a mill than just sawing wood.  Great job, great ending.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

Good job. He will be talking about that for a long while. This is where that word of mouth advertising comes from. ;)
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

isawlogs

You got that right, he will talk about this day for a long time and to a lot of ears.  :)  The way you treated this customer is how I see things myself, I often let young ones have a go at a board.  Those  kids grin from ear to ear.  :D  They put the board aside and dream up all kinds of project for it.
  You did a fine job out of what a lot  would of turned away with the back side of there hand, you never know,  you may have  found a dozen new customers just like him, but next time, they may have real long logs  to saw.  :P :P :P
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

redbeard

Nice job Ga mt man he looked very pleased. I enjoy the small jobs also they go along ways.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Thank You Sponsors!