iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I get emails...

Started by Jeff, July 30, 2012, 07:57:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Having the email of record for the Forestry Forum, I'm constantly getting emails from scammers that must somehow index the forum looking for keywords, then submit "orders" to me asking if I take credit cards.  I thought I'd paste a few from this past week before I delete my junk mail.  :)

Hi Owner
                  My name is Dennis Bright and i want to place an order of Chainsaw Oil. please i want you to get back to me with the types and sizes you have available with the prices quote as well. please i will also need your website so that i can go through and see the other product you have. thank you and don't forget to let me know the types of credit cards you do accept for the payment.
regards......Dennis
---------------------------
Hello Good Day,
  This is Richard.With regards to your Company i am sending this email Regards to
order some ( Plastic Pallet )i will like to know the type and sizes you have in stock
and get me the sales price of one.do you accept credit card as a form of payment.
Hope to read from you soon on my Order Request....

With Kind Regards,

Richard Johnson

--------------------------

Hello Good Day,
   This is Melvin .With regards to your Company i am sending this email Regards to order some ( Pallet Boxes ) i will like to know the type and sizes you have in stock and get me the sales price of one .do you accept credit card as a form of payment.Hope to read from you soon on my Order Request....

With Kind Regards,

------------------

Good Day,
Am John Freeman i want to know whether you carry(Wood Planer) in stock for sale.If you do so kindly email me with the sizes and the price ranges on that so that i will know the quantity to offer and also i want to know if you accept credit card as form of payment.Are you the Sales Manager or the Owner?Awaiting for your prompt reply.
Regard
John Freeman

---------------

Good Day,
Am John Freeman i want to know whether you carry(Tugger Winch) in stock for sale.If you do so kindly email me with the sizes and the price ranges on that so that i will know the quantity to offer and also i want to know if you accept credit card as form of payment.Are you the Sales Manager or the Owner?Awaiting for your prompt reply.
Regard
John Freeman

-----------------------

Good Day,
Am John Freeman i want to know whether you carry(CHAIN MORTISING) in stock for sale.If you do so kindly email me with the sizes and the price ranges on that so that i will know the quantity to offer and also i want to know if you accept credit card as form of payment.Are you the Sales Manager or the Owner?Awaiting for your prompt reply.
Regard
John Freeman

---------------------

Dear sir/Madam

Good day my name is JEFF LUCAS and will like to place an order from your inventory about the Rototiller,i will like to  know the types of  Rototiller you have in stock,could you please get back to me with the types so as to proceed with this order? Thank you and counting on with your co-operation...
JEFF LUCAS

---------------------

HELLO,

I AM JEFF WILLSON AND I WILL LIKE TO KNOW IF YOU CARRY (PORTABLE LUMBER MILL)FOR SALE.AND IF YES,REPLY ME BACK WITH YOUR WEBSITE SO THAT I CAN SELECT THE ONE THAT I WILL LIKE TO ORDER,ALSO I AM SHIPPING THE (PORTABLE LUMBER MILL) TO ONE OF MY COMPANY IN SWEDEN AND I WILL RECOMMEND A FREIGHT COMPANY FOR THE PICKED UP..THANK YOU AND HOPE TO HEAR FROM YOU SOON.

THANK YOU ...

-----------------------

Good Day,

This is Ron Walter and I will like to order ( Sod Cutters ). Do get back to me with the types and prices for the ones you do carry and let me know if there is an extra cost when using visa or master Card.Kindly get back to me with your name Are you the sales manager or the Owner?

Best Regards.
Ron Walter

------------------------

HELLO AM MARK I SEND THIS ENQUIRY IN REGARDS TO ORDER SOME Hardware ClothWELL CAN I HAVE SOME PRICES,TYPES AND DO YOU TAKE CREDIT CARD PAYMENT

------------------------

Dear Sir / Madam

Am Mr David Holder i got in contact with your company to see if you
sell Stump Grinder , if you do i will like you to email me with the
types you have and the price for one so i will confirm the quantity i
will be ordering and do you accept Master or Visa credit card as a
form of payment , but if you don't have this type kindly email me with
the types that you have or the one nearer to the one am requesting or
you can direct me to you website so i can see what you have for sale .

Thank you
God Bless
Mr David Holder

-----------------------------

Hello My name is James Gary and i want to know if you do sell Hunting Blind Plans  and if you do email me with the Types and Models that you have Including With their prices range On them and also what type of payment do you accept Thank you

James Gary

---------------------------

Am Dave Bills.         
                  I want to know whether you carry (Barking Tool) in stock for sale if you do so email me with the sizes and the price ranges on that so that i will know the quantity to offer .Awaiting for your prompt reply. And do you accept credit card for this order

Thank you.                                               

Dave Bills.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

I get them too all the time. My Spam Arrest program knocks most of them out though.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Jeff

Is that the same spam arrest that requires the person that sent you an email the first time, to click on a link, then enter a captcha code in order for you email to be approved?

