iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cutting large diameter logs down to size

Started by WoodenHead, August 01, 2012, 04:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WoodenHead

I'm looking for some white pine to fill some orders, but the only logs available to me right now are 36" to 48" in diameter.  That's certainly more than my mill can handle (LT28).  I was wondering if there is an economical way to quarter the logs into more manageable pieces.

Most of the loggers around here are telling me it isn't worth it to cut pine right now.  Pine prices are low so without the pulp market (most softwood pulp mills are closed or closing) they are finding it better to leave the trees standing. 

Chuck White

Most people will just take a good chainsaw and quarter the log.

It's a lot of extra work, but you gain a lot of produce too.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Mark Wentzell

You might consider bringing in someone with a swing mill, they can cut large logs.

customsawyer

This is the way I do it. If you don't want the trouble bring them down to me. I love the biguns.

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

bandmiller2

Myself I don't mess with those big-uns but if I did I'd take a chainsaw and take off four slabs to a size that would fit on the mill.All your really loosing is the slab,but their a bear to roll. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

steamsawyer

Here's one way to attack it. Of course you will need lots of room around it.

If you see a steam in the background you already know you'r dealing with people like me... There's no telling what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SUuUzAieig
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

captain_crunch

You done that in Left Oregon and homeland Suc would have y in prison before you had next bowel movement
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Migal

:D Guess that's a good reason to stay right of left! JK but my mind was saying how this could have gone wrong mabey I should get out more! wonderful job over all did notice tamp a few times must be the key word  8)
P.S. sure like those steamers too!!!
Stihl learning and picked up my Log Master LM2 Cat 34hp 02 21 12! 230MF+ the toys that go with it! MS361 MS271 Stihl PB500 Echo 48" LogRite 16ft Bass Tracker Pro' Abua Garcia 5600 bait caster, Wood working equipment' Lake Lot never enough time! oh don't forget the fridge with ale! Loving Wife Rebeca

steamsawyer

Y'all need to spend more time on youtube... :D There are a number of videos of log splitting with black powder... Do a search on "anvil shooting." the Myth Busters crew did a TV show about that...... Fun with energetic materials. ;D
J. A. Vance circular sawmill, 52" blade, powered by a 70 HP 9 1/2 x 10 James Leffel portable steam engine.

Inside this tired old mans body is just a little boy that wants to go out and play.

Great minds think alike.....  Does your butt itch too?

Alan Rudd
Steam Punk Extraordinaire.

NMFP

This is something I do all the time.  I take a large bar and cut the length of the log either to the pith or very close to the pith.  Then pick it up with a forklift or back hoe or something and drop it.  If possible, try to drop it on the side that hasnt been cut through.  You might have to drop 2-3 times but it will split and then be manageable.  You will still get wide boards and its the easiest method for splitting and the safest.

bandmiller2

For each bandmill there is a" largest practical size"wile you may excede it slightly it will cost you massive amounts of time.Myself 30" big end is it,I loose money going larger.There is always the great white whale,but he comes at a price. Frank C.

Axe Handle Hound

Quote from: bandmiller2 on August 02, 2012, 08:05:30 AM
There is always the great white whale,but he comes at a price. Frank C.

I think I'm going to post this quote in my shop where all potential customers can see it. 

bandmiller2

Hound,have at it, no copyright.Here's anouther "fast,cheap,and easy are seductive sirens, its a rare man that does not court their pleasures" Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!