iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT10 vs Norwood LumberLite ML26

Started by George Walnut, August 02, 2012, 01:14:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Walnut

Hey guys,

First post on the forum here. Looking to compare the new LT10 and ML26 models. All the reviews I could find on the forum were for the older models of the Norwood. Basically I am about to purchase a mill, but cannot decide what one to get between these two models. I am looking for some opinions/recommendations, and would love to hear what you guys have to say!

A little information on what the mill will be used for goes as follows. I started my own woodworking company about a year ago when I was 20 and I have grown large enough to justify sawing my own lumber. I mainly build tables, shelving and benches. I will be cutting alot of black walnut, old hand hewn beams, spalted maple, and black cherry.

I have looked through the Norwood and Woodmizer catalogue a million times and just cant decide which one to invest in! The Norwood looks to be a better investment in my eyes, but I could easily be wrong.

Any information you guys can share with me will be greatly appreciated. Thanks  :)

thecfarm

George Walnut,just want to welcome you to the forum. It will be nice to be able to saw your own lumber.Sounds like you have a good business there.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Welcome aboard!  I believe you cannot go wrong either way,

Here is a reference for a gentlemen here who just purchased a 26
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,59800.msg872699.html#msg872699

Here is a thread for my experience so far with my LT-10
For me the decision was proximity to service,  I'm very close to the WM NE shop in Hannibal, NY
www.forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56022.0.html

Also,  It's been said here numerous times,  buy as much motor as you can then go a little bigger.
Best
DGDrls

Greg Brown

Hello and welcome,

I bought a Norwood mx34 in January '12 and I have been VERY pleased with it.  I know Woodmizer products are excellent as well. You could not go wrong with either choice.
Norwood MX34 Pro,  Massey- Ferguson 175

Woodsrover

Post your location and I'm sure there are guys on this forum that will let you come over and try either one out.  I'm in NW Connecticut...You're welcome to come over and use my ML26.

Sixacresand

Hey George. 

If you could arrange (and can wait) to go the Sunbelt Farm Expo in Moultrie, GA in October, most of the sawmill companies have their mills set up to try out.  I know know there were at least five manufacturers there including woodmizer and Baker.  I went with the woodmizer because the distributor was in Georgia and less than a 100 miles from me.  Also the LT10 woodmizer was less expensive (great for a novice like me). 

If you are interested in large lumber production I would definitely go after a bigger hydraulic mill and get the support equipment to go with it.  No human is equipped to handle big logs manually.  Not for long anyway.  LOL

For any mill you buy there is an expert(s) on this forum than with the experience to help you out.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Leigh Family Farm

Did you come to a decision yet? I am just starting the research for a "weekend warrior" sawmill and I would like to know what you are going to go with. My three frontrunners are the WM LT15, TK 1400, and the NW L26.
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

hamish

Over a year ago I was faced with the same problem the LT10 or ML26.  I eneded up with the ML26 based upon the pros and cons of each unit.

Like buying cars or trucks, you can get the base model, or one with air atuomatic etc.... for just a bit more.

What won me on the ML26, was the Honda powerplant, and the ability to add lots of different accessories (toe boards, off rollers, trailer package etc...)
to suit my milling style.

Things to consider, you need handling equipment, logs are heavy, so remember if you dont have machinery to do the work, mechanical advantage is your friend.

Never tried cocaine or crack but have been told the milling bug is somewhat similar.

Get a mill and happy milling!
Norwood ML26, Jonsered 2152, Husqvarna 353, 346,555,372,576

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: hamish on August 05, 2012, 12:42:07 PM

Never tried cocaine or crack but have been told the milling bug is somewhat similar.

The milling bug is more like Myth. Makes you look old  smiley_old_guy but you feel like you're on top of the world  smiley_turkey_dancing.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Riggs

Like some of the others, I think either would be a great choice. I have the Norwood ML26, that I bought in Dec. 2011. For what I want to do, it's great. I also really enjoyed the assembly of my mill.

Here is a link to when I assembled mine.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,55068.0.html
Every man's life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.~Ernest Hemingway

Norwood ML 26

Thank You Sponsors!