iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sick ash trees

Started by oscar4749, August 02, 2012, 09:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oscar4749

I've been around awile but to this point didn't say much I have to say this site is very addicting!Now to my problem,I have 4 ash trees that looksick like this one .This was the easiest to take pictures ofThis on the edge of farm fields witch are right behind me in pictures.Iwalked to tree and seen bark was loose.I tuged on it a little and about a 6ft. piece came off.I found other loose bark also but not as bad
They claim the EAB isn't in this area yet.Just last yera they had a trap across the road from the house.Iasked if their was any in trap and the anser was they didn't find any.
I'm going to try to post pictures(hope it works
Abig thang you to everybogy for any info,on this and all the info I have gathered before.
Thank you again

i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

Jeff

I can't quite make out the holes, but the EAB leaves a definite and distinctive "D" shaped hole. If you have those, then its EAB.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

The second picture shows a slight whitening of the bark .The last picture shows the typical path the EAB larva leave .Sooooo  sad to say but you'd just as well make plans to remove the trees .

If they come down before the thing is completely dead many will respout from the roots .I'd guess about 1/3 of the ones I took out last summer have sprouts .Some were over 3 feet in diameter and 100 feet tall .

Jeff

You cannot say it is EAB by the larva tracks under the bark. Though EAB do that, so do other pests, so its not a specific indicator of infestation of EAB.

Al_Smith

Perhaps not but what else would it be to cause huge chunks of bark to fall out ?

Jeff

Ron Scott

Best to have the local Conservation District or Extension forester check the trees to be sure of an accurate diagnosis of the symtoms.
~Ron

Al_Smith

That publication was informative .Fact I've seen the aftermath of the round headed borers but they didn't kill the tree .Actually a combination of ice and wind did that little deed .

Seriously though before this EAB thing I don't recall too many ash that just gave up the ghost for no apparent reason .In this part of the country given enough time they could get rather large .

oscar4749

The holes I've seen don't apear to be "d"shaped
But I'll try to get some better pictures of holes tommrow
I have bigger and smaller trees that don't show any signs of a problem
thanks again
i don't ever want to be rich i just want $1 more than i ever want to spend (texas joe)

Al_Smith

Well that's a good thing because EAB gets them all but maybe some teeny little saplings .For some unknown reason those tiny little trees at least at last sighting have not been affected. Evidently the saplings don't contain enough inner bark to sustain the larva and the borer knows that .

Jeff

That third picture almost looks to me like an old lightning strike. That would cause the tree to be stressed, attracting bugs and disease, and also cause the bark to sheet off.

LeeB

I was thinking frost crack, but lightning could be it as well.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

oscar4749

The third picture, I don't think is lighting strike that is where I pulled off the bark that was loose
In my outer yard their is two black walnut trees afew years ago one was hit with lighting
Ever since then that tree has bigger and greener leaves than the other one
the lighting went from the very top to ground

thecfarm

Looks like a knot hole just above the first branch in your first picture and almost looks like another one just above the second branch. That would cause problems. Looks to me not to be a real good looking top to it either. What I mean is healthy.Looks like something might of hit or rubbed up against it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

oscar4749

I got out to take pictures on bore holes.But looking alot closer I tkink it  might be woodpecker holes,what do you think.

Also I think Jeff is right.If you look on right side you can see heak marks from somthing
so maby my sicknes is solved on this one?

Clark

Add to the stressers already mentioned the hack job that the utility company has probably given this tree over the last 20 years and it should be no surprise that it looks a little sickly.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

oscar4749

I don't know if anybody is folling this post. But I did have a service forester look at my property. Without telling him anything that you guys said he came to the same conlusion.So I quess I didn't need him for this anyway. You guys said the same thing that he thought was wrong with it.Thank you'll again for the perfect info.

Murphydog

We seem to have a disease here in the UK which has kind of just apeared,they are calling it Ash die back,as yet it is just affecting young trees.The so called experts are saying it was brought in from Europe in young nursery stock.People who run tree nurserys are being urged to dig up and burn all young Ash trees in an attempt to stop the diseases spreading.A few years ago we had a disease which affected Elm trees,this was called Dutch Elm disease,but that seems to have gone quiet now.

36 coupe

Eab has made it to Maryland and Worcester MA.

Wellmud

It's sad, you can drive down the road in this part of the country and spot the dead ash in the woods a mile away :(
Woodmizer LT35 manual, Kubota L3130, Farmi 351, Stihl 029 super, 3 Logrite canthooks

Smitty316

Here in Missouri the Ash have been dying long before the EAB showed up. I've heard it referred to as "Ash decline".

Smitty

SPIKER

Quote from: Smitty316 on May 19, 2014, 01:37:13 PM
Here in Missouri the Ash have been dying long before the EAB showed up. I've heard it referred to as "Ash decline".

Smitty

I hate it when your ASH is declining... :D :D :D

It has made it to Ohio and is in many of the northern areas already from the drive down the road.   Ash in my woods are all failing from them.   The beetle I been seeing is rather pretty but would rather have my trees than the little buggers no matter how shinny & blue/green they are!   

M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Smitty316

The ash trees have been dying here in Missouri for years before the EAB showed up. A person at the Missouri Botanical Gardens called it Ash Decline. They said it can only be diagnosed with an electron microscope. The EAB is only in a few counties here and spreading, but it looks like most of the ash will be dead before EAB can get to them.

Thanks, Smitty

36 coupe

Ive seen a few big ash trees die in past years.The eab will kill all ash.Ash makes beautiful door and window trim and kitchen cabinets.Yard trees can be treated for 2 bucks a tree.Dont lose your yard trees.I milled a lot of ash trim because it was 1/2 the price of KD oak.A friend found you had to look at the end grain with a magnifying glass to tell ash from red oak.

WDH

You do not need a magnifying glass to see the rays in oak.  They are easily visible to the naked eye.  You can hardly even see them in ash with a magnifying glass. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!