iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What would you pay?

Started by ATLGA, August 01, 2012, 09:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATLGA

I have a farmer that is offering me 10-12 Black Walnut trees for $1,000. They range from 18" to 24". Each tree should yield two logs and look relativity clear. I would have to get them cut down and transported to my mill for another $1000-$1200. I dont get a lot of opportunities for that much walnut in GA. It just seems way to high when I can buy it for 225 to 255 from the big mills.
America First.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

I think you just answered your own question. Unless there's something special about these trees/logs, why buy them at that price?

Herb

Overlength

Overall market right now is flooded with Walnut, after 2 years of can't find enough, but still brings good money. It is Walnut. Sounds like you couldn't lose at that price if logs are mostly good#1&2 sawlogs. Would matter what bf is there. Sounds like a lot more than 1000 bf. maybe 2000 bf?= 50 cents a foot? Or something in between?
Woodmizer LT30, Solar Kiln 400 bf

Kansas

On a thread, Paul Case talks about Missouri Walnut offering 10 bucks a log for 18" walnut logs. Obviously, there is no way to compare those logs with whatever you have. But generally speaking the farther south you go, the less walnut logs are worth. I think in the current market, that is way too much. I guess the question is, how bad do you want them. I would just shoot him an offer of what they are worth to you. He can choose to accept or decline.

CalebL

Quote from: Kansas on August 01, 2012, 11:18:10 AM
On a thread, Paul Case talks about Missouri Walnut offering 10 bucks a log for 18" walnut logs. Obviously, there is no way to compare those logs with whatever you have. But generally speaking the farther south you go, the less walnut logs are worth. I think in the current market, that is way too much. I guess the question is, how bad do you want them. I would just shoot him an offer of what they are worth to you. He can choose to accept or decline.

I pay around $25 a log for 24" 10' log if they were pretty clear.  Of course I pay less if they don't look that good.  But even down here in Arkansas when you mention black walnut, people think they just struck gold.  I've had people get downright mad when I tell them those prices.  And forget about trying to explain to someone that the log has metal in it by looking at the blue staining. 
2005 LT40 HDD34
2000 Cat 226 Skid Loader

Norm

I'd pass at that price too. In my area there is no real market for it.

levans

I'm in middle TN, I have a man giving me three good size walnut trees just to get them out of his yard. Every fall there are tons of adds on Craigs list giving away walnut trees just to not have to pick up the nuts. Just my 1 and 1/2 cents worth.

tcsmpsi

I would be more inclined to offer to cut and haul the trees away for him, for no charge. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

kgbond

I have a like job here but pine. The land owner is paying me to remove the trees about 24 total. . $50 dollars per hour and I get the trees. But he wants the site left clean, that takes time.

Kimball

mikeb1079

i was once really hungry for walnut logs (hadn't sawn any) and i overpaid for a few.  now i'll watch craigslist and sometimes you'll get em for free or some small fee like 25 to 50 bucks a log.  this is for already cut (i haul)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

Down here, good grade hardwood brings about $45/ton delivered to the mill (tractor trailer loads).  That is the price that I start at when considering the value for walnut.  There is not enough walnut in Georgia for there to be a walnut market, so offering the going price for the best grade hardwood is very fair to both parties. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ATLGA

UPDATE -- apparently all walnut logs on earth are Veneer grade and a recent caller let me know her trees are worth $1400 each.... I am gonna just stop looking for these darn things.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
America First.

tyb525

Yeah a guy got pretty upset when he called asking about how much his 3 20" trees were, 2 red oak and one walnut.

Let's just say he thought I would tell him they were worth more than $1000, cause his buddies said so or something ::)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

5quarter

naturally all walnut trees produce veneer grade timber. even the ones growing roughly sideways along creek banks. fallen branches are like drops of gold. in fact many tree services pay a homeowner for the privilege of trimming their walnut tree, because there is no doubt that even the brush is highly valuable. Recently I had someone offer to sell me some branches from his walnut tree, said I could have all of it for $100. even though I know what a fantastic opportunity this was to own a pile of walnut brush, for some unknown reason, I turned him down.

;).
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

jdonovan

Quote from: tyb525 on August 06, 2012, 11:42:40 PM
Let's just say he thought I would tell him they were worth more than $1000, cause his buddies said so or something ::)

Everyone seems to know what they are worth but for some reason they can't get anyone to pay that price.

Something is only 'worth that' if you can get the money for it.

stavebuyer

Yard trees are what they are and markets certainly differ around the country. Walnut has cooled off alot but we are still selling walnut sawlogs on the export market. If they are woods grown trees; $800mbf doyle would be about average for tree run walnut sawlogs 12"+ delivered to my yard. $400-$500mbf stumpage wouldn't be out of line here.

Kansas

I think I posted this years ago, but once had someone show up at the mill a piece of oak. In the back of the pickup. His buddies at the bar said it was worth 500 dollars at least. It was a small pickup and wasn't even sagging. Same as someone calling me that they had a huge walnut tree in their yard,at least 3 feet in diameter. I explain why we don't buy them. He said, I know it doesn't have metal in it, I planted it myself 35 years ago.

Stavebuyer, sounds like you have about the same market as the market is around here. The question is, does the market come back this fall?

Thank You Sponsors!