iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Swingmill blade again? Suitability

Started by Satamax, August 03, 2012, 08:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Satamax

Hi everybody.

What you guys would think for a swinger?

70cm diameter (27.5in) 18 teeths 8 scrapers. Already drilled for flush cutting.

Thanks for your help guys.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

hackberry jake

I know nothing about swing mills, but that's a unique looking blade. Never seen scrapers on a saw blade before
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tyb525

Why do you need a planer blade on a swingmill?? I've seen them on tablesaws, but for rough cut lumber??
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Satamax

Guys, that's prety much the standard type of blade you would see on a circular sawmill over here. It's not a "planer" blade, the scrapers are there just to avoid pinching when the wood has a tendency to close.
French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Mark Wentzell

This might be a stupid question, but how do the scrapers stop a saw from pinching?  ???

hackberry jake

My guess would be, they take out the material that's pinching the saw.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

leroy in kansas

Do you get a smoother cut/face with the scrapers?

Satamax

Quote from: leroy in kansas on August 04, 2012, 12:03:58 AM
Do you get a smoother cut/face with the scrapers?

I would admit i don't know.  I've seen theses around. Most of our sawmills are bandmill around here. You can find theses in gang ripsaws or edgers, but i never paid atention to the finish much. I'm doing mostly roofing, so looks of the wood is not that important. We use rough sawn timbers.  Sometimes we plane the rafters, or even purlins. But that's rare.  Otherwise, balconies, stairs, furniture, we plane everything. . So then again, no real intrest in the looks of the wood before planing.

sigidi

I have no idea about the scraper thing? what is the 'scraper'? is it in the pic?

but the 18 tooth blade- I do have input on that... you will need a massive engine to drive this through timber - or you will have to do rather small bites in all your timber to get it to cut at a functional speed. Using the Lucas 10" blade with a 30hp power head doing 4"-6" horizontal cuts means that only 2 teeth are in the cut most the time once you bring a third tooth into the cut, the cutting speed reduces greatly and also clearance of material becomes very difficult - now apply all of this to more than 3 times the amount of teeth and you now have 3 times as many teeth in the cut that need to be powered - thus more power.... also harder to keep sawdust in the blade for removal from the cut...

It looks interesting and if you go down this path would be keen to see what eventuates 'in the field'
Always willing to help - Allan

Satamax

Hi Sigidi.

Well, a scraper blade is described here.

http://www.forezienne.com/images/stories/forezienne/PDF_produits/desc-tech-circulaire.pdf

The company able to provide the blade uses 11 to 22kw electric motors on thoses blades.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WInNtaGFvIw

For the moment, everything is put on hold. As i have soo many oportunities to buy sawmills cheap, that i don't know where to turn my head!

logboy

Pardon me for suggesting the obvious, I mean no insult to your intelligence. Have you ever thought about just getting a blade for an existing swingmill like a Lucas or a Peterson?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Satamax

Quote from: logboy on August 06, 2012, 11:43:05 AM
Pardon me for suggesting the obvious, I mean no insult to your intelligence. Have you ever thought about just getting a blade for an existing swingmill like a Lucas or a Peterson?
Yep, and besides that it is dificult. It's also horibly expensive to get theses where i live. 556 dols plus shipping. When i can get thoses under 230 dols, plus they're bigger. And also, i see lots of swing mills from russia or polland being made with this type of blade. So, may be, there's not only one answer to the swingmill blade question.

logboy

If the locally available blades are already being used elsewhere on mills then I do not see why they would not work for a swingmill. Is it more cost-effective to buy a used mill locally or build your own? What is your end use of the mill? Personal use products, custom sawing, etc.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Satamax

Hi Logboy.

The pic in my first message shows a twin blade, like a mobile dimension. Pretty much the same thing as a swinger imho. I've seen russians use the same type of blade ,with more teeth than petersons's or lucas's blade; on swingmills too. Plus this blade would allow for a smidge deeper cutting than the usual suspects.

My use? Ouch. Primarily cut my own timber frame, for my workshop/house. But also, since there's a rule in the artisanal estate my build would take place in. It's also an excuse to have the most part of thye 1500~ workshop sqft compulsory to be allowed to have the house above; to be a open hangar. Which is much cheaper to build. Then again. It'm tired of roofing. I want to do more timber frame, and more stairs, more balconies etc. So having a sawmill will may be enhance that.  No more waiting for the sawyer to cut some wood for me. No more using green wood for this. I could have a little stock for balcony posts etc. Plus, if i can saw for others. I might be happier, and not go on rooves much anymore.

Here's pretty much where i'm heading.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1byLYSLJIws&feature=player_embedded

600sqft closed workshop, big doors front and back to be able to work on big timbers. A bit more than twice that of flat floors above. 1000sqft of hangar.

sigidi

Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!