There are probably dozens of people that never get their approval when they try to register on the forum because they never think, that when they register, the forum software has no way to validate that email that spam arrest sends back to us on registration.

ellmoe

Jeff, what is the ultimate goal of these "customers"? Obtaining product with bogus cards (seems unlikely) or to eventually get some routing numbers from the "scammee", or ...?
  Inquiring minds want to know! ;)
Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Raider Bill

Quote from: Jeff on July 30, 2012, 08:42:15 AM
Is that the same spam arrest that requires the person that sent you an email the first time, to click on a link, then enter a captcha code in order for you email to be approved?

There are probably dozens of people that never get their approval when they try to register on the forum because they never think, that when they register, the forum software has no way to validate that email that spam arrest sends back to us on registration.

Yep same thing one. I've used it for years as I get on average 150 - 200 spams a day as I've had the same email for about 20 years, an am the point of contact for my website. I check the unverified list a couple times a day and authorize those that I want to get through that didn't go through the verification process like you describe. After awhile it is just a normal thing to do. I like it.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Norm

I've switched all of my email accounts to google and have almost zero problems with spam, maybe a couple a month get through. You can still use your original account addy too.

tcsmpsi

I notice the bulk of mine are generated by the keywords, "guns", "knives", "shooting range". 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You can almost tell by the way they write, they're from another country.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: ellmoe on July 30, 2012, 09:08:20 AM

Jeff, what is the ultimate goal of these "customers"? Obtaining product with bogus cards (seems unlikely) or to eventually get some routing numbers from the "scammee", or ...?
  Inquiring minds want to know! ;)
Mark

Mark, I'm not exactly sure, but I think it has to do with stolen credit cards and fake shipping companies. Products purchased with stolen cards by overseas buyers, but they insist on using their own shipping company or "agent" for the product deliveries. I'm not sure at what point the scam is perpetrated.

tcsmpsi

I followed through on one of them a few years ago.  'Fellow' from Singapore wanted 300 specific knives.  Back and forthed and couple times, I got everything lined out on this end, just like normal.  Everything down to taking payment.  None of their supplied credit card numbers would validate.  I suspect they were stolen numbers that had already been 'found out'.   :)
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

WH_Conley

Gee, Jeff, I didn't know you sold all that stuff. You are a busy guy. ;D
Bill

tyb525

Tugger winches and sod cutters, huh?? Sounds fishy to me! ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

clww

Last couple of years, when I was selling firewood on craigslist, I'd get emails like those a couple times a month.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Brucer

i get them in clusters -- several during a week, then nothing for a couple of months. Most of mine are related to sawmill equipment.

Notice that the majority of them have the requested items in brackets? That suggests that someone has produced a generic e-mail with a "fill in the blank" spot between the brackets. The senders don't understand English well enough to realize that the brackets are supposed to be removed as well.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Ianab

There was another theory I read the day on the poor grammar.

The theory was that anyone who was dumb enough to take those spam message as legit, was also dumb enough to fall for the scam they are pushing.

Anyone smart enough to see through the scam would be warned off by the nature of the first email. So only the suckers would respond. This way the scammers don't waste time on people that are smart enough to avoid the dodgy checks, advance fee scams and whatever else they are up to.

The 0.1 percent that fall for those messages are the ones that they actually have a chance of scamming.  :-\

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sprucebunny

I might get upset if I had a tool that barked  :D

Wonder if they even know what they are asking for ?
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

trapper

clicked on the wrong link on a sears survey.  Now get 25 spam a day
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Den Socling

Since I sell vacuum kilns, I get request for "vacuums".

Jeff

I think a lot of this stuff comes from if you have a registered domain and do not have domain privacy protection. They get your contact information for your website from your whois record with the registrar company. They want as much to keep the record private a year as they do to buy the domain. That sort of thing just peeves me as it shouldn't cost anything to have the privacy. The only reason to charge for it, is if they are also charging someone that is getting your info.   This sort of thing to me is the same as having to have anti virus software and pay for it. The operating system vendor, aka microsoft in most cases, should be responsible for supplying that fix to the defects in their product. 

Magicman

PatD's email was getting clobbered with pharmaceutical type stuff.  I figured out how to copy each address as they came in into a spam catcher.  It took a couple of weeks, but now she is not bothered with them anymore. 

When they come in, the catcher matches the address and automatically deletes them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

"I will have the spam, spam, spam, and eggs."
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Holmes

Quote from: WDH on July 31, 2012, 08:44:39 PM
"I will have the spam, spam, spam, and eggs."

Green eggs and spam, spam I am... :)
Think like a farmer.

WildDog

QuoteYou can almost tell by the way they write, they're from another country.

What, like Australia. ;) they'd normally kick off with, G'day :)
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Nothing to do with email,but WildDog got me thinking about Bangor,Maine. Mainers pronounce it with almost 2 g,s others pronounce it wayyyy differant.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!