iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

side loader log truck

Started by MICKEY108, July 29, 2012, 08:55:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MICKEY108

i was wondering where i could get some plans to built one

fishpharmer

I think you can find plans here on FF, I think it was member Pineywoods that sketched out the basic design of a sideloader.  Of course I may be mistaken.  You may try looking through his photo gallery.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

Those side loaders are really interesting. I never seen one this far North.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MICKEY108

i heard they is a place in savannah,tn that builts them i guess put it on your truck i wonder how much that would cost

snowstorm

i know where there is one. a timber tosser. this one is on a 50's ford. looks just like new. why would anyone want one?? they were a good way to get hurt

snowstorm

Quote from: thecfarm on July 30, 2012, 06:27:59 AM
Those side loaders are really interesting. I never seen one this far North.
they were built here in maine

thecfarm

Still never saw one in my area  ;D Never even heard of one until I saw it on here.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Side loader

The side loader is a good option for the small time landowner/logger on a budget or who just doesn't want to fool with the expense of a knuckleboom. There are a few left around here in the southeast.  For a "bug spot" or other small job they work really well, of course the norm now is tree length wood here. I still use my side loader truck to haul tops every now an then and to move equipment. I know of one other in my area who uses one. He is a retired timber buyer and moves a fair amount of wood for a bob truck. The side loader is really an antique relic from yesteryear but an an interesting piece of equipment. IMHO they are as safe as the operator. 
Side loader log truck w/492 Detroit, bell super T feller buncher, Barko 160 with JD power, Kubota M4900 with brush raker grapple on front and shop built bunching grapple on back. JD 350B Dozer; JD 548D skidder;  and a couple of saws.

shinnlinger

Saw a "Timber Tosser" at the Cole transportation museum in Bangor, Maine last week.

Turns out my cousin lives about two feet from the Sprowl's and I stopped in to ask about it when I was up visiting.  George sr, the real authority, wasn't there, but jr recalled they tossed the logs pretty high so it took some practice in throttle and linkage control to load and not do any damage.  He said they were pretty popular for about 10 years before grapples became common.

Later that night I had a beer with the son of the guy who restored the truck in the exhibit.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Banjo picker

There were many around here, I am only about 40 miles from Savannah Tn.  They were called the Savannah loader in this area, and while they do look dangerous...I have never heard of anyone getting killed by one.... There is an invitation for you folks to do some research.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

pineywoods

There were quite a few in this area, most of them were shop built, including the winch. There's some posts on here somewhere with drawing showing how to build one. Around here, they were called sidewinders. Tree length logs and knuckleboom loaders pretty well sealed their fate.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

coxy

funny I remember my dad talking about having one for about a week said it would toss logs over the bunks something about not being able to get the spring presser right or something like that

snowstorm

when i was a kid i watched crobsy load logs on that old ford. he was from appleton. that timber tosser was a scary way to load wood to much rpm and it went over the truck and landed on the ground

CCC4

Side loaders are the best option for horse logging. Side loaders revolutionized log loading in my region maby years back.

There is an art to it and lots of room for error. Trip bunks are dangerous and most side loaders had trip bunks.

sandsawmill14

Quote from: CCC4 on August 18, 2015, 06:21:11 AM
Side loaders are the best option for horse logging. Side loaders revolutionized log loading in my region maby years back.

There is an art to it and lots of room for error. Trip bunks are dangerous and most side loaders had trip bunks.

using those loaders are just like felling or snakeing logs with tractor if you live through the learning process they are fine pieces of equipment. i know of at least 3 over the last 20 years or so that were killed  while dragging logs with tractor.  2 by widow makers and 1 by dragging a small tree down and it hitting him in the back of the head  :(   if you are in the timber industry the main thing is know your limitations and respect them !!! :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

thecfarm

sandsawmill14,that is sad to hear. Speed too has alot to do with accidents,deaths too. Seem like last year a fellow got hurt on a tractor by skidding logs. Damage was done to the tractor too!!! Slow down!! My Father skidded out many logs on just a 3pt hitch. Just have to be real careful. Than we brought a 3pt winch. Things can still happen,but it is safer now.

sandsawmill14

thats for sure cfarm. the same goes for being around sawmills. my granddad got his leg cut off by falling and getting it caught in the belts and run around the pulley on a 100 hp motor but they were able to reattach it and a man about 10 miles from where  my mill is fell into a circle saw and lost his arm between elbow and shoulder they wernt able to save his arm but think how close that was to killing him :o  i may have heard of more accident than most because of doing electrical repairs at so many mills. im sure everyone knows someone  who has been injured/killed its a dangerous way to make a living but its just a way of life for some of us :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Banjo picker

Saw this one yesterday with a nice load of popular.

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

loggah

The DOT would impound that little chevy up here !!!!! :o :o that load looks to be a bit overboard! ;D I remember years ago i used to see George Sprowl and his wife at a lot of antique truck shows with their custom "B"model mack,nice people. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

sawguy21

He wouldn't get far here either. :D I have never seen a sidewinder, the mental picture of loading scares the bejabbers out of me. Without hydraulics, how did they return it for the next log?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

snowstorm

Quote from: loggah on August 20, 2015, 04:07:21 PM
The DOT would impound that little chevy up here !!!!! :o :o that load looks to be a bit overboard! ;D I remember years ago i used to see George Sprowl and his wife at a lot of antique truck shows with their custom "B"model mack,nice people. Don
that mack has a for sale sign on it if you want it. green with a dump body. he drives a mini yellow pete now

loggah

I just dont need another project at the moment !!!!! ;D
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Banjo picker

Why in the world would they do that?

Now don't get riled up...I work in maintenance not enforcement, and I asked permission before I took the picture.  Banjo

loggah

You can barely get a brand new truck here to pass a DOT inspection!! >:( i know poplar isn't that heavy but that 1 ton truck is "overloaded"!!!!!

snowstorm

i dont know if george has a web site. he calls it antique express. in the spring he has an old car truck get to  gather. we are in the same town

Thank You Sponsors!