iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your chance to buy a new saw with my money!!!

Started by FTD, August 03, 2012, 09:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTD

So, my 036 was stolen along with copper pipes and other items  smiley_devil_trident and now I need to replace it.  I will be cutting my own firewood (mixed northern hardwood), including dropping and skidding the trees behind ATV.  In the past with big wet popple the 036 struggled.  I also have some BIG pines I eventually want to clear.

I am looking at 440 Magnum and 441 Magnum.  They seem to be the same saw but old school (440 M) and new school (441 M).  The 440 has speed screws, the 441 is M-Tronic etc.

Which saw do I want?

OAP

That title is miss leading, I thought I was getting the new saw and you were paying. ;D
I dont know enough about Stihl to answer but would recommened a 372xp if there is a husqvarna dealer near you.

lumberjack48

I would buy the 440, but I'm old school, loved the 044 Magnum's 8)
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ed

440 or step up to the 460

For cutting wet softwoods you need to use a full skip chain. More space in between cutters to carry the chips from the cut.

Ed

ENTS

If it's a choice between 441 or 460, go with the 460 (look at the numbers, you will get more saw with the 460 (MHO)).  If it's a choice between 440 or 441 go with the 440 (IMO, the price tag STIHL has put on the 440 is ridiculous tho).  372XP is as good as the 440 but I wonder if it can keep up with the 460 (never ran the 372XP so no experience with it, just what I have read and heard).  Now I am extremely bias toward the 044/440.  I've got three of them in a box waiting to be resurrected and one new, never used 1990ish in a glass case above the mantel.  :) Soooo, I'd say get the 440.

Fred Henry,  Over Worked, Under Paid

FTD

I'm leaning towards the 440 real heavy.  It wasn't till the 460 was mentioned that I noticed the 441 was the only "**1".  I think I like speed screws better than "M-Tronic". 

I don't like my equipment to think for me.  Same with my ATV. The year after mine the manufacturer thought fuel injection and immobilizer security system was a good idea.  No hot wiring that if you loose the key in the woods!

Back to the saws, going with the 440 unless anyone can come up with a good reason not to.

JohnG28

I know the 440 has had an expensive price tag but a local dealer here has the new on shelf for $789 I believe. That's a good deal compared to other prices I've seen not long ago. Don't know about in NH but maybe you can find a deal to boot.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

clww

I got a 460 off the local CL about 3 months ago for $500. LOVE it! :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

ENTS

Quote from: JohnG28 on August 04, 2012, 02:19:07 PM
I know the 440 has had an expensive price tag but a local dealer here has the new on shelf for $789 I believe. That's a good deal compared to other prices I've seen not long ago. Don't know about in NH but maybe you can find a deal to boot.

Let me know that dealers number and I'll go get it.  8)   That's  a deal!  If only my local guy would price it at that he'd have a sale.

ENTS

Hmmm,  wait a min.  Is that power head only???  What bar is on that????

lumberjack48

I fell 20 and up to 70 cds a day of big Poplar, Pine and ect with a 034 Super, never had a power issue with it. I would by two used 44's or 46's before i'd pay that much for one new one. Theres a nice 038 Magnum II buy now 325. there a power house, thats how i'd buy-em.
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

sharkey

The issue with the electronic engine fuel systems is that theyre new and all the bugs havent been worked out yet.  The system also ties you to a dealer to have the system serviced if there are problems.  Ive heard good things from guys who use their 441c or 576at saws every day but some not so good things from folks who use them once every two weeks...

I would buy the 440.

JohnG28

Just checked, $789 with 20" b/c. If you are really interested pm me, I can get you their info. Be a long drive to pick up a saw though.  :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

tyb525

I love my 038 Magnum, not too heavy but enough power for just about anything with a 24" bar.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dave VH

I have a 440 and like it alot.  My buddy has a 460 and I love that saw.  I know that his is quite a bit newer than mine, but it just seems more responsive.
I cut it twice and it's still too short

sawguy21

Quote from: tyb525 on August 06, 2012, 03:32:45 PM
I love my 038 Magnum, not too heavy but enough power for just about anything with a 24" bar.
You a big mother :D That 038 is a brute to pack compared to the newer models. The 441works well with a 24", go with the 460 if you frequently need to run a longer bar.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Quote from: FTD on August 03, 2012, 09:45:06 AM
So, my 036 was stolen along with copper pipes and other items  smiley_devil_trident and now I need to replace it.  I will be cutting my own firewood (mixed northern hardwood), including dropping and skidding the trees behind ATV.  In the past with big wet popple the 036 struggled.  I also have some BIG pines I eventually want to clear.

I am looking at 440 Magnum and 441 Magnum.  They seem to be the same saw but old school (440 M) and new school (441 M).  The 440 has speed screws, the 441 is M-Tronic etc.

Which saw do I want?

I ran a 441 and really liked it, the ones I've experienced seem to have less vibration than the 460's....possibly a little less power but don't think you woukd notice. Both those Stihl's are awesome so you can't go wrong with any of them including the new 440.  Have to say if you are objectively at price performance you have to look at both the Husky 365 (New x-torq version)/Jred 2166 in the $600 dollar class  plus or minus a few bucks and the Husky 372XP/Jred 2172 in the $775 dollar class.

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

cuterz

Go adjustable look how well electronics work on trucks ::)

Buck

I have both 440 and 441 and the 440 is my choice.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Okrafarmer

A 440 with 30" bar is our big saw right now. We frequently bury it in oak too thick to get through in one pass. It's a bear.

Do NOT get the Husq 576XP. We had one blow up on us and it was a total loss.

I still love my MS 290 with 20" bar, it is the Suffolk Punch of work saws. . . . Maybe 3% of the people on here will know what that means. . . .  ::)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Clam77

Quote from: Okrafarmer on August 26, 2012, 12:39:55 AM
......it is the Suffolk Punch of work saws. . . . Maybe 3% of the people on here will know what that means. . . .  ::)

:D  I know what it means...
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

Okrafarmer

Glad somebody does. It sure ain't as showy as a Shire. . . .
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

rbhunter

The suffolk is quite a horse. My Grandfather had one named Dolly. He had many horses including some really good belgians but Dolly is one who stands out to me. I know what you mean.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Thank You Sponsors!