iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder vs dozer

Started by MICKEY108, August 04, 2012, 02:14:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

i was wondering wich one to log with i cant afford both i live in sw va pretty steep terrian is it cheaper to hire some one to built roads thanke for any help

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

treefarmer87

skidder tires and axles have easier upkeep than a dozer. a dozer is good for a all- steep operation.
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Ianab

A dozer will work better in steep terrain, but you don't want to be skidding very far with one.

Some of the local guys will use them for small scale harvests where they are winching logs out of a gully and into a field where it can be loaded onto the trucks. But not for any distance work.

The 3 man crew that harvested a steep hillside at my old place used a skidder and a big excavator. Pushed in some tracks around the hillside and up the gullies using the excavator. Then switched to a grapple and used the excavator to sort, stack and load logs. The track was made flat enough for the skidder to work, winch the logs in from above or below, and then drag them to the landing.

Can you hire a dozer for a couple of days to get the tracks laid out, then work with the skidder?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

MICKEY108

i from chilhowie,va i can hire someone or lease one

PAFaller

If you know most of your jobs will require a dozer you need to own one. Rent, lease, hire etc is great but when you need roads built and the guy expects you to wait 2 weeks before he can get there to start working you are not only paying for services but losing a lot of money sitting still. Many of the mills around here own dozers so they are always ahead of the logging crews building roads. Other mills pay a better cut and skid rate but you do all your own dozer work. I hated the idea of having to run one until I had no choice on a real steep job here in PA. The mill I am working for owns the dozer, the landowner did not really want roads built, so because of those stipulations I am skidding with the mills 550G. The first week or two were horrible and I felt as though I got nothing done, but as I got the hang of it they can be made really productive. In good wood you can get a triaxle load a day out with one, providing you dont have to skid too far. Best part is, as i said before, if I need something done with a the dozer there is no waiting around to get it done. As for maintenance costs its not as extreme as one may think. The undercarriage for that machine costs about 10k. New 23.1-26 tires, if you get good ones which everyone should, cheaper in the long run, are about 2600 a piece. You can get away with only buying 2 at a time I suppose, but if you were to buy 4 its about the same as that undercarriage.
It ain't easy...

Mark Wentzell

A dozer would probably cause more ground damage then a skidder would. Are you talking about a grapple skidder or cable?

MICKEY108

lumberjack48

I skidded with a Case dozer, winch mounted on the back up in Yaak, Mt. Theres no way a skidder could have got around on that steep ground like that Case did.

My S8 IH, Power Shift, 18:4-26 tires loaded with fluid, disk brakes, did very good on steep ground here in Minn. I have to say it impressed me, it would climb and was very stable going up hill or down hill. My C5D TF stick shift, 18:4-34 tires. no fluid, drum brake was worthless on steep ground, very dangerous. I went down a few hills backwards with it, scary ride.

If i were to jump back in the seat tomorrow, i believe for all around use i would take the S8 IH. But this is the thing a skidder has to be set up right.

Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

MICKEY108

if i was to go with a dozer what yall reconmend cat or deere and what size

Thank You Sponsors